Bump
  • TheMerryPup
    TheMerryPup Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jschway
    jschway Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I already work some of these in with my usual stuff, so I'm very excited to see how to use them in a more structured routine and with a nice variety of other similar moves to mix it up, too. Thank you for sharing!
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing!!
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing ...
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    You're welcome.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    This is really a great layout and perfect place to start putting a routine together. I've been adding more strength in to my routine and while I'm still new at it, I'm enjoying it already.

"One other thought I had from your post.... you said your primary goal is fat loss and muscle gain. These are almost mutually exclusive from one another. From the mile high view, you need a calorie deficit to lose fat and a calorie surplus to gain muscle."

I think that's the "problem" in a nutshell. So many people want to do both. I technically don't have any pounds I need to lose (121 @ 5'4") but certainly have wiggle and jiggle that needs to go. I'm hoping that my routine I'm coming up with (Monday spin, Tuesday lift, Wednesday yoga, Thursday lift, Friday off and then Saturday and Sunday is one lift and one off) will get me there as well as a good diet. Just hard to figure out what a good calorie intake is (my TDEE at "light" is 1750).

Thanks for always being so informative and willing to teach us all!
  • BecciJG
    BecciJG Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    This is really a great layout and perfect place to start putting a routine together. I've been adding more strength in to my routine and while I'm still new at it, I'm enjoying it already.

"One other thought I had from your post.... you said your primary goal is fat loss and muscle gain. These are almost mutually exclusive from one another. From the mile high view, you need a calorie deficit to lose fat and a calorie surplus to gain muscle."

I think that's the "problem" in a nutshell. So many people want to do both. I technically don't have any pounds I need to lose (121 @ 5'4") but certainly have wiggle and jiggle that needs to go. I'm hoping that my routine I'm coming up with (Monday spin, Tuesday lift, Wednesday yoga, Thursday lift, Friday off and then Saturday and Sunday is one lift and one off) will get me there as well as a good diet. Just hard to figure out what a good calorie intake is (my TDEE at "light" is 1750).

Thanks for always being so informative and willing to teach us all!

If I could water things down for a minute, I'd simply say.... focus on eating a diet full of nutritious, whole foods. Set your macros to assure you're getting sufficient amounts of the essentials. If you haven't read my nutrition 101 article yet, you can figure it out from there. And eat a slight deficit... maybe in the tune of 20-30%.

On top of that foundation, focus on getting stronger over time. Since it sounds as if real progressive strength training is new to you, the exercise very well might induce muscle growth as you lose some of that extra 'jiggle' you have going on. Call it recomposition or whatever.

I find that many people in your shoes get confused about whether they should focus on adding muscle or subtracting fat. In reality, often times they can accomplish both for a short while, so why not shoot for it?
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump - THANK YOU