support group for losing those last 10 lbs.

Options

Replies

• Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have about 12lbs left to lose, so I look forward to getting tips and ideas from this thread to get me there. I've recently started to up my calories. I was averaging too low and I think I just wasted a few months eating too little. So now I'm going to try eating at my BMR- 1551 for two weeks. If I see progress I'll up it to what WebMD suggests, which is 1632. So many varying equations everywhere! I get my exercise from Leslie Sansone's workout dvd's, walking outdoors when it's nice, and raising my 4 year old. I'm currently looking for a new job, my previous was a lot of sitting. I'm definitely on my feet more now. Hoping for a loss come Thursday! :smile:
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    I'd love to join a support group too! I'm so happy I can finally say I'm within 10 pounds of my goal :bigsmile:

But it definitely has gotten more challenging lately, weight coming off slower and gaining much easier on those not-so-good days, not surprising when even maintenance calories are down to about 1500... Not to mention I've been non-stop busy with applying to graduate schools this season plus spending 13 hours a day at work or commuting, it doesn't leave much time to exercise and I'm a royal mess without 8 hours of sleep.

For the time being, until applications are finished in about a month, I'm planning to just stick with what I've been doing and then work on increasing exercise, but I could definitely use some support or stress relief options!
  • hollyrlambert
    hollyrlambert Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Can I join you on here? I haven't had time to read all the replies yet but I am trying desperately to lose my last 6 lbs so I can reach my pre-pg weight of 11+half stone.

I am finding that it is stuck to me like glue. My diet needs slight improving as bad things were creeping back in but I can fix that. I exercise 3-5 times a week, have a HRM so I know pretty accurately what I burn in each session.

I never eat back 100% of my exercise cals. If I'm hungry on the days I exercise, I eat more to feel full but I never eat all my cals back. I'm just not that hungry to do it. My goal is set at 1200 but I rarely stick with that on non-exercise days. Eat about 1300-1400typically.

What do other people find works for them? Im thinking of changing my programme around as I think my body has platueaed a bit. I would love to get back to running on the treadmill but I pulled ligaments in the knees last year and this year, it was my ankles from running and therefore am nervous to try again although I found it brilliant for weight loss when I did it before.

Any tips?
  • AppleJuiceMoney
    Options
    Can I be in too?? I've only got about 10-15lbs to lose in the first place so not exactly "on those last..." but I'm still finding it sooo diffiult to make much difference!
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! I have been trying to lose my last ten pounds since June!!! I'm pretty tall, and I eat a lot (I am not sure upping my calories would work?!). I exercise frequently; lift heavy and run a lot. I take 2 rest days a week also. I want to weigh about 152, but have been 160-161 for MONTHS! I've switched up my exercise routine and switched from WW to MFP. I don't know what else to do... that last 10 pounds is driving me crazy! I didn't believe anyone when they said the last ten pounds was hard... but it IS! I've been sticking to my alloted calories every single day, except I ate over yesterday (some not-so-stellar choices) but am back on track today.

Anyway, I will try the first challenge of doing reps of something I don't like--barbell lunges! YIKES--15!! Here I come!
  • amys31
    amys31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have about 12lbs left to lose, so I look forward to getting tips and ideas from this thread to get me there. I've recently started to up my calories. I was averaging too low and I think I just wasted a few months eating too little. So now I'm going to try eating at my BMR- 1551 for two weeks. If I see progress I'll up it to what WebMD suggests, which is 1632. So many varying equations everywhere! I get my exercise from Leslie Sansone's workout dvd's, walking outdoors when it's nice, and raising my 4 year old. I'm currently looking for a new job, my previous was a lot of sitting. I'm definitely on my feet more now. Hoping for a loss come Thursday! :smile:
    Good for you, I felt the same way..Im very hopeful about increasing my calories! Good luck this week:-)
  • amys31
    Options
    I'd love to join a support group too! I'm so happy I can finally say I'm within 10 pounds of my goal :bigsmile:

But it definitely has gotten more challenging lately, weight coming off slower and gaining much easier on those not-so-good days, not surprising when even maintenance calories are down to about 1500... Not to mention I've been non-stop busy with applying to graduate schools this season plus spending 13 hours a day at work or commuting, it doesn't leave much time to exercise and I'm a royal mess without 8 hours of sleep.

For the time being, until applications are finished in about a month, I'm planning to just stick with what I've been doing and then work on increasing exercise, but I could definitely use some support or stress relief options!
    Wow you are busy..hang in there and if you can sneak in moments of deep breathing, prayer, and 20 minute "naps". Also I have some cheap awesome massage places wether it be a pedicure (ask for extra massage) or I go to the mall and get a 15 minute chair massage..it makes a world of difference. Take time for yourself whenever you can!! good luck..this is just a season of your life..a busy one..but it too shall pass ..try and enjoy what you can:-)
  • amys31
    Options
    Can I join you on here? I haven't had time to read all the replies yet but I am trying desperately to lose my last 6 lbs so I can reach my pre-pg weight of 11+half stone.

I am finding that it is stuck to me like glue. My diet needs slight improving as bad things were creeping back in but I can fix that. I exercise 3-5 times a week, have a HRM so I know pretty accurately what I burn in each session.

I never eat back 100% of my exercise cals. If I'm hungry on the days I exercise, I eat more to feel full but I never eat all my cals back. I'm just not that hungry to do it. My goal is set at 1200 but I rarely stick with that on non-exercise days. Eat about 1300-1400typically.

What do other people find works for them? Im thinking of changing my programme around as I think my body has platueaed a bit. I would love to get back to running on the treadmill but I pulled ligaments in the knees last year and this year, it was my ankles from running and therefore am nervous to try again although I found it brilliant for weight loss when I did it before.

Any tips?
    I think varying your program would be great..start slow on the treadmill and work your way up. Its always nerve wracking first getting back into exercise after injury..but if you feel fully healed take it slow. Also add in some strength training..Ive lost most of my weight doing this!
    Good luck!
  • aussiesarah
    aussiesarah Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Count me in too! I'm really pleased with the 27lbs I've lost since April, however the last 7 that will get me down to my goal weight are proving to be really, really, really stubborn.

Exercise wise I have mainly been walking (2hrs a day to and from work) and doing weight training (Body Pump) for the last few months so I think it is time to up the cardio to see if that works. I've also been zigzagging calories for the last week or so and I going to go swimming 1 or 2 times a week from this week until Christmas so I'm hoping that might make a difference. . . Fingers crossed, I'll keep you posted.

Good luck everyone and let me know if you have any tips :o)

x
  • amys31
    Options
    Me too!!! I have been trying to lose my last ten pounds since June!!! I'm pretty tall, and I eat a lot (I am not sure upping my calories would work?!). I exercise frequently; lift heavy and run a lot. I take 2 rest days a week also. I want to weigh about 152, but have been 160-161 for MONTHS! I've switched up my exercise routine and switched from WW to MFP. I don't know what else to do... that last 10 pounds is driving me crazy! I didn't believe anyone when they said the last ten pounds was hard... but it IS! I've been sticking to my alloted calories every single day, except I ate over yesterday (some not-so-stellar choices) but am back on track today.

Anyway, I will try the first challenge of doing reps of something I don't like--barbell lunges! YIKES--15!! Here I come!

Welcome! I know Im feeling the same way..something to think about..how much are you eating? Remember that you have more lean muscle now..and muscle burns more calories..so wouldn't it make sense that as our lean muscle mass increases that we might have to eat a bit more to maintain that? Ive tried to think about this and that is why I am increasing my calories 100-200. Maybe something to think about..good luck with those barbell lunges:-)
  • amys31
    Options
    Count me in too! I'm really pleased with the 27lbs I've lost since April, however the last 7 that will get me down to my goal weight are proving to be really, really, really stubborn.

Exercise wise I have mainly been walking (2hrs a day to and from work) and doing weight training (Body Pump) for the last few months so I think it is time to up the cardio to see if that works. I've also been zigzagging calories for the last week or so and I going to go swimming 1 or 2 times a week from this week until Christmas so I'm hoping that might make a difference. . . Fingers crossed, I'll keep you posted.

Good luck everyone and let me know if you have any tips :o)

x
    Let me know how the zig zaggin goes..Im also going to try this!!! Good luck this week!
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose the last 10-15 too. I've tried something a little different, but I won't be able to tell you if it's working until the end of this week. So I just ran my first half marathon last sunday, and in planning for it, I decided to do a "full diet break" - http://www.leighpeele.com/diet-break-plan
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

I ate at or above maintenance (usually above) for the past 2 weeks. I wasn't losing eating 1600 calories a day (I'm 5'8 btw) and guess what - I didn't gain eating 2600 -3000 for 2 weeks. And I feel awesome.

So today is the first day back on my deficit and I'm only doing half a pound a week (netting 1675). If all goes as planned, I should start losing again, but I'm not going to weigh myself until saturday, so I'll let u know.
  • goodthings
    Options
    I'd like to join the thread too! I have about 10 lbs to lose, but they're also my 'first' 10 lbs so I haven't experienced any weight loss whatsoever. I've been logging consistently for about a month. I set my calorie goal pretty low (1000 cals) because I'm only 5 ft and eat back my exercise calories. Some days I go way over because of nights out, so I figured it would average out this way. However, my weight is not budging! I think previously I was eating in a way that was making me slowly gain weight, so even though I'm eating less now it's still not enough for weight loss.
    Here's the plan:
    -Cut out beer - just makes me bloated and sleepy anyway
    -Start spin classes and heavy weights. Currently I run and do insanity.
    -Night snacking - I've improved this by changing to fruit, but still makes me go over calories because I'll have 3 or 4. Need to work on changing this habit altogether.

Hopefully this week will be better!
  • amys31
    Options
    I'm trying to lose the last 10-15 too. I've tried something a little different, but I won't be able to tell you if it's working until the end of this week. So I just ran my first half marathon last sunday, and in planning for it, I decided to do a "full diet break" - http://www.leighpeele.com/diet-break-plan

I ate at or above maintenance (usually above) for the past 2 weeks. I wasn't losing eating 1600 calories a day (I'm 5'8 btw) and guess what - I didn't gain eating 2600 -3000 for 2 weeks. And I feel awesome.

So today is the first day back on my deficit and I'm only doing half a pound a week (netting 1675). If all goes as planned, I should start losing again, but I'm not going to weigh myself until saturday, so I'll let u know.
    Welcome!! Awesome job on your half marathon...its tough I ran my first marathon last year and it takes so much dedication way to go!!!
    Question: so you are netting(calories in - exercise..1675?) Im trying to increase my calories b/c I realized I was netting some days 1000 or so calories even though before exercise I was eating 12-1300..I think this is my problem. Am I configuring right? So when you were eating 2600-3000 that was net calories too? thanks :-)
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've been upping cals for a week, and it seems to be working! I weigh in Mondays too, and it showed a pound loss. I've been slacking on exercise so I'm going to shoot for 4 days working out for 35 minutes.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I have been on "the last 10 pounds" for what seems like FOREVER. I have lost 28 pounds, am currently 2 pounds from my goal weight, and have plateaued for a second time. My first plateau lasted 2 months and broke after I started eating more (I changed MFP to 0.5 lb/loss per week). Last week I upped my calories again...to maintenance. Since MFP isn't precise, what they call "maintenance" could actually still be a deficit for me. This gives me 200 extra calories daily, so I am seeing if this breaks my plateau again. So far there has been no change but I want to give it another week or so.

I haven't lost more than a pound since back in August. I did start doing pilates 2x week in August and have since lost no weight but dropped a pants size (yay!). I am close to goal but feel the need to get there so I have a few "swing pounds" to work with in either direction.
  • tracimy9
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, pretty happy with what I've done so far (without going crazy or extreme, but keeping that lifestyle change mentality), so just have about 10-12 or 15 more to go, depends on the day right now.

I'd love to hear ideas and know how upping the calories works out for you. Not on purpose, but looking back at my diary I have been doing some of that lately...so maybe it'll work out for me. Just been having more fun lately, so moving back on track, much easier to be good during the week! It may be that I've toned more so the number isn't moving, but it feels good to me.
    Good luck to all of us!
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling and need a push otherwise I feel I maybe letting go. I was going so well, then hit my plateau .5 lbs above my goal. Then I added calories and my weight has shot up, perhaps I ate too many. I was just eating back my exercies calories. I am not impressed to say the least. So I'm going to try only eating half my exercise calories and seeing how that goes.
    Love the ideas of the mini challenges also hate burpees so it looks like that'll be my thing to do this week. :flowerforyou:
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Welcome!! Awesome job on your half marathon...its tough I ran my first marathon last year and it takes so much dedication way to go!!!
    Question: so you are netting(calories in - exercise..1675?) Im trying to increase my calories b/c I realized I was netting some days 1000 or so calories even though before exercise I was eating 12-1300..I think this is my problem. Am I configuring right? So when you were eating 2600-3000 that was net calories too? thanks :-)

Short answer - yes, right now I'm netting 1675 (actual calories are about 2200 - 2500 after exercise). Before when i was at maintenance I was netting 1990 (actual calories were about 2600 - 3000 after exercise + 100 or 200 some days).

Long answer - Before I found MFP I was doing WW for about 3 months - ate around 1200 -1400 actual calories a day, lost about 20 pounds and then seriously plateaued. I actually thought I was eating too much fruit and vegetables (because they're unlimited on weight watchers), but when I plugged my calories in to check, I was eating only about 1400, was not hungry, and was running about 25-30 miles a week. I started tracking with MFP and started eating around 1900 actual calories and lost 5 pounds like that! But then I hit another plateau and actually saw it go up a little (could've been just a fluctuation) but I got scared and lowered my calories again - not too far, but a little bit. I lost a little more, so I lowered a little more - and soon I was netting 1000 cals a day and had no energy in my runs (now running 30-35 miles a week) - and I plateaued AGAIN. So my race was coming up, so I decided to try out maintenance and this diet break thing. I started by raising to .5 pound a week loss for a week - I lost another pound, and then I upped to maintenance. I decided not to weigh myself the week before or after my half (my weight always goes a little wonky after long runs) and I didn't want my stupid diet head to get in the way of my performance. I think spending a good amount of time (at least 14 days) at maintenance or has done wonders for my body. My nails are stronger and long again, my skin and hair looks better, I have A LOT more energy, and I'm appropriately hungry. I don't think I could EVER eat only 1400 calories again. I'm really looking forward to seeing if now dropping my calories to .5 pound a week will work (I'm secretly hoping I lose more than .5 pound this week so I can raise my calories a bit more). From now on, I will never eat below my bmr (even on my day off from exercise - ps my bmr is more than my net calorie goal), and I will give myself a cheat day once a week, and I will do another full diet break within 12 weeks. At least that's the plan for now. I'll let you know how it all works out - hopefully I'll have good news for you: :)