Finally, after 6 months & 37 lbs, I'm ready to share!

Options
No fancy diet, no pills. Just dedication, motivation, hard work and willpower. I didn’t see results right away, but I kept working out and learning how to eat better. If my weight loss journey/lifestyle change can help even one person to stay motivated, then it was worth it to post!

The stats
Ht: 5’ 2.5”
SW: 157
Joined MFP: 136
CW: 121

The Pics

BEFORE
Fat2-1-2.jpg

AFTER
Piano-1-2.jpg

Chipmunk cheeks are GONE!
bluedressface-1-1.jpg

The Story
Prelude: After having three kids in a row, three years in a row, I reached 163 pounds in January 2011. This was not good for a short Asian who used to be a volleyball setter in high school. My attitude toward eating was flippant, and I drank 3-4 cans of Coke a day. I gave away my size 8 jeans and shorts because I figured I’d never fit into them again. I told myself that my kids would probably just know me in their younger years as “the chubby mom”, and I was ready to accept that. I was lazy and unmotivated about my weight gain, but inside I was disgusted at my huge abdomen and ham-hock arms. I tried to exercise once a week with a friend but went out for Chinese food afterward. We tried Pilates, then Zumba, and I hated how I looked in the mirrors.

The turning point: My older sister gave me the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred for my birthday in February 2011 and I put it on my bedside table to decorate it. When she invited me to a one-time Bollywood dance class in March 2011, I put on a large, black t-shirt and cringed at the tent it created over my belly. I was stunned when I saw my sister; she had lost 15 pounds since January, doing it on her own with the Shred, and she looked fantastic. Perhaps it was a little sisterly competitiveness, but I was floored by her determination to do it on her own. If she could do it, having had four kids of her own, *I* could certainly do it. Two days later I started the 30 Day Shred.

The regimen: Over the next six months I improved my eating habits, gave up Coke cold turkey, and exercised my butt off. I worked out after the kids had gone to bed. I’d go downstairs, do the Shred, and then follow with cardio for 30 minutes. My used treadmill broke and died two weeks after I started working out, so I ran circles in my basement like a hamster. The space was 20x20 so I did high knees and high-cadence “jogging” w/my iPod. I lost 22 pounds. Then I found MFP in July 2011 and lost the last 15 pounds, slower but with the right tools e.g. calorie counting and the MFP community. I had finished the Shred and moved on to Ripped in 30. Now I’m doing the 6 Week 6 Pack and am hoping to start the New Rules of Lifting for Women program.

I had given up on myself before I even started. Now that I’ve made the leap, I plan to never go back to that way of living. There are too many reasons to keep moving forward and stay positive. When I lacked the motivation to work out, I told myself that NO ONE was going to lose the weight for me. I would have to do that myself. :smile:

Replies

• healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    What a great story. Thanks for sharing.
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! You look amazing! Well done !!
  • Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Amazing story!! You are giving me inspiration to keep going!
  • 1prettysmile
    Options
    You were beautiful before and after. Thanks for sharing. Humorous and inspirational!
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    So pretty! Another fine example of strength training as well as cardio work outs - what a killer combination! Great job.
  • srandle175
    Options
    Great job and story. Keep up the good work!!!
  • minabella
    minabella Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You look great!! WTG!!!
  • kel82885
    kel82885 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thats a great story and you look excellent.
    Congrats
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story and your photos! Very motivational!! Congrats, you look nd SOUND fantastic and very happy! Woo hoo!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You look absolutely amazing and you are so beautiful!
  • jseelim
    jseelim Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You look great!! I'm inspired!! Thanks for sharing your story!!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! You look amazing, well done on not only your weightloss, but your complete transformation of your attitude to life. You decided you wanted to do something for yourself and you've not only done but exceeded your own expectations which I think is fantastic.

I have one question....what is this shred 30 I keep reading about? We've never heard of it over here.

Keep up the good work x
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Wow, our stats are almost identical, I started at 160, I am now at 139.8, my goal weight is also 120. Thank you for posting, It took me 3 years to lose 20 pounds, you have motivated me and shown that indeed this can be done, I cannot "weight" to get into the 20's.

Thanks a bunch for posting!
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Congrats on your new healthy lifestyle :) you are very inspiring, so glad to have you as a mfp friend!!
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Love love your determination! Running in circles in your basement shows your focus and determination! You look fantastic and should be really proud!

cheers!
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    What a great story! Congratulations on your loss and thank you for the inspiration. You look fantastic!
  • runamym
    runamym Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    wow! You look great! I think we can all relate to your "before" attitude. That's how we got overweight - thinking "this is how I am now," but we learn that we don't have to accept that! We can change our bodies and our minds! Congrats!!
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! You look amazing, well done on not only your weightloss, but your complete transformation of your attitude to life. You decided you wanted to do something for yourself and you've not only done but exceeded your own expectations which I think is fantastic.

I have one question....what is this shred 30 I keep reading about? We've never heard of it over here.

Keep up the good work x

http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-30-Day-Shred/dp/B00127RAJY

The 30 Day Shred is a 20-25 minute high intensity interval training DVD by Jillian Michaels. I owe half my body to her. The other half was my own responsibility to transform. :wink:
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    So great friend!!! You're gonna love getting even stronger with NEW RULES!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!