November Turkey Trot 10 lb Challenge

Options

Replies

• ADTeachTX
    ADTeachTX Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It's a big month for me...I turn 30 on the 20th!! I'm totally in...let's see what I can get done before my birthday. I already know there's going to be a couple days that are going to give me a challenge, but they won't get the best of me. =)

My birthday is the 20th too! I am going to be celebrating my 3rd anniversary of my 29th birthday. Happy early birthday!
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I spinned 32 miles this week and went to yoga class. Should I use the converter to all of my exercise or count in actual spinning miles and only use the converter for yoga ? I guess it just seems like I am "overachieving" if I don't use the converter for all exercise except walking/elliptical (when I know the mileage) since this challenge is based on the number of steps. Swimming may only give me 1 to 1.5mph where as walking gives me 3-4mph and cycling typically gives me 15-20 mph. I feel like I am cheating the system, as one great spin class, and I'd have my 20 miles in for the week if I used straight miles.
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad at keeping track at the steps/miles I cover, unless I'm on a treadmill. But I'll keep on truckin, logging my weight and working towards weight loss and muscle tone. =)
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's a big month for me...I turn 30 on the 20th!! I'm totally in...let's see what I can get done before my birthday. I already know there's going to be a couple days that are going to give me a challenge, but they won't get the best of me. =)

My birthday is the 20th too! I am going to be celebrating my 3rd anniversary of my 29th birthday. Happy early birthday!

Awesome!! Happy early Birthday to you too, and happy anniversary! =D
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    11/1 48 oz water / under caloric intake / 1 mile
    11/2 48 oz water / over caloric intake / 0 mile
    11/3 48 oz water / at caloric intake / 1 mile

November Totals:
    2 miles / 98 to go!

@sarahkova - the weeks normally are Thurs-Fri. However, since November started on Tuesday, the week is Tues-Fri for this week. You post on this thread your progress for the three items that we're focussing on weekly. Water & exercise are always in the weekly goals but a different item is usually added for the third goal. All of this information is at the top of the spreadsheet that you post your weight in (it's updated every Friday). Hope this helps! We're glad you're here!
  • sarahkova
    sarahkova Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    thanks okie

Nov 1st/ Under calories/ 80 oz water/ 4.4 activity miles
    Nov 2nd/ under calories/64 oz water /7.44 activity miles
    Nov 3rd/ Under Calories/ 80 oz water/ 11.46 activity miles

Today we will see I was down 2.6 from Tuesday! :) (but only .8 from Friday!)
  • la_nanita
    la_nanita Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I am in.... Even though it is a little late. I need to shed at least 10lbs this month if I want to make it to my birthday goal!
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,924 Member
    Options
    Well, week one finished. I got in 32 miles and actually lost 3 pounds. I drank at least 60 ounces of water per day, often more and was under my calorie goal each day. If I can keep this up, I should lose another 12 pounds this month. Woo Hoo!
  • kjloiselle
    kjloiselle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    under calorie goal everyday.
    drank 112 oz. everyday.
    complete 16 miles on the elliptical (another 5+ tonight)
    zero weight loss and no idea why :(
  • drsteph01
    Options
    I started the Slim in Six program on the 1st. My calculations put me at 17.87 miles in four days of doing that program. I did OK eating, but did indulge in a few two many fun size candy bars. I met all my water goals and was under my calorie goal every day. Only lost 0.2 pounds, but it is that time of the month for me as well. Overall a good week. Great to be part of this group.

Good luck everyone!
  • youuluvashh
    youuluvashh Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Week 1 Challange

10/1 - 45 BootCamp = 6.4 miles, 30C25K = 1.5 miles // 104 oz. // Under Calories
    10/2 - 45 BootCamp = 6.4 miles, 21 Eliptical = .78 miles // 80oz // Under Calories
    10/3 - 45 BootCamp = 6.4 miles, 30C25K = 1.7 miles // 112 oz // Under Calories
    10/4 - 45 BootCamp = 6.4 miles, 30 Eliptical = 1.2 miles // 104oz // Under Calories

Total Miles: 30.78
    Miles Left: 0
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I thought the "turkey trots" were people who got diarrhea after eating poultry

:laugh:
  • Athena413
    Options
    Silly Question what are the "weeks" when should we record our total of Activity miles for the week? I am guessing when we weigh in on Friday's but I just want to make sure.

Weeks will run Friday through Thursday. Since November started on a Tuesday, week 1 will actually only be Tuesday through Thursday (November 1-3) and week 2 will be November 4-10, and so on. Then just record your stats from the previous week each Friday - your stats for today should be mileage for Nov. 1-3 and your weight as of this morning. Hope that helps!
  • Athena413
    Options
    Silly Question what are the "weeks" when should we record our total of Activity miles for the week? I am guessing when we weigh in on Friday's but I just want to make sure.

Weeks will run Friday through Thursday. Since November started on a Tuesday, week 1 will actually only be Tuesday through Thursday (November 1-3) and week 2 will be November 4-10, and so on. Then just record your stats from the previous week each Friday - your stats for today should be mileage for Nov. 1-3 and your weight as of this morning. Hope that helps!
  • Athena413
    Options
    I've logged almost 40 miles this week and it seems pretty high to me. I hope I'm doing it right:

1st Nov - Teaching Zumba (60mins)
    2nd Nov - Spin (45mins) and Body Combat (60mins)
    3rd Nov - Teaching Zumbatomic (40mins) and Teaching Zumba (60mins)

Hope I've got the right calculations. Does that seems about right to anyone?

With those activities, I can see how you could get close to 40 miles. One spin class for me can be around 20 miles, and I log Zumba as high impact aerobics - an hour being about 7 miles, so I think you're lookin' good! The bar is set kind of high for some, but low for others. For me 100 miles in a month is pretty low - I can usually get around that many in one week, but for other people 100 is pretty hard to hit. If you see that you think you might be pretty close to your 100 by the end of next week, feel free to up your personal goal and we can change the spreadsheet to reflect how many miles you actually want to shoot for. I just didn't want to set the mileage too high and then people get discouraged because they couldn't hit the goal.
  • Athena413
    Options
    I've logged almost 40 miles this week and it seems pretty high to me. I hope I'm doing it right:

1st Nov - Teaching Zumba (60mins)
    2nd Nov - Spin (45mins) and Body Combat (60mins)
    3rd Nov - Teaching Zumbatomic (40mins) and Teaching Zumba (60mins)

Hope I've got the right calculations. Does that seems about right to anyone?

I am wondering the same thing.... but I did it exactly as explained!!... On my eliptical I barely do a mile but according to that sheet it should be logged as around 6... IDK :(

As far as elliptical goes, if you know actual mileage, you can use that if you want. The sheet is just a guideline for those activities that don't have miles - like Zumba, weight lifting, and things like that.
  • Athena413
    Options
    I spinned 32 miles this week and went to yoga class. Should I use the converter to all of my exercise or count in actual spinning miles and only use the converter for yoga ? I guess it just seems like I am "overachieving" if I don't use the converter for all exercise except walking/elliptical (when I know the mileage) since this challenge is based on the number of steps. Swimming may only give me 1 to 1.5mph where as walking gives me 3-4mph and cycling typically gives me 15-20 mph. I feel like I am cheating the system, as one great spin class, and I'd have my 20 miles in for the week if I used straight miles.

I do 2-3 spin classes per week, so I understand being able to rack up the miles pretty quick. I would use actual miles if you know them, though, and if 100 miles is too low of a goal for you, you can set your own personal goal and we can adjust the spreadsheet accordingly. That's probably what I'm going to do for me because it's not unusual for me to get 100 miles in one week. See a few posts up where I explained why I set it at 100.
  • Athena413
    Options
    Lookin' good so far, peeps! Also - sometimes it's hard for me be super active in the message boards because I work a lot, but I'm on MFP A LOT. If any of you ever have any questions and I haven't responded quickly enough on the thread or maybe I've accidentally missed your question, feel free to send me a message and I'll probably answer a little quicker - then you can post your question/my answer in the thread in case anyone else had the same question. I try not to be MIA, but life happens. Thanks, again, for joining my challenge this month!!
  • jilleencaizzi
    jilleencaizzi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is my first challenge!! This is just what I needed this month. going to the chart now
  • arwaleenah
    arwaleenah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Week 1 challenge
    11/1-bootcamp 73 min (10.4miles), zumba 60 min(5.4miles), under calories and drank 48oz H2O
    11/2 -35 min circuit training (5.0 miles) undercalories and 64oz H2O
    11/3- 70 min circuit training (10 miles) undercalories and 64oz H2O
    Total miles=30.8 miles, lost 0lbs