WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER

Options

Replies

• KayeRichards
    KayeRichards Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would love to join this thread!
    Have only been on MFP for a short while but have found it so useful and encouraging.

My goals for November would be to up my exercise and lose at around 2kg (about 4.4lbs). So far loss has been slow but I have only been exercising for 1 hour, 3 days a week.

I love the idea of a gratitude journal, that is so wonderful and I will start writing one. There are so many things to be thankful for!
    Positive thinking is a great plus in this journey.

I wish you all continued success!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    :smile: Kaye, you are soo right about positive thinking, and you won't meet a more postive group than these gals.
    :flowerforyou: Cynthia, qofsheba and everyone who celebrated October successes, con VERY gratulations.
    :tongue: Fresh starts in Nov for the rest of us!
    :noway: SMVQ, no kitchen? Not even a countertop convection oven for your veggies nor a sink in which to wash them? :explode: Light a fire under that boy's butt!

:mad: :angry: :explode: Now will someone kindly explain to me how a packed teaspoon of Splenda Brown sugar blend can have MORE calories than a packed teaspon of "regular" brown sugar? Feeling "had":sick: once AGAIN by the weight loss industry. :mad: :angry: :explode:

:love: hugs to all,
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say that I had to wear my winter coat today. I have decided to be thankful that I have a coat rather than complaining. It is cold, wet, and windy, and they are predicting snow. I can't complain about that either, after the drought!

Have a great Wednesday! Here's to smart choices!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,010 Member
    Options
    Wow, you all have some impressive goals for the month. So here are mine:

1. Keep a gratitude journal (great suggestion Barbie):smile:
    2. Drink 8 glasses of water a day (not counting coffee or tea)
    3. Work out at least 3 times a week in spite of birthday, movie premier, opera, or Thanksgiving.
    4. Log everything I eat, everyday.
    5. Don't neglect hubby in spite of busyness.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    hi all, welcome to all newcomers.....congrats to all who had weight losses.....

my goals for november are : 1) to increase my daily exercise time by 10 to 20 minutes; 2)to stay within my calorie range, with Thankgiving being the exception;3)to stay positive;4)eat more veggies and fruits

barbie, thank you for starting the thread...i love this group, a wonderful place for support, comfort and info....

have a great day all:flowerforyou:
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd lost you all :sad: & then I remembered its November:bigsmile: . So happy November everyone & welcome to our new ladies. Off to read & catch up.
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! And WELCOME to all of our new ladies...I started to name each name and realized that there were too many and I might forget one of you. Come back often so we get to know you!

I did take a nap yesterday afternoon....haven't done that in a very long time. But, I also nibbled on a few things that I didn't need. SO...today I got lots of exercise in first thing. I actually jogged for 18 minutes today out of my 45 minute walk!!! I have not run that many minutes in too long to remember! (The most at a time is 5 minutes, which is also a bump up for me!)

Regarding October goals- I did pretty well. I only lost half of a pound, but I fit in my strength training and interval training on a regular basis and also added jogging into my daily walk at least 3x a week. I feel stronger for sure and have more stamina (except for yesterday???) So on to November!

Sally: Glad you had fun playing golf with your friends! It sounds like a great day.

Robin: When is your grandbaby due? How exciting! We are expecting our second granddaughter in early March. We only had sons so little girls are a great treat for us!

I have some nice shrimp left from our house guests. Think I will try shrimp quesadillas for dinner...I had a recipe for them somewhere...

Take care, Dear Ladies:heart::heart: Kackie

Have a
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Hi everyone.... lots of new faces.... welcome:flowerforyou:

So much for my fresh start for November..... good day yesterday.... until dinner.... my son isn't well and he is sitting his last exam so I made his favourite meal of tuna pasta bake.... I told myself I was going to be strong and just have a small bowl.... but somehow I was possessed when serving up and I ended up with a huge bowl.... I just can't help myself with comfort food like that.... over half a kilo of pasta sitting in my stomach.... what was I thinking!!

Oh well..... lots of activity today to try and make up for it..... I'm due to do my walk/run this morning but it is raining.... I'm going to try and fit a trip to the gym in this morning.... and I've already done my son's paper round.

Its also my husband's birthday today and we have a tradition for his birthday.... there is an annual sculpture exhibition on called Sculpture By the Sea.... its on at Bondi beach and you do this wonderful coastal walk over an hour or so with all the sculptures on the cliff faces and on the sand and end up at Bondi beach for dinner in a fabulous Italian restaurant... hopefully the rain will clear up this morning and it will be ok to go... I need to burn the calories so I can have a glass of wine with dinner!

My thoughts are with those of you having health issues at the moment.... best wishes for getting up and healthy soon.

Talk soon, :heart: Lisa:heart:
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hi Everyone:

So glad we are starting a new month. I had a fairly decent October, so I am glad.

Congrats to those of you who had losses and to those of you who can get clothes on that you could not get on, isn't that great? It happened for me too - I could get things on too that I could not get on a couple of weeks ago, which encourages me to continue.

Robin - Congrats on the impending grammahood!! You will love it :heart:

Mimi - So very glad that you are back, I have truly missed hearing from you and I really mean that :flowerforyou:

It looks like so many of you have set great goals for the month.

I am going to try and lose 8 lbs for the month, that is my goal and I will try hard to make it :wink:

We did not have many trick or treaters either so I took all the candy to work for the clients/couriers/etc so it would not be around the house :smile:

Anyway, My Friends, talk to you later. Hope everyone is well.

Love, Cathy xx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Welcome Ronna. Tell us more about yourself, we're dying to know!

Vince decided to keep two bags of 3 Musketeers and a bag of M&M's. Do you know that he put one bag of the 3 Musketeers in the refrigerator? Just what I need, to look at that bag of candy each and every time I open the refrigerator! So I put them on the door, behind his juice. If the bag wasn't open, then it wouldn't bother me. But an open bag is an invitation.....

Welcome Elaine, be sure to tell your friends to join this forum, too.

Let's not forget Janet, welcome! So many new faces!!!!! Happy birthday Janet. Awesome weight loss!

We're glad to have you, Kathy. Just jump right in, the water's fine :) Congrats on the weight loss! I'm with you, these next few months I will be happy to be maintaining.

mimi - what a wonderful surprise to see you!

Took down most of the Halloween decorations, so I was outside most of the day. The people at the Y called me to ask me if I was planning to attend their annual prayer breakfast. Honestly, I never have in the past. Pay $20 to have breakfast? I don't think so. So I told them that I wasn't because my husband was going for surgery. Well, that's not entirely a lie -- he IS going for surgery. I just omitted the part that his surgery is 5 days earlier than the breakfast, that's all.

Stopped at the Y the other day to ask the executive director if I shouldn't have been off the Board as of May. In other words, did she screw up? I really would prefer not to be on the Board any more. I thought it was going to be something else, that I would be able to give input about fitness. That's my passion. Really, the only thing it seems that I'm good for is fundraising, and that's no where near my comfort zone. I talked to her at the last general meeting which was about 2 weeks ago, at that time she said she'd look into it for me. A week went by, no word from her so I emailed her. Still no word so I stopped there. She wasn't in her office but I left her a message along with my email address. Still haven't heard from her.

Going to just rest, watch some TV, and take it easy. Tomorrow I'll do a weight DVD and then Fri I'll do this AM & PM walking DVD that I have since Vince is going to the hosp. and I'm not sure when I'll be able to work in exercise.

Hope everyone has a great evening

Michele
  • topaz2986
    topaz2986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Evening All!

Day2...I got in my exercise, water, and was under calories. but....I hit the m&m peanuts again. I need to get myself off of the sweets again....too addicting. I'm not too sore from the kettlebell yesterday. My legs n abs have a hurt-so-good kinda feeling. Next time I might try to go past workout 1.

Lisa...Happy Birthday to hubby. Bondi Beach sounds wonderful. Hope all goes well for your son.

Cathy....Good idea to give away the candy. I think Eric would cry if I did that. He's great at getting me good stuff to eat...but his day is full of junk. I'm happy he gave up the soda.

Bellawares....I would love to find a kettlebell class. There are none close to me...how sad is that. There are so many health clubs around here...and no kettlebell. South Jersey is so backwards! I have a dvd by Gin Miller that came w/my kettlebell. I like her workout...but it would be nice to be in a class.

Have a good day tomorrow everyone!
    Rita
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    Hi all,

I surpassed my goals for October. Was going for 500 gms lost but lost 1.4 kgs over my first 2 weeks. I'm thrilled! I also aimed to do my situps every second day, which I did. And drink all my water, which I did. :happy:

This month, my goals are:

Lose 2 kgs.
    Stay as close to calories (preferably under) every day if at all possible.
    Drink my eight glasses of water per day.

No exercise goals this month as I'm having an abdominal operation and that will rule that out.
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Barbara, not sure on the Splenda, seems funny to me. Maybe the number in the database is wrong???

Mary, way to turn that feeling about cold around. I used to complain about raking the yard, but then would remind myself that it meant I had a roof over my head as well.

Lisa, you were being a good mom and helping your son out during a hard time for him. Tomorrow is another day.

Michele, seems like the Y just brings on stress for you.

Kathie, yay on surpassing your October goals! ((((Vibes)))) for the operation this month.

We have the small reeses cups and small heath bars left over. I have put them in a bag in a cabinet that I don’t open very often so I don’t have to see them. Got in some time on the spin bike despite having ipod issues. I have two old ones and the batteries just don’t hold the charge like they used to. I had to stop 27 min in to get the other one, then it quit 5 minutes before I wanted the session to end (I wanted 60 minutes and got 55 minutes). It was close enough.

Oh, does anyone know how to delete a food on the phone app? I can make changes to a food already on there, but I can’t figure out how to delete it. I’ve changed the amounts to zero and delete them when I get home on the regular computer.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone - dropping in to wish everyone a good healthy day.

As usual I'm running late - maybe I should have that as one of my goals for November. Get Organised !!!

I'm so off lately with everything, it's as if my mind is "mush" at the moment, can't seem to concentrate/get focused :ohwell: :ohwell: :noway:

:flowerforyou: Just had to mention Janet - you are amazing!

:flowerforyou: Mimi welcome back I've missed you.

To everyone else thanks for being here. :heart: :heart:

Chat again soon
    Viv x
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    no workout for me yesterday, i started a bible study class, its on wednesday mornings, so i just make wednesday one of the errand days.....looking forward to the gym this morning, spinning classs and weights(maybe a double spinning class)...have a lovely day all:flowerforyou:

@michele...good luck with your husband sugery....

@kathie...great news on your weight loss

@qofsheba....great job on the 3lb loss

@1960lisa...happy bday to DH...its sounds like a lovely day is planned

@topaz2986...GET THE MMs out of the house, NOW..:flowerforyou: .i also have a GREAT sweet tooth, so i put the left overs in the fridge in the garage....

@mimi..good to have you back...good luck with the kitchen
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Great dance class last night, learning new Alabama Slamma'.
    :blushing: Viv sure resemble your brain-to-mush, by the time we get through the 2nd set of 8 steps, I've forgotten the first...:tongue:
    :noway: Thanks Cynthia I re-checked the packages and the db is correct. 1 tsp/4g brown sugar = 15. 1/2 tsp/2g Splenda brown blend = 10. 2 x 10=20. 5 more calories per tsp for the Splenda. Just one more argument that the real stuff in moderation is better than the fake :grumble:
    :heart: Michelle, will keep good thoughts for Vince, hope the upcoming surgery is minor and successful.
    :flowerforyou: Likewise Kathie, convery grats on your progress, and best wishes for easy as possible surgery.
    :smile: Faye like Barbie I'm impressed at your butchering skills. If I had to, I'd probably return to vegetarianism... ;):sick:

11/2: 11518
    11/1: 10453
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Well, today should have been my final antibiotic, but I am still quite sick and the doctor is extending it for another 10 days. Since it lowers my blood sugar so much, and I have to eat constantly, I will continue to not log but try to eat healthy foods. I have done okay with that so far, so hopefully, in another 10 days, I will feel much better and can get back in the groove.

I hope all of you are having a wonderful day!
  • sveltewisher
    sveltewisher Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Barb, for the November thread...It has been 1 month since I was on myfitnesspal. I gained 1 pound. I started at the gym again today. Ate and drank poorly on Halloween weekend but had fun. Need start again before the holidays. Feels good to be back!
  • 77tes
    Options
    Well, yesterday I didn't drink 8 glasses of water -- only 7. I stayed under my calories by 12 (hey, under is under, right?), and I squeezed a walk even though I was at work for 11 hours. Today, I am missing my zumba class :frown: because I am working. I'm not sure where I'll squeeze in exercise, but I'll work on it. I have already exercised 3 times this week, and I plan to be at my boot camp class on Sat. am. Tomorrow will be a super fun day. I'm hanging with new friends all afternoon through evening.:happy:
  • 77tes
    Options
    :noway: I re-checked the packages and the db is correct. 1 tsp/4g brown sugar = 15. 1/2 tsp/2g Splenda brown blend = 10. 2 x 10=20. 5 more calories per tsp for the Splenda. Just one more argument that the real stuff in moderation is better than the fake :grumble:

Wow! That's an eye-opener. I always thought the real stuff was better than chemicals, but I never though the real sugar was actually LOWER in calories. That is CRAZY!