*Serious subject* - Protection while walk/jog/running in you

Options
123457»

Replies

• littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Crikey! Here in England we'd be arrested for carrying any of these weapons! but this post has made me think...as the headphones and loud music are always on! I guess the only English defence would be to turn down the music...and outrun anyone!
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Love this! I am a female democrat who carries daily and loves shooting. We are a rare breed.
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bumping for later. I don't jog outdoors much yet but intend to in the future. Would probably consider pepper spray or one of those ASP batons I saw mentioned on page one. No firearms in my household. Will come back and read other posts later.

P.S. Just for a little humor, I originally clicked into this topic b/c I thought it was going to be about bladder protection. 2 babies and that's the protection I think of when you talk about jogging. LOL
    lmao this is hilarious!!
    I'm another Canadian (I'm guessing most of you are american??) feel pretty safe, but will re-consider. Not likely to get a gun though as I don't believe in them in the household, but possibly pepper spray or something...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I carry a loud-*kitten* handheld taser and don't wear earphones so I can hear everything from cars coming to people coming. Some people let their dogs run wild in the neighborhood. The taser will scare the dog away with the noise at least. My dad's been taking long walks for years and has had several scary run ins with stray or loose dogs. Not people yet, but he's 6'3" and ex-military.

I personally don't like to take any chances if I can help it. There are perverts everywhere. Sometimes even your friends are closet whackjobs and you don't even know it until years later, lol... so you can't possibly assume everyone in the neighborhood (or travelling through) is sane.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    There were a lot of stories going around here about a guy sexually assaulting women along this very popular running trail in the middle of the city (where I go running at least once a week). The attacks were pretty much all at night or very early in the morning, 2 times of day that I don't go running outside, but still, a bit alarming. My boyfriend has now become pretty much terrified every time I go running alone, but this lil lady is prepared :)

I carry mace with me at all times anyway (I have one in my purse that looks like a small perfume spray bottle---probably doesn't smell like perfume!) and I got this handy lil mace that has an elastic strap to attach to my hand so it's in my hand at all times while I'm out running. I've never had to use it, and hope that I never do, but it does make me feel a bit safer. Plus my dad taught me how to fight like a boy. Never had to use that skill (ok once, when I was 15, punched a guy in the face), but I do have the skill.

I've been mulling over the idea of getting a small gun and my concealed handgun license (I'm in Texas, you can carry a gun almost everywhere as long as you've got a license), but one step at a time!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Glad i don't live where you live.

that thought has never ever once even crossed my mind.

Thank goodness
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Glad i don't live where you live.

that thought has never ever once even crossed my mind.

Thank goodness

You know, I thought the same thing for a really long time. "Oh it's SO safe here, nothing like that ever happens." And generally speaking, that's pretty much true. I live in one of the safest "large" (ok it's not large, but it's defined as a large city because of the metroplex population) cities in the country, but still, stuff happens. I'm not paranoid or anything, but I just think I'd rather be over-protected than under-protected.
  • jakki_brown
    jakki_brown Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Are you really encouraging people to go run with guns and knives?

I'm encouraging people to be safe. I wouldn't advise doing anything that anyone is unprepared for, but I carry what I have been trained with. My prerogative. I just know that there's been a ton of cases of abductions/injuries/assaults/rapes/murders in my area and I don't want to be a victim.

Yeah, I live in an area with a lot of gang activity, a SERIOUS gang that has the FBI up their hiney. They've killed federal witnesses and they kidnap women and sell them.

Then it's probably advisable for you to move or not run in your neighborhood. Running with a gun is probably not going to help you if they're that organized and high profile, just saying.

For many people that is not an option. I think too many are taking this far beyond the intent. The OP is trying to make you aware of what COULD go wrong while out and about, daylight or dark.
  • jakki_brown
    jakki_brown Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the idea that we need to protect ourselves.... That being said it goes against everything I believe in to carry a weapon.
    =
    I appreciate the idea that we need to protect ourselves....that being said it goes against everything I believe in to actually take steps to protect myself.

You can be as aware of your surroundings as you want, but that's not going to keep you from being attacked in most cases.

Neither is carrying a gun unless I am waving around for would be attackers to see and to be perfectly honest that would mess with my pace, lol.

No, a gun won't keep you from being attacked, but it sure could help in stopping it once it's started. So could a knife. I actually prefer a knife to a gun. It's easier to conceal and much easier to use effectively when you know anatomy. If I had had a knife on me when I was attacked I guarantee that it would not have progressed into rape. I will NEVER leave home unarmed or leave my home itself unarmed for as long as I live in the States.

I am really sorry for what happened to you. I think that our personal experiences affect how we look at this. As someone who lost an innocent family member because of a violent weapon I will have to agree to disagree. Carrying a weapon is not for me. It is not in my nature and the idea frightens me much more than the idea of having to defend myself.

Is it not in your nature to defend yourself? To allow someone to do you bodily harm is acceptable? The fact that I would be willing to take a gun with me doesn't make me have any different of a "nature" than some of you guys here. 1. Taking a gun doesn't mean you're actively looking for someone to shoot. It's a precaution. It doesn't even have to be used in order to serve the purpose.

We have the right to protection. Would I kill someone with this gun or knife? Probably not. Not unless it was me or the attacker. And if I did get the attacker, I would feel horrible, but atleast that's one less attacker on the streets preying on the innocent.
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I always take my small children when I go for a walk which means I only walk around the nearby college campus which has off duty police officers for security that patrol regularly. I typically see 2-3 patrols go by when out walking. They also have the security poles every quarter mile or so with alarm buttons. I carry a large stick that is attached to my stroller with velcro in a pinch it can be used as a wepon but it is more for dogs and coyotes. There is also pepper spray in the top compartment of my stroller. I grew up in the country that was quickly being encroached upon by a growing town. My father refused to let me walk on the country roads until I took and passed a self defense course. This was repeated every year and I still do it. Now that I live in a big city I am glad that I take the course and will continue to do so. I would never put my children at risk and pushing a stroller means that I am that much slower trying to get away. I am thankful that I have never had to use my knowlege but feel reasured that if needed it is there for me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's illegal to carry pepper spray or any other concealed weapons here in Canada (getting a carry permit, let alone a CCW, is virtually impossible) but you can by "bear" spray. I don't worry for myself but I have encouraged my daughter to be prepared for wildlife encounters.

I know it's not practical for everyone but I would strongly encourage women to run/walk in groups (even in "good" neighbourhoods) or run with a big dog.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I have been stalked and harassed in the early morning while running. Had to call 911 once. I am also in Canada and now carry bear spray (I have also been menaced by big dogs and seen coyotes and foxes on my runs, so I have lots of good reason to carry it).