Protein = fat

Options
1235»

Replies

• Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Protein is key if u want to make or preserve muscle mass. I eat 1g protein per lb from meats, whey, fish, egg whites mostly.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Good for you, you made a incredibly narrow observation which doesn't make the whole statement true. Since I said the meat food group. I did not say meat, I did not say all meat, you should read more closely to what people type. What you should of done, and I'll help you here, is prove that the dairy group has more fat then the meat group, which it does not.

1) you must be pretty dim if you don't realize that I'm being facetious

2) it's "should have" and when making comparisons, you should use "than" rather than "then"

3) the entire concept of "food groups" is outdated USDA bullsh!t that MFP particularly finds little use for, in favor of paying attention to macronutrient categories like fat, protein, and carbohydrates instead

4) a *narrow* observation is one way to put it. I would describe it as a *specific* observation, which is infinitely more valuable than a blanket statement which can be incorrect in many, many cases, and is of no use to anyone
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Protein is key if u want to make or preserve muscle mass. I eat 1g protein per lb from meats, whey, fish, egg whites mostly.

Nevermind :D misread it ^-^
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Look, it's science. It's in any book.

Wait...I've got 3 books on my desk, and it isn't in any of them. Can we trust the OP?!?!? Can we trust SCIENCE?!?!?!? What is this world coming to!?!?!?!

*facepalm*
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

you sound like you have athing Against Fats. Hmm. I guess no one told you about the ESSENTIAL FATS omega 3, 6, 9 s and how your brain is made up of mostly fat, as well as your spine, cell membranes, etc.

Hate to nitpick (oh hell, I LOVE to nitpick)...but the "spine" actually refers to the bony structures and the intevertebral discs alone. The spinal cord IS largely made up of fat, in the form of myelin. I'd hesitate to say that it's *mostly* fat, though.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've only been on MFP for a little while and I have been running into threads like "this." ._. What in the world?
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options
    Ok, so Protein does NOT equal fat. However, my point is, if you are eating alot more protein to offset some other thing like carbs just be aware that the Meat food Group has more fat then the dairy and carb food groups. So it's important to pay attention to your fat intake. As always talk to a doctor to find out what your body is missing to know the best diet for yourself.

A side note: eating alot of fiber can help reduce the amount of fat your body absorbs.

Your post has alot of misinformation in it. Could you please rephrase?

It is sort of an oxymoron
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options

Good for you, you made a incredibly narrow observation which doesn't make the whole statement true. Since I said the meat food group. I did not say meat, I did not say all meat, you should read more closely to what people type. What you should of done, and I'll help you here, is prove that the dairy group has more fat then the meat group, which it does not.

1) you must be pretty dim if you don't realize that I'm being facetious

2) it's "should have" and when making comparisons, you should use "than" rather than "then"

3) the entire concept of "food groups" is outdated USDA bullsh!t that MFP particularly finds little use for, in favor of paying attention to macronutrient categories like fat, protein, and carbohydrates instead

4) a *narrow* observation is one way to put it. I would describe it as a *specific* observation, which is infinitely more valuable than a blanket statement which can be incorrect in many, many cases, and is of no use to anyone

I definitely thought the dairy group had more fat
  • tracy337
    tracy337 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Ok, so Protein does NOT equal fat. However, my point is, if you are eating alot more protein to offset some other thing like carbs just be aware that the Meat food Group has more fat then the dairy and carb food groups. So it's important to pay attention to your fat intake. As always talk to a doctor to find out what your body is missing to know the best diet for yourself.

A side note: eating alot of fiber can help reduce the amount of fat your body absorbs.
    Drinking too much water = death
    See what I did there? Just as silly
    I don't agree with the OP but yes, there have been deaths related to drinking TOO much water. BUT this kid drank 5 Gallons! So it can happen, but only if your trying to do something silly lol
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/04/national/main671781.shtml
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    What ninner said... Also, just an fyi. Spinach has more protein than red meat and zero grams of fat.

And zero nice flavour too :)
    Not how I cook it -- sauteed in LOTS of butter. Mmmm.... Served with a steak, of course.
  • txmike64
    txmike64 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Fat has a function in diet....so you need some amount of it.

Carbs have a function in diet...they provide the energies, the more complex the better. Fiber is part of this group.

Protein has a function in building muscle and other assorted life functions.

The best diet....a balance of all three....yes, keeping fats to a minimum are good, but SOME fats are good for you....Omega-3 for instance. Some of the other fats as well.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options

Drinking too much water = death
    See what I did there? Just as silly
    I don't agree with the OP but yes, there have been deaths related to drinking TOO much water. BUT this kid drank 5 Gallons! So it can happen, but only if your trying to do something silly lol
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/04/national/main671781.shtml
    I know this. My point was, that excessive anything in ridiculous amounts is bad, and blanket statements like this are silly