Is this where it starts? With Disney Princesses?

Options

Replies

• asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    What about all the social pressures of the men? :p

6b1ln.jpg

I agree! on both ends!
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Normally, I'd agree with you, but with the constant pressure in this country on younger and younger girls to be thin, it can be a bit concerning. My daughter is 12 and is already talking about counting calories even though she is slim already. Little girls grow up playing with Barbies with their insane figures, then they see Disney princesses all looking so skinny. I will say, though, that the girls that dress as these characters at the Disney parks are slim, but not unhealthy slim, so at least the real women they use have reasonable figures.

That's when you as a parent step in and guide your kids, explaining that Disney is not real, healthy doesn't mean stick thin, etc.

Sometimes though once children reach those ages like 12 and above everything you say to them is wrong and everything they see and hear on tv and from their peers is right , your right though parents still need to take responsiblity for what their children are seeing etc just isnt always that easy i guess
  • AlexandraR2011
    AlexandraR2011 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Have you seen how thin Bambi's legs are?
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    that is the most stupid response I've ever seen
    They're drawn thin
    like... that makes them ANOREXIC?
    UH no.
    I hate when people call skinny people "anorexic"
    shut up
    ITS A FREAKING PLAY ON DISNEY CHARACTERS IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL
    I grew up in the generation when most of these movies were new
    I never ONCE thought "Oh i want to be skinny like jasmine"
    just no, get a sense of humor.
  • Being2befit
    Being2befit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i love all of them!! they are just cartoons!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    They need a MFP princess. She loses her sense of humor because she doesn't eat back her exercise calories.
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Totally spot on and hilarious but what can you do? We live in a barbie doll culture. These are "strong" and "assertive" characters after all. The MOST IMPORTANT things, more important that what crap your kids might watch or view, is that you DISCUSS it with them even when they are three and tell them what you think and value in people. And hopefully they see LOTS of crappy role models, lots of good ones, and lots of real human flawed ones and not just Disney princesses...hehe ;)

This! I have boys so I don't have to deal with the Disney princesses but, instead, superheroes like Spiderman and Power Rangers. But, its the parent's job to talk to and educate our kids so they can tell reality from fantasy/cartoons. I'm pretty sure my 4-year old, even though he loves Spiderman, knows that he'll never be able to shoot webs from his wrists and scale tall buildings.
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Actually disagree about reading too much into this. Little girls IDOLIZE these characters. They see these princesses getting everything they could want and want to be like them. I think to assume that it is stupid and grasping at straws makes you ignorant. It doesn't help when all we tell little girls is how PRETTY they are. It is all media's fault? Heck no! It's just the fact is that these issues start somewhere.

http://www.familystudies.uconn.edu/undergraduate/honors/posters/Dawn England poster.pdf

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/how-fantasy-becomes-reality/200912/first-black-disney-princess-debuts-70-years-after-snow-white

I tell my baby girl everyday how pretty she is and my boys how handsome they are i dont think it will teach them to only value beauty , I think my babies are gorgeous and theres nothing wrong with telling them that just as theres nothing wrong with praising my sons athletic skills or how well their doing at maths etc
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think this is just silly. Growing up I LOVED Disney, and I never once looked at them and thought, "I really wish I was that skinny!" All I thought was "OMG I LOVE BELLE!!" lol.
  • TheShelterCat
    Options

:laugh:
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    They need a MFP princess. She loses her sense of humor because she doesn't eat back her exercise calories.

HAHA best response ever.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Actually disagree about reading too much into this. Little girls IDOLIZE these characters. They see these princesses getting everything they could want and want to be like them. I think to assume that it is stupid and grasping at straws makes you ignorant. It doesn't help when all we tell little girls is how PRETTY they are. It is all media's fault? Heck no! It's just the fact is that these issues start somewhere.

http://www.familystudies.uconn.edu/undergraduate/honors/posters/Dawn England poster.pdf

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/how-fantasy-becomes-reality/200912/first-black-disney-princess-debuts-70-years-after-snow-white

I grew up with these characters. But then again, I also grew up with parents that were able to teach me to separate reality from fantasy.

Of course in today's society, too much responsibility is put on media etc to raise kids instead of on the parents where it should be.

Calling people who disagree with you ignorant was a nice touch, though. Way to be respectful.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    They're drawn thin
    UH no.
    shut up

It's ok sweety, nobody was calling you skinny
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I think this is just silly. Growing up I LOVED Disney, and I never once looked at them and thought, "I really wish I was that skinny!" All I thought was "OMG I LOVE BELLE!!" lol.

same here!.... i never thought i wanted to be skinny because of the princesses.... it all started elsewhere
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    You're just jealous!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

I have been self conscious about my thighs ever since I saw Bambi.
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    They're drawn thin
    UH no.
    shut up

It's ok sweety, nobody was calling you skinny
    haahhaa did I say it was about me? no
    All my friends are really thin and my other friends who don't know them ask me "why are all your friends anorexic?"
    That's not a synonym for skinny.
    you cannot ASSUME a skinny person is anorexic
    and it's just pathetic to call a CARTOON anorexic
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

Oh, my goodness ....I laughed out loud on this one. :laugh: