Is this where it starts? With Disney Princesses?

Options

Replies

• asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and look how ANOREXIC Jasmine and Ariel are! Wow...
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Kind of scary...they all have basically unattainable figures. They actually look unhealthy when you look at their waistlines.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Meh, I don't get worked up over this. They're cartoons. Cartoons don't look like real people anyway. I LOVE these movies (Little Mermaid was my favorite when I was 4!!! LOL). I dunno, I guess I think people read too far into stuff like this. I never equated Disney princesses to real life when I was little.
  • TheShelterCat
    Options
    I saw this on Facebook already. Stupid in my opinion and grasping at straws.
  • andreacord
    Options
    I saw this on facebook already, never really thought about it until i looked at it .
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Aren't fairy tales like this supposed to let little girls dream that some day their prince will come?? I never looked to cartoons growing up. but that is just me
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Normally, I'd agree with you, but with the constant pressure in this country on younger and younger girls to be thin, it can be a bit concerning. My daughter is 12 and is already talking about counting calories even though she is slim already. Little girls grow up playing with Barbies with their insane figures, then they see Disney princesses all looking so skinny. I will say, though, that the girls that dress as these characters at the Disney parks are slim, but not unhealthy slim, so at least the real women they use have reasonable figures.
  • KaironAndTaviansMommy
    Options
    I dont like to look that far into Disney movies, they all have somethings in them that arent for kids but they will never know it until they are older anyways. I dont wanna take away the fun times i had as a child with these movies from my kids.... and in all reality... They are cartoons... Just cartoons, not real people. I dont see the people at the Disney land and world having the same figure as the cartoons.
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think its a interesting picture makes some good points on how beauty is percieved by the creators but still loved the cartoons when i was little and never really thought about what they looked like or their weight ,, my favourite princess was bell and the thing i loved most about her as a child was her beautiful brown eyes like mine and how sweet she was
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Jasmine looks like Kim K
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm counting on the Cinderella approach.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting one - easy to say it has no effect. But am not so sure - this doco is an excellent comment on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gkIiV6konY

For me it's less about the Disney thing and more about the real life women we look up to. I bet none of these ones make it onto most people's lists http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,2029774,00.html
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Yes. This is where it starts.

Down with Disney and stuff.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Normally, I'd agree with you, but with the constant pressure in this country on younger and younger girls to be thin, it can be a bit concerning. My daughter is 12 and is already talking about counting calories even though she is slim already. Little girls grow up playing with Barbies with their insane figures, then they see Disney princesses all looking so skinny. I will say, though, that the girls that dress as these characters at the Disney parks are slim, but not unhealthy slim, so at least the real women they use have reasonable figures.

That's when you as a parent step in and guide your kids, explaining that Disney is not real, healthy doesn't mean stick thin, etc.
  • haldeman5
    haldeman5 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The are just cartoon characters...I know my daughter doesn't read into the stories like that...she just enjoys the movie:-) I don't see people worrying that boys are going to grow up and think they will be super heroes and have special powers. There a lot worse programs our kids could watch!
  • rabbit99_47203
    Options
    bump
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    What about all the social pressures of the men? :p

6b1ln.jpg
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Actually disagree about reading too much into this. Little girls IDOLIZE these characters. They see these princesses getting everything they could want and want to be like them. I think to assume that it is stupid and grasping at straws makes you ignorant. It doesn't help when all we tell little girls is how PRETTY they are. It is all media's fault? Heck no! It's just the fact is that these issues start somewhere.

http://www.familystudies.uconn.edu/undergraduate/honors/posters/Dawn England poster.pdf

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/how-fantasy-becomes-reality/200912/first-black-disney-princess-debuts-70-years-after-snow-white
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    thor1god1of1awesome Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think this is reading to much into cartoons I mean what's next Pokemon and transformer effect on kids