Two day full body strength training routine

Options

Replies

• TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    It does help, thank you. I always thought it was strange that people say you don't gain but really we do gain, strength, not size or muscle weight. So when you tear your muscles after working out and they "fill in" or "repair" they are not growing bigger but are getting stronger and this all has to do with neuromuscular system. Very cool how everything works.

Well they can certainly gain in size as well assuming multiple things are in place such as progressive loading, sufficient calories, the right amount of tension and work, etc. My previous post was more to explain that it's very possible to get stronger without getting bigger.

Right! That's me now, getting stronger not bigger, and loving it!
  • timingsands
    Options
    Thank you for the great info.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great info.

You're welcome!
  • googly1982
    Options
    bump
  • richeydoc
    richeydoc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This looks like a pretty good routine, similar to Stronglifts or Starting Strength in a lot of ways. I like how you aren't vain enough to plaster the internet with banner ads about your "method" though!
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    wow...huge bump! thanks for the post! :)
  • stroutman81
    Options
    This looks like a pretty good routine, similar to Stronglifts or Starting Strength in a lot of ways. I like how you aren't vain enough to plaster the internet with banner ads about your "method" though!

Yeah, I don't pretend to own any methods like some other people. As I always like remind people, "As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

There's nothing new under the sun. Everything that's being packaged up and sold to the masses are merely one man's take on how to best apply the principles. In other words, he's selling methods, but the sad thing is, he's pushing them off as principles if that makes any sense.

More importantly, I just threw this up here as an example. I can honestly say that no two programs are identical for any of my clients.

Anyhow, thanks!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    wow...huge bump! thanks for the post! :)

You're welcome!
  • mirgss
    Options
    I'm about to try this today...do you think that one day of recovery is enough from a full body workout? I only have access to a gym (right now) on Mondays and Wednesdays...alternately...how would I spread a workout like this over 3 days? I want to get maximum benefit without hurting myself :D
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Super Info! Thanks:-)! Bump
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'm about to try this today...do you think that one day of recovery is enough from a full body workout? I only have access to a gym (right now) on Mondays and Wednesdays...alternately...how would I spread a workout like this over 3 days? I want to get maximum benefit without hurting myself :D

If you're only strength training twice per week, it's ideal to spread those sessions as far apart as possible in my opinion. But you take what you can given your schedule... if has to be Monday and Wednesday... so be it. You'll be fine with a day's rest in between. Since it's a new program to you.... you might be sore. But even with soreness, unless it's unbearably painful to a degree that it distorts optimal movement, it'd okay to train through it.

Do you mean what days would I suggest training if you had the chance to train 3 days per week? If so, the same rule applies... try to spread them as far apart as possible. Lots of people opt for MWF but I prefer MWSa as it fits my schedule best.
  • mirgss
    Options
    Okay, thanks! I can try spreading it out a little more but I don't have very much weight equipment at home...it's a pain to use that vs. what I can find at the gym.

What I meant by 3x a week is if I were to do a full body workout MWF...I see elsewhere you've recommended an ABA BAB kind of schedule though :) Teaches me for asking questions before I've done all my reading!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Okay, thanks! I can try spreading it out a little more but I don't have very much weight equipment at home...it's a pain to use that vs. what I can find at the gym.

What I meant by 3x a week is if I were to do a full body workout MWF...I see elsewhere you've recommended an ABA BAB kind of schedule though :) Teaches me for asking questions before I've done all my reading!

Oh okay... yeah, the ABA BAB format can definitely be utilized. As can numerous other options. With my in-person clients, I tend to do 3 distinct workouts across the week... but honestly... I can't explain what they look like as it varies beyond belief per person, goal, etc.

For example, I just set up some off-season programming for a team I'm working with and it's 3x/wk of full body training. Each day utilizes the same 3 exercises - squat, bench press, and romanian deadlift. However, on each day each exercise has a different emphasis. So one day the squat might be heavy (3-6 reps) the bench press might be moderate (8-12 reps) and the RDL might be explosive (lower loads done as explosive as possible). Then it cycles through so each exercise gets a turn with heavy, moderate, and explosive.

In addition to this foundation, there's accessory work that comes after these three movements that varies based on the day.... some sort of pulling work, some sort of core work, etc.

Like I said... it can get rather complex. But the point it... there are ENDLESS ways of structuring things.
  • mirgss
    Options
    Okay...well, I will start with this...and may be back to ask more questions once I get bored!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I'll be here so no worries! :)
  • jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Marking
  • stroutman81
    Options
    bump
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hungryPHATbunny
    hungryPHATbunny Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi Steve,

I read your posts regularly and clearly you have a lot off knowledge to impart- so firstly thank you. I work out at home mainly and recently downloaded 'workouts' ( a free app) on my iPad. I tried the complete body workout and was wondering how much time people spend on strength training? My goad now is like many to build more muscle and lose last few pounds of fat etc. I am doing cardio 4 times a week and was thinking of doing strength twice a week, but for how long? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Hi Steve,

I read your posts regularly and clearly you have a lot off knowledge to impart- so firstly thank you. I work out at home mainly and recently downloaded 'workouts' ( a free app) on my iPad. I tried the complete body workout and was wondering how much time people spend on strength training? My goad now is like many to build more muscle and lose last few pounds of fat etc. I am doing cardio 4 times a week and was thinking of doing strength twice a week, but for how long? Any thoughts or advice? Thanks

Conditioning work can be timed base. Generally speaking though, strength training isn't. Rather, strength training is volume based. Does that make sense? Cardio, for example, can be measured in seconds or minutes where strength training is measured in sets and reps.

One way to measure volume is sets x reps per movement or muscle group.

There are no hard, fast rules but in general, something like 15-40 reps per movement/muscle group per session is optimal. Two to four times per week is about right. I'm sure 15-40 sounds like a large range, and I agree... it is. But it all depends on the program and the intensity/load. For example, if I were focusing on very heavy loads that limit me to 1-2 reps per set.... I'm not going to sit there and compile enough sets to get me to 40 reps. Something like 6-8 sets of 2 reps would suffice.

With lighter loads, which is what most everyone around here should be focusing on, you might be doing 2-4 sets of 6-12 reps.

See how this works?

This is all assuming that the primary goal of the workout is increased strength/muscle. You can also use weights for a conditioning type effect where loads are reduced, volume is bumped way up, and rest is dropped way down. Think circuit training or a lot of the workouts you're seeing on DVDs that are on the market today. These aren't bad... they're just different. The effects of a workout will always be specific to the contents of a workout.

My programs that are focused on developing strength/muscle generally take anywhere from 30-60 minutes by the time I accumulate adequate volume. Keep in mind that includes a dynamic warm-up, some foam rolling, and rest between sets. My rest between sets are generally active, meaning I rarely let my clients sit there idol.

One other thought I had from your post.... you said your primary goal is fat loss and muscle gain. These are almost mutually exclusive from one another. From the mile high view, you need a calorie deficit to lose fat and a calorie surplus to gain muscle. Now, when we zoom way in to the individual level, I've seen time and time again in my gym where clients accomplish both simultaneously. However, the ability to do so generally doesn't last very long. And it generally only happens in overweight and/or individuals who are unaccustomed to the stressors of real strength training.

Once their bodies "catch on," assuming they're in a calorie deficit, muscle growth usually comes to a screeching halt. There's still a lot of incentive for them to continue strength training, mind you. Muscle maintenance, the ability to still increase strength, etc. I simply bring this up so you're able to manage your expectations with this.