November Turkey Trot 10 lb Challenge

Options
It's that time of year, folks, that we start thinking about and planning for Turkey Day. This year, instead of gaining those extra pounds from the holidays, let's keep active and not let that turkey (and all the other good stuff) get the best of us!! Here's how it works:

1. Enter your name and starting weight into the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApGWjN0Yz2hfdFFFY3dnS2hfcGZvLXhpQWFpaG5EUkE&hl=en_US#gid=1

If you participated in my October challenge, your name is probably already on there.

2. Complete 100 miles of activity during the month of November (that's only 20 miles/week) using the conversion chart from America on the Move:
https://aom3.americaonthemove.org/~/media/Tools/Activity_Conversion_Adult.ashx

For those of you not good with math, 1 mile = approximately 2,000 steps. Find your activity on the chart and get the steps per minute for your gender. Multiply that by the number of minutes you did your activity. Divide by 2,000 to get your activity in miles.

For example: I'm a female, and let's say I lifted weights for 30 minutes:
Steps per minute = 107
107*30 = 3,210
3,210/2,000 = 1.6 miles

3. Every Friday morning of November go back to the spreadsheet in step 1 and record your updated (hopefully lower) weight and how many miles of activity you did for that week.

4. Check back here for weekly nutritional mini-challenges. Those of you coming back from October - you better believe that water's gonna be a part of this!!!

5. PLEASE don't mess with any of the sorting or the formulas on the spreadsheet - I'll take care of that - simply enter your data every Friday.

Let me know if you have any questions or need help with the spreadsheet/activity converter. Welcome to my 10 lb Turkey Trot Challenge!! :drinker:

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    If you can't find your particular activity - just find the closest thing to it.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • tishaloses
    tishaloses Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump!!!
  • tishaloses
    tishaloses Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump!!!
  • drsteph01
    Options
    Hi

I have been on here for a few months but haven't really participated in a challenge. I would like to join you this month. I see you are ding a 10k this month. That's great. I did my first one in September and am planning to do a half marathon in April. Will check out your spreadsheet and start logging.

Thanks for he added motivation!
    Stephanie
  • Athena413
    Options
    Hi

I have been on here for a few months but haven't really participated in a challenge. I would like to join you this month. I see you are ding a 10k this month. That's great. I did my first one in September and am planning to do a half marathon in April. Will check out your spreadsheet and start logging.

Thanks for he added motivation!
    Stephanie

Welcome! I AM doing a 10K this month, and I plan to do my first half in March. Good luck to you!!
  • CessGill
    CessGill Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is my first time in a challenge :) Thanks for the motivation...
  • holdthefries
    holdthefries Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Thanks for doing this again. I am glad for a fresh start in November!
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I'm in..but will put my start weight over the weekend. :drinker:
  • kjloiselle
    kjloiselle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i've been on here since the end of august, but really need more motivation so hopeffully by participating in something that will really help.
    I'm in.
  • kjloiselle
    kjloiselle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i've been on here since the end of august, but really need more motivation so hopeffully by participating in something that will really help.
    I'm in.
  • NCSean
    NCSean Posts: 14
    Options
    bump
  • luvmybeebees
    luvmybeebees Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'm in (again!). Thanks so much for doing this!
  • ADTeachTX
    ADTeachTX Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I like participating in the weightloss tracking but I don't know how well I will do with the challenge part. I will be traveling in November...on a cruise so I not sure if I should participate this month. I would like to stay accountable to the weightloss but I might really suck at the exercise challenges...but what is new?
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had a rough month in October with very little results on the scale, so I'm in for another round. Time to get back on track!
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Joining this one too!
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    BUMP! :)
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I'm in again! The chart is a little complicated for me so I'll just log my walk & elliptical miles. Thanks again for setting this up!
  • Athena413
    Options
    I like participating in the weightloss tracking but I don't know how well I will do with the challenge part. I will be traveling in November...on a cruise so I not sure if I should participate this month. I would like to stay accountable to the weightloss but I might really suck at the exercise challenges...but what is new?

No problem - we'd love to have you around either way!!
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    entered and ready!!

Pam