Ok let's be honest here..................

Options

Replies

• stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I started this weight loss "journey" in January this year purely for health reasons. As I've now lost all the weight I need to and am in the middle of my Healthy Weight Range, I'm finding vanity is my new motivation. I love the comments from friends about my new "guns" and how they too would love to look like me. This inspires me to improve my appearance more - I want to look super fit, cut, lean and strong so guess vanity it is for me

Kathy :tongue:
  • stubsy1968
    Options
    vanity. i wanted to look better, but i'm finding i feel better, and my confidance is through the roof. something about walking into a room and just think to yourself "yeah, i can do more push ups then 90% of the guys here" is kinda ego stroking.

Is it weird that I think the same way???

Shawn - no way is this weird. I feel the same way too when I'm at the gym. I once had a boxing circuit class where I was racing a guy up and down the class and beat him 3 times. I loved it (not sure if he did though). :laugh:
  • stubsy1968
    Options
    Started off for health. Now....borderline eating disorder.

WTF? Should we all be offering you some help here? :flowerforyou:

Kathy
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Honestly for health reasons.

But considering my wife left me a month ago, I can't help but say vanity as well, because I will be skinny and hot and my next wife will be too.. hahahahah :)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Started as vanity,is still vanity
  • norma67
    norma67 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Vanity, let us be honest we all want to look good. I know for me I am an emotional eater.
  • ScotsLenny
    ScotsLenny Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I got told there was a certain amout of perving went on so,,,, you asked for honest,,,, now it is more fitness
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Well, since I am not technically overweight anymore and I am not unhealthy, my reasons are vanity. I have very specific goals for myself, and they are all centered around how I want to look. Now if I had high cholesterol or blood pressure or was obese, that would be different. When I was obese with those issues, I was losing weight for both vanity and health.
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I was here to loose weight for purely vanity reasons was pushing for as much weight lost before my wedding...

Now though I want to lift bigger, run faster and ride farther.

Is it nice my husband always says super nice things about the way I look and how healthy I am? Oh you bet but I'm doing this for me and I won't stop until I am satisfied with my health.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Started with health. My ego was (or thought it was) perfectly happy before I lost weight.

Sometimes it's been a vanity thing, like wanting to fit into something that didn't fit before. But mostly I've been driven my health and fitness, or personal challenges. Being able to run a 5k, the Warrior Dash, a 10k. Now I want to do all those things faster and faster. Which I suppose is a vanity thing. Caring about my health meant being able to do them. Vanity is being able to do them better than other people. :tongue:
  • Amelda66
    Options
    I am here for health reasons. I need the support. Hearing what others are doing to improve the quality of their lives and the struggle and progress they are making gives me motivation to improve my health, thus life as well.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It's a bit mixed for me.

When I saw myself in pictures I realized how big (and bloated) I had let myself become (That's the vanity part). This led me to the additional realization that if I didn't get myself in gear I would end up following in my parents' footsteps.

By the time my father passed away at 66 he was nearly blind and on dialysis 3x a week because of his Type II diabetes. Thankfully, my mother doesn't have diabetes, but she does have heart disease (she has multiple stents), high blood pressure, and she has had double knee replacement but still can't walk without pain.

Now that I've slimmed down a bit, vanity is helping take me to the next level. I'm five pounds away from a "healthy" BMI, and I look pretty good now, but I plan to keep going until I look hot :)
  • ekim724
    ekim724 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    HEALTH reasons and then later down the road hopefully VANITY?
  • MikeDailyIntake
    Options
    mainly doing it for Strength, but looking cut is always nice.
  • PurpleCoookie
    Options
    It was mostly vanity, but now its 50/50.
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Entirely health. I'm happily married for 20+ years to a wonderful guy (normal weight) who loves me thick or thin...... I can only hope alot of the younger ones here get get so blessed and also understand as things do not always go along in life as planned :).

To the vanity people: i can relate a bit. Well for some reason i now want a tattoo. seems like all the cool gym people have one/ :heart: and i'm quite sure the quality of the trainers is dependant on how good their tatoos are. :wink: It's just that dh doesn't quite get that reasoning yet.....
  • whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    vanity .......mostly...though in my case it would be wiser to want good health
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Both vanity and health, but mostly to restore the self-confidence I feel was kind of stolen from me by my ex (who had his own issues from before and after he did two tours in Afghanistan.)
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    50/50.. I was never overweight but wanted to look better so it started as vanity

but now I love tracking my fitness progress and making sure I dont end up with a lot of the same health problems that there are in my family history related to poor eating choices and a sedentary lifestyle
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Health mostly. I don't have health insurance and can't afford to be ill. With fitness comes health...so here I am. Now that I'm kinda where I want to be, I'm letting the vanity side of it take over.