Is this where it starts? With Disney Princesses?

Options

Replies

• madisonsteelex
    Options
    Have you seen how thin Bambi's legs are?

I have been self conscious about my thighs ever since I saw Bambi.

hahahahha:laugh:
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I think media should have had MORE of an effect on me then. Maybe if I 'idolized' how these princesses looked instead of just enjoying the movies, I'd be thinner!!!!! :huh:
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Yes, it started with the princesses and now my oldest daughter is the "Empress Of THE UNIVERSE"! MUHAHAH and there is nothing any of the little people can do about it. Just grovel and smile....(She's 38 now and we call her "your hiney-ness).
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Disney gave me unrealistic expectations about hair...
  • poisongirl6485
    Options

This is true. And I did try to make my mouth 'smile' like Ariel did.

I am forever scarred!!!!
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yeah and all the animals talk! Do your kids believe this too? :happy: I'm going to date myself, but growing up I loved Lady and the Tramp....didn't turn out to be either. :wink:
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    My daughter actually is shaped just like that. Should all cartoon characters be slightly rotund with 9 to 5 jobs and *****y bosses? Should they never find love, marry and divorce times with kids from each marriage? Should they lose their house when they lose their job? Spend hours thinking about going to the gym, but buy some ice cream instead? If we make it all real life, what kid in their right mind would want to watch? Should we tell them that dreaming of a prince and living happily ever after is an impossibility so watch some Cops instead?
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    Yeah and all the animals talk! Do your kids believe this too? :happy: I'm going to date myself, but growing up I loved Lady and the Tramp....didn't turn out to be either. :wink:
    thank god for people with a sense of humor
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna sue Disney for giving me poor self-worth & unrealistic expectations just as soon as I wrap up the suit with McDonald's for making me fat.
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    If we're considering Disney movies unrealistic and negatively influencing girls, I think all musicals should be labeled the same way. LMAO
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    End of story, disney teaches GOOD things to kids. They NEVER say anything about trying to be thin, not eating, blah blah blah
    people read too much into this
    you're never going to let your kids watch disney movies?
    ok deprive them. your choice
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Why are we blaming Disney for anything? That picture is making reference to the actual stories of the women, none of which Disney wrote. Someone should be forming the lynch mob for The Grimm brothers, Hand Christian Anderson and the like. Down with children's stories and classic literature! *gets pitchforks and torches*

Oh, and the prince's names are:
    Little Mermaid = Eric
    Cinderella = Charming
    Sleeping Beauty = Phillip
    Beauty and the Beast = Adam
    Snow White = always just The Prince or sometimes referenced outside the movie as Charming as well
    Princess and the Frog = Naveen
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    that is the most stupid response I've ever seen
    They're drawn thin
    like... that makes them ANOREXIC?
    UH no.
    I hate when people call skinny people "anorexic"
    shut up

It's ok sweety, nobody was calling you skinny
    haahhaa did I say it was about me? no
    All my friends are really thin and my other friends who don't know them ask me "why are all your friends anorexic?"
    That's not a synonym for skinny.
    you cannot ASSUME a skinny person is anorexic
    and it's just pathetic to call a CARTOON anorexic

I'm with you on this one. Anorexic is not a synonym for skinny, it is a disease. Not all thin people are anorexic.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

This is true. And I did try to make my mouth 'smile' like Ariel did.

I am forever scarred!!!!

My sister once tried to run like Simba and nearly broke her nose.
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    Why are we blaming Disney for anything? That picture is making reference to the actual stories of the women, none of which Disney wrote. Someone should be forming the lynch mob for The Grimm brothers, Hand Christian Anderson and the like. Down with children's stories and classic literature! *gets pitchforks and torches*

Little Mermaid = Eric
    Cinderella = Charming
    Snow White = always just The Prince or sometimes referenced outside the movie as Charming as well

:flowerforyou:
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options

Little Mermaid = Eric
    Cinderella = Charming

Nice one, on both points! I just saw B&B a few months back and still had no idea his name was Adam!
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    thor1god1of1awesome Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Little Mermaid = Eric
    Cinderella = Charming
    Look we have to blame something cause it's never our fault or the parents
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If I ever have a girl we'll start with Ghibli over Disney for strong female role models.

My DS spent today obsessed with tuppence after watching Mary Poppins. I tried to explain the choices Mr Banks illustrated, but I think his future in banking has been ruined :laugh:

Now there's a Disney woman for you: Practically Perfect in Every Way, apart from modesty :laugh:
  • Mrrwmoo
    Mrrwmoo Posts: 44
    Options
    I took the facebook quiz for what Disney Princess I was and I got Mulan ;D. Go figure, Asian ToT . . .

Mulan is considered a Disney Princess even though she's technically not a princess, same with Esmeralda and Belle. She was my role model of sorts when I was little, she taught me that hard work and dedication would eventually pay off x3...

And Ghibli films are my favorite! I always bring them out and watch them on a rainy day with a cup of hot tea <3!
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Lol sounds like a lot of people are pretty defensive about this. But sorry to say, I know a LOT of mothers who only tell their daughters how precious and pretty they are. its princess princess princess. They do not compliment their daughter's many other great characteristics. Sounds like some of you are one of those. It is all about balance, isnt it?