Two day full body strength training routine

Options

Replies

• goodthings
    Options
    Awesome!! Rejoining the gym tomorrow, I'm psyched to try that out.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Kick some butt!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Bumpity bumper bump
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Good stuff! Thanks.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    You're welcome.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have been looking around for something like this......thanks for your hard work!!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    My pleasure! Let me know if you have any questions.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    BUMP BUMP BUMP!!
  • kerramarie
    kerramarie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh. I just spent the last 10 minutes trying to find this post, haha. Finally getting around to developing my own routine, now that I've met with a PT & learned technique on a few lifts :) Thanks again for the post.
  • lizlee8
    lizlee8 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump!
    cheers :drinker:
    x
  • Twatley703
    Twatley703 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jenn638
    Jenn638 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump. thanks for a great thread.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks, just what I needed!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Oh my gosh. I just spent the last 10 minutes trying to find this post, haha. Finally getting around to developing my own routine, now that I've met with a PT & learned technique on a few lifts :) Thanks again for the post.

You're welcome! You can always email me if you're looking for something in particular. But glad you found it and good luck! Hopefully your trainer had a clue about exercise form!
  • HarmonyNLife
    HarmonyNLife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks a bunch!
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Hey Steve- This might be off topic but I have a question about muscle and calorie deficit, strength and gains. I can make my muscles stronger, able to lift a bit more over time but that is not gaining? Stronger is different? I have been lifting for about a month. I am eating around 1500-1600 at 162 pounds, 5' 9". I am getting so much stronger, fat is going so I can really see the muscles now but how can the muscles get stronger without gains? They are sore and and repair every time...maybe this is just semantics and now everyone will scream at me about no muscle gain on a cal deficit. But I was just wondering about it. I love the new strength and I love what I am seeing, the inches are flying off and I feel amazing. Thank you for all of your help. You are an amazing encouragement to so many :smile:

Thanks, Laurie
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Hi Laurie,

I think this is a perfectly normal question. A good one, in fact.

Think of it like this... we really can't look at our muscles without also looking at our nervous systems. The brain and spinal cord comprise the central nervous system, and then nerves branch out from there (the spinal cord) attaching to our muscles. Hence the term, nueromuscular system.

What's this have to do with your question?

Well, strength is a manifestation of multiple variables. Many of them having to do with neural adaptations. Put simply, your nervous system changes in response to progressive resistance training in a way that leads to greater force production at the muscle level.

The nervous system sends electrical signals to the muscles, which sets off a host of events that causes muscle contraction. By way of training, some of the adaptations include the ability for these electrical signals to recruit greater amounts of muscle fibers. Greater recruitment means greater force production. Another adaptation is where the nervous system begins sending a faster rate of electrical signals, which also leads to greater force production.

Both of these adaptations are examples of how someone can get stronger without necessarily getting bigger.

There are other adaptations having to do with coordination (essentially learning to move in a habituated way).

Does that help?
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    It does help, thank you. I always thought it was strange that people say you don't gain but really we do gain, strength, not size or muscle weight. So when you tear your muscles after working out and they "fill in" or "repair" they are not growing bigger but are getting stronger and this all has to do with neuromuscular system. Very cool how everything works.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    It does help, thank you. I always thought it was strange that people say you don't gain but really we do gain, strength, not size or muscle weight. So when you tear your muscles after working out and they "fill in" or "repair" they are not growing bigger but are getting stronger and this all has to do with neuromuscular system. Very cool how everything works.

Well they can certainly gain in size as well assuming multiple things are in place such as progressive loading, sufficient calories, the right amount of tension and work, etc. My previous post was more to explain that it's very possible to get stronger without getting bigger.