hydroxycut

Options
124»

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Just to weigh in on my personal opinion of Hydroxycut, it really is a waste of your money. I know how it is though. Several times at the grocery store, I have caught myself pondering purchasing the stuff. But all that is in it is some caffeine and an herbal blend. This is pretty much the same as any other fat burner or energy drink.
  • mawhite717
    mawhite717 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    im glad you guys have talked me outta buying this. i dont want my heart to explode or my liver to get all jacked up.

seriously, thank you guys!!!!
  • TXBlonde81
    TXBlonde81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I bought a bottle from GNC a few years ago and I ended up just throwing it away. I didn't think it worked because I was still hungry and doing what I normally did with this added. I didn't see any difference so I threw it out. I remember trying some other fad a while back. It came in a carmel chew like thing. It was tasty but didn't do anything either.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    im glad you guys have talked me outta buying this. i dont want my heart to explode or my liver to get all jacked up.

;)

Glad to hear it!

Since virtually no one recommended it, I was going to be sad if you got it anyhow ;)
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Same here. Scary as hell. Then when using the eliptical, my heart rate would be high and then really low. It made no since, but scared me.
    when I took it, I thought my heart was going to EXPLODE right out of my chest. Seriously. I couldn't breath. My heart raced. I literally thought I was going to die. I did not continue to use it, as it was not my idea of fun or health.
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options

Great!! I used this product back when it had ephedra, it was actually not to lose weight but to give me energy and more running power for I was in the Marine Corps. I actually lost about 20 pounds but I don't know if it were the pills or because I had so much energy that I would work our 2-3 times a day for about an hour each time. Also, a few months after they stopped selling it on base because some Marines were taking more than the recommended amount and end up at the hospital.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I used it about 20 years ago when I used to work out a lot. Back then I didn't care about the potential health risks. Like a couple of others have said, I used it to give me more energy when I was in the gym. It was awesome for that. I bought some a few months ago and took it for a few days and it didn't do anything so it's still sitting on a shelf in my bathroom. I called my sister and told her that hydroxycut was a lot better back when it was just speed. She agreed. It may or may not be safer now but it doesn't seem to work like it used to.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    I take Hydroxycut right now. I take the Hardcore Pro Series. I got it at GNC and I will say this... I do not take it as an appetite suppressant. I use it for an energy boost before my workout or before running. I have found that it does nothing to suppress my appetite anyway.
    I also only take 1 capsule per day, a 1/2 hour before my workout/run. The directions say to take 4 capsules per day. I get a significant energy boost from one pill so that's what I take.
    I have had no ill effects from it.

Hope that helps.

Edited to add: After reading some of the replies on here, I may STOP taking it.

If you do stop taking it, you can always switch to a cup of coffee before a workout!! :)

believe it or not, i do drink a cup of coffee before my workout... dont know if its safe or not, but it gives me energy

Oh god I'm gonna love this :happy: .... How long do you wait between your coffee and starting to exercise? coffee doesn't kick in until 2-3h with its maximum effect at 4h!!!!!!!!!!!

gotta love PLACEBO effect :love: :bigsmile:
    eating something light with carbs / healthy sugars before exercise is great, and enough if you ask me :bigsmile:
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    I have not taken Hydroxycut, but my husband did a few years ago. It made no noticeable difference in his weight loss. Mostly it was just a waste of money.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    If you read the fine print on the bottle it says it works in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise. So basically the diet and exercise cause the weight loss and they get your money.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

Oh god I'm gonna love this :happy: .... How long do you wait between your coffee and starting to exercise? coffee doesn't kick in until 2-3h with its maximum effect at 4h!!!!!!!!!!!

Not true at all. The effects of caffeine begin within an hour and can last for up to 5 hours after ingestion.

Appetite. 2011 May 13. [Epub ahead of print]
    Caffeine ingestion, affect and perceived exertion during prolonged cycling.
    Backhouse SH, Biddle SJ, Bishop NC, Williams C.
    Source

Carnegie Research Institute, Leeds Metropolitan University, School of Sport, Exercise and PE, Fairfax Hall Headingley Campus, Leeds LS6 3QS, United Kingdom.
    Abstract

Caffeine's metabolic and performance effects have been widely reported. However, caffeine's effects on affective states during prolonged exercise are unknown. Therefore, this was examined in the present study. Following an overnight fast and in a randomised, double-blind, counterbalanced design, twelve endurance trained male cyclists performed 90min of exercise at 70% VO(2 max) 1h after ingesting 6mgkg(-1)BM of caffeine (CAF) or placebo (PLA). Dimensions of affect and perceived exertion were assessed at regular intervals. During exercise, pleasure ratings were better maintained (F((3,38))=4.99, P<0.05) in the CAF trial compared to the PLA trial with significantly higher ratings at 15, 30 and 75min (all P<0.05). Perceived exertion increased (F((3,28))=19.86, P<0.01) throughout exercise and values, overall, were significantly lower (F((3,28))=19.86, P<0.01) in the CAF trial compared to the PLA trial. Perceived arousal was elevated during exercise but did not differ between trials. Overall, the results suggest that a moderate dose of CAF ingested 1h prior to exercise maintains a more positive subjective experience during prolonged cycling. This observation may partially explain caffeine's ergogenic effects.

Countless other studies will verify this. Dosing within an hour of exercising is a common protocol for caffeine studies.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    Still that study gives to the test subjects a huge dose: 4 times an expresso! and altho they got p<0.05, they are not explaining their rating system. is abs of that pill comparable to coffee?
  • mawhite717
    mawhite717 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I take Hydroxycut right now. I take the Hardcore Pro Series. I got it at GNC and I will say this... I do not take it as an appetite suppressant. I use it for an energy boost before my workout or before running. I have found that it does nothing to suppress my appetite anyway.
    I also only take 1 capsule per day, a 1/2 hour before my workout/run. The directions say to take 4 capsules per day. I get a significant energy boost from one pill so that's what I take.
    I have had no ill effects from it.

Hope that helps.

Edited to add: After reading some of the replies on here, I may STOP taking it.

If you do stop taking it, you can always switch to a cup of coffee before a workout!! :)

believe it or not, i do drink a cup of coffee before my workout... dont know if its safe or not, but it gives me energy

gotta love PLACEBO effect :love: :bigsmile:
    eating something light with carbs / healthy sugars before exercise is great, and enough if you ask me :bigsmile:

so that would mean that coffee, when its at its most effective, makes me sleepy?? where did you get your information??? fail
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    yes i too am amazed it's still out there....

seriously, do not waste your money on something that *may* help you to lose water and/or muscle weight, only to gain it back when you stop taking it. plus, i doubt you will like the way you feel if you take it.
  • May63
    May63 Posts: 162
    Options
    i see it alot what is "bump"?

It moves the thread to the top of the list again....but a lot of people "bump" so they can go back into their topics later and reference it if they need to.

Thanks
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If it worked everyone would be skinny.