Flab-u-less Closed Group (November Team Challenge

Options
Hi Everyone!

Well, here is our final team for the challenge!!!

Azeria (me)
Mememond
Nikstergirl
Jilleebean777
JustJenn419

Licha had to back out and JustJenn419 joined our team! Welcome Jenn! We picked our team name last night "Flab-u-less". Hope it meets your approval.

I will write some more later, but first I am going to try to go and share this link with everyone, to invite you to write here... Hopefully this works!

Replies

• azeria
    azeria Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Here is the original thread, for the invite to the challenge, if you want to read more on it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/381372-belinda-s-november-team-challenge

To make things a little easier, I have copied and pasted together the messages written by Mnfrazie, the creator of the challenge. I am going to paste it now.

Message 1:

Welcome to the first month of Belinda's Team Challenges.
    Here are the basics...
    1. Teams of 5 people (1 captain reports to me weekly on Sunday or Monday)
    2. Challenge will be exercise
    3. Team will earn BONUS points for weight lost
    4. Special Bonus days will also be created to keep things fun and ever changing
    5. Google Spreadsheet for tracking teams progress will be provided to the team captain
    6. PICK A UNIQUE TEAM NAME!!
    7. I will post a new thread weekly with status updates and the exercise challenges for the following week

READY SET GO! BUILD YOUR TEAM QUICKLY!!! As soon as you have a team of 5 and a team name please either message me OR comment here....

Message 2: Theme

EEKK Forgot this part! We are going with a Turkey/Fall theme! Happy Hunting :)

---- Oh and Captains DO NOT FORGET to get a starting weight from EVERYONE tomorrow
    Edited by bmfrazie on Mon 10/31/11 02:43 PM

Message 3:

Today will be a FREE day for all teams since we are still trying to work out the kinks. Later today I will send a message to all the captains explaining how things work and giving them the link to the google spreadsheet for the challenge.

All that has to be done today is get a starting weight for EACH of your team members. For those of you new to the team challenge thing it is often easier if you create a thread that has your teams name and says CLOSED GROUP for everyone to report to.

Message 4:

Happy to see so many people wanting in on the challenge! Working as a team tends to keep more people accountable because you have 4 other people expecting you to pull through for them.

Captains don't forget to post back to the thread WHO is on your team as soon as you get your 5 team members AND your team name!! I have most of the spreadsheet worked out...I am just trying to figure out how to add in the Bonus days so you wont have to do any extra math. I will message all the captains later today with a link to the link for their team info and explain what the exercises will be for day one (WEDNESDAY)!!

Message 5:

Tue 11/01/11 10:02 AM
    QUOTE:

i just realised its an exersize challeng n not a weight loss challenge, i only have 5-6 lbs to go thats why i wasnt going to ask to join but if its exersize i would love to join. Im on holiday from 11th nov till 17th nov, would that matter coz i prob wont get on to log anything.x

If you knew the exercise for those days could you tell your captain when you get back if you completed them or not? Your team gets 1 point for each day you do your activity. If ALL of the team does the exercise everyday (6 days) then the team gets a BONUS 5 points.

Message 6:

I am about to walk away from the computer for awhile and wanted to make sure that the captains and everyone gets the general idea of the challenge.

I will give a list of exercises that can be done at home for each day of the week (I will try to get to where I can give you a week out at a time). Your team earns 1 point for each day that you do said exercises. We will always have Sunday as a rest day so that should be 6 days of activity (4 this week). If ALL of your team does the activity EVERY day then you will earn a bonus 5 points for the week.

You also will earn points off of how much weight is lost and I will add in some extra bonus items for the teams to keep it fun and exciting like extra points for water drank, miles walked/ran, crunches or etc....

Message 7:

BONUS for this week is drinking 100 oz of water....It will run from Wednesday to Saturday....That means your team can earn an extra 4 point per person this week (20 points if everyone does it)!! DRINK UP!!!

EXERCISES TO BE POSTED SHORTLY!!

Message 8:

Sorry that wasn't clear. 100oz per day for 1 extra point! That means you will drink 400 oz in 4 days!!!

EDIT: CAPTAINS TO RECORD THIS YOU WILL MARK 1 POINT IN THE WATER COLUMN NEXT TO THE PERSON'S NAME EACH DAY. SO ON DAY 1 THE WATER COLUMN SHOULD ONLY READ 1...IF THE PERSON DOES THIS ALL FOUR DAYS THE NUMBER SHOULD READ 4. Understand? You just add the number of days they completed.
    Edited by bmfrazie on Tue 11/01/11 02:25 PM
  • azeria
    Options
    Now for our first challenge for Day 1 (tomorrow):

Message 9:

I am keeping the exercises for tomorrow rather simple since it is day one. You need to do this in a circut all at one time (not broke up through the day). You can however break up the numbers into easier sets.
    75 jumping jacks
    40 crunches/sit ups
    30 squats
    10 push ups

You should allow yourself about 1 minute rest between sets.
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I am glad to be here!! Can't wait to start the challenge!!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's a great challenge! I usually don't workout on Wednesday's, so I'll fit it in somewhere... hm... where, I don't know, but I will!!!!

So we only need to do the amounts listed in this challenge, right? So if I do all 75 jumping jacks at once I'm done with that, right? Just want to make sure...

Thanks for having me on the team! I'll do my best. Don't have much more to lose, but I'm needed a challenge to stay motivated to workout as I have a LOT of toning yet to do. I drink TONS of water, so the 100 oz challenge should be no problem for me... I'll start keeping track again as I've slacked on tracking water lately.
  • azeria
    Options
    Yes, you need to complete the number of jumping jacks and other listed. however, Bmfrazie mentioned that we had to do it in a set... So, to me that means: Do some jumping jacks, crunches, squats, push-ups and start over... However you want to do of each at a time, as long as you end up with the final number.

When you have completed your daily goal, send me a message on this thread. Also, please do let me know if you are drinking your 100 0z of water daily (that's 12.5 cups of water a day!)

We can do this team! Because we are Flab-u-less!!!!
  • Nikstergirl
    Options
    Awesome! I get it... I'll be back tomorrow with this challenge completed!!!

Thanks again, this is going to be fun!!!!
  • Mememone
    Mememone Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    wow!! We are going to do great!!! Ready to start!! and this should keep it interesting! :):smile:
  • azeria
    Options
    I am looking forward to the challenge as well!!! Just got the spreadsheet and entered in our starting weight!!! Exciting! Let's make sure to report back here and complete our challenges daily (we get Sundays off). That way we'll get all the points necessary to get ahead! Together we can do it as a team!

On another note, I thought it would be nice if we introduced ourselves. I usually don't share my actual name on here, out of fear, but I'm trying to overcome all of that. The best way to overcome your fears, is to face them!

So, here's a little about me, and what got me on this journey. My name is Lynn, I live in the Northern part of Canada (no igloo though... lol). I have a condition called Polycystic Ovaries Sydrome Disorder (often referred to as PCOS). There are many side effects to this disorder such as losing hair where you are supposed to have it (head) and growing hair where your are not (facial, belly, etc...). Which can lead to some embarrassment. However, there are 2 side effects that bother me more then anything else.

1. My body is insulin resistant. Which means it doesn't acknowledge the insulin I ingest and keeps producing more thinking I need it and then because I don't need it, it stores it as fat... Hence my problem with weight.

2. My body doesn't ovulate. Which means that I am having a pretty tough time getting pregnant. However, I know that it's not impossible... so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

So, what got me on this journey, other then a good friend, was my visit to a fertility clinic. The doctor told me that he wouldn't even consider doing any procedures on me until I got below 200. I was at 238 at the time and am at 197 now. I was quite excited when I did make it under the 200. However, I want to get to 180 before I go see him again... I'm also hoping that I'll get a miracle baby and not have to pay 10 000$ for the procedure. I believe in miracles and have heard that when someone with PCOS can start ovulating again when they lose weight... So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

So, that's my story, what's yours? What got you here?
  • Nikstergirl
    Options
    Wow, Lynn... I really hope you can have your miracle baby!!! My sister also has PCOS but wasn't diagnosed until after she had her two kids. She was told she was very lucky because according to all the tests, she shouldn't have had either one! She also struggles with her weight and her health, but she's getting there.. she doesn't use MFP, but another site, and she's lost about 40 pounds.

My name is Nikki and I've been overweight since college. I was average in high school but never in shape, just not fat, but a little flabby. Then in college I just let loose and gained all kinds of weight. I met my husband when I was 16 (and 117 pounds) and when we were planning our wedding I was up to about 172. I joined WW and lost 30 pounds and got married at age 22 and 142 pounds. Didn't keep it off long. Got pregnant for #1 at about 165 and delivered at 196. Got pregnant again at about 155 and delivered at 204. Keep in mind, I'm 5'2"!!!! I was HUGE! My baby is now 12 (the other is 15) and I've gained and lost the same 30 pounds probably 5 times.

About 1.5 years ago I decided it was time for real to take control and get fit. My mother is diabetic and overweight and sedentary and smokes. On Mother's Day 2010 I noticed for the first time that her feet were purple. I knew she had neuropathy, but this scared the crap out of me. I'm shaped exactly like her!!! So that very day I started C25K and started running. I weighed about 182 pounds. I've lost 52 pounds and have finished my first half marathon!!!!! I run 3-4 days a week and lift weights as well. I started back up with MFP in February of 2011 and it's really what got me moving again. I was about 168 back in Feb, so I've done most of my losing with MFP. Running has definitely changed my body in so many great ways. I've gone from a size 16 to a 4!!!!! Yes, a 4... who knew? I love shopping, I love feeling sexy and I love being fit!

This is the smallest I've been since high school. I can even prove it! There is a pair of jeans in my closet that I felt small and cute in back in high school... and they are too big now! Back in March I couldn't get them on, so I know I've transformed myself. My goal weight is within my grasp and from there I just want to maintain weight and tone up and tighten up my still-flabby parts. That's where I came up with the Flab-u-less name... I need less flab!!!!

So glad I joined this challenge. I tend to be very focused when I have a goal, like training for a race. Unfortunately, I don't have another race planned until April, so I've been a little unfocused this last month. This is just what I need to keep that drive going and get me to my goal. I'll do my best to do every fitness challenge and drink all the water, I pretty much only drink water anymore anyway!!!! I gave up all soda 2.5 years ago.... just some iced tea and the occasional adult beverage!!!!!

I will be going to Vegas for 4 days this month, but I PROMISE to keep up with the challenge. I will have my iphone with me, as well as staying with a friend who has a computer I can always borrow for a quick check in. If nothing else, I'll message you to let you know that I'm moving!!! I already planned to bring my running clothes!!!!

Let's get this, girls!!!!!
  • jilleebean777
    Options
    Wow, how do you follow up with such a touching story like that... :smile: Good luck to you in your family venture, and I too believe that miracles happen, so keep moving forward, you are doing GREAT so far!!

On that note, my name is Jill. I live in a small no where town in Central Massachusetts. I am an mother of a terrific 5 yr old girl, I have been married now 1.5 years. I am 28 years old, a 911/police diaptcher, and am looking to get back in shape for me now (plus i don't want the "office *kitten*" that comes with a desk job). I was not in my right frame of mind other times, more or less what other people were thinking, who I was going to run into and where...now it's ALL ME!!

1. In high school and college I was not fat. I was very athletic, and played sports year round. I became over weight because I became sedintary. I didn't HAVE to go to a practice every day anymore, I didn't HAVE to stay in shape for "next season", and I didn't HAVE to watch what I ate because of my young metabolism and activity level.

2. I am an emotional eater. I eat when I am stressed out, angry, bored, upset, hurt, lonely, happy, you name I will eat because of it.... I am working on this and am doing VERY well with controlling it right now. I let it get the best of me recently (just before MFP) when we found out my daughter may need to have a 2nd open heart surgery (her first was at 3 months old) I was crushed, and didn't know where to turn. I have people to talk to, but it doesn't seem like anyone completely understands the way I am feeling when I talk to them, so I turned to food for comfort. (I gained 15 lbs in 2 weeks)

Now that I am on track I feel like I can over come ANYTHING!! I am so happy to have you guys with me on this journey as well. Controlling this, and working through my emotions then letting them fester and take control of me feels unbelievable!! I can't wait to see what this month brings!!
  • Nikstergirl
    Options
    Wow, Jill... I hope you're daughter is doing well, she's been through a lot in her little life!!!! Congrats on kicking the emotional eating. I do that too, but I'm learning to run instead of eat. I did have a meltdown last Friday, but now it's once in a great while instead of once a week!!!!

I forgot to mention I live in West Michigan.... the weather is unpredictable, but I can't see living anywhere else!!!! Lovely meeting you all!!!!!
  • azeria
    Options
    Nikki: What some great success you have already achieved! I am glad you came up with our team name "Flab-u-less"! I hope you manage to get rid of all your flab too, and we'll be there right along with you. How great that you can fit in those sexy jeans! I have some jeans I can't wait to get into! Maybe by Christmas!

Jill: I totally know what you mean, I am an emotional eater too! Sometimes I eat and don't realize that I'm hiding a feeling behind it. I hope your daughter is doing ok. Did she end up going for the open-heart surgery? How is she doing?

It is hard to maintain an active lifestyle as an adult, especially when you have a desk job. Of course, our metabolism isn't quite the same as an adult as when we were younger... I used to work in daycare, and I was always on the ground rolling around with the kids... I know have more or less a desk job and the pounds just kept going up and up...

Let's hope this month helps us all get our metabolism back in gear and looking flab-u-less!!! (I am probably going to start using that word everywhere now... lol)
  • azeria
    Options
    When I saw the exercise list, I was a little scared and Bmfrazie did say she was taking it easy on us! However, I told myself that I signed up for this and chose to be the captain on top of it all! I can not let my team down!

So, I got up early this morning and did my sets of exercise. I broke it up into 5 sets (15 jumping jacks, 8 crunches, 6 squats, 2 push ups) X5. It does feel good to get it done! I did 75 extra jumping jacks at the end, because I felt like it and I did the ones with the sets with a kick (I need to do those for another challenge. Well only need to do 25 a day, but I pushed myself today). I don't usually push myself this much, it's been a while since I've been this motivated! I hope you all are too!

Remember to drink water as you do these exercise, I almost got sick because I forgot to. On another note, it's been a while since I sweat this much... and I burned 234 calories in the 19 minutes it took me to do this challenge... Awesome!!!

Have a nice day everyone! Please remember to let me know when you've accomplished the challenge so I can mark it on the spreadsheet!
  • JustJenn419
    JustJenn419 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Checking in for the first time!

My name is obviously Jenn :) I am a Jersey Girl, born and raised. (A real Jersey girl, not the ones you see on TV, lol) I am a single mom of a B-E-A-U-tiful three year old little girl. She is my absolute everything! I have always been the big girl, large structure and 5'8. But ever since I had my daughter, I've put on a bunch of additional weight making me the heavy big girl. I am finally close to my pre-pregnancy weight and I would love to see 175 before the new year. As an adult, I have never been below that number so anything more is super exciting.

I joined MFP in April and was on a super roll! Somewhere over the summer things started to fall apart. Working on getting it back together and hoping this will give me the boost I'm looking for. I also run my own challenge (smile to azeria) so its good to be a part of one as well as leading one. Different sides of motivation :bigsmile:

Let's get this party started!!!
  • JustJenn419
    Options
    Day 1 exercises DONE!!! :bigsmile:
  • jilleebean777
    Options
    Just got back from the gym, trainer Kicked my behind today....getting some lunch in then working on our exercise/water challenge!!

My DD, we found out that things are working ok for right now and they can hold off the surgery. (thank god!!) She will eventually need it, but right now she is doing fine, and her heart is compensating for what is going on. (hoping it'll keep it up)

Yea, me too. The emotional eating has been cut down to once in a while. Glad for that. I too would find myself eating for no reason, and I would have to stop myself. I didn't know why, just stuffing my face.

Good luck to you all today!! Have a great day!!
  • azeria
    Options
    Awesome job completing your exercise Jenn! And you have been an amazing leader for the CCC challenge!

I have been half the water done. I've calculated how much water is in my big bottle... (1 liter & 1 liter=32 oz, so I have to drink 3.125 of that bottle of water.) It seems like a lot, but I know I will get there.

Keep on sharing when you complete your exercise or drink your 100 oz of water! :-)
  • JustJenn419
    Options
    32oz down and I feel like I'm going to explode!!! How the heck am I going to get another 68oz in?!?!?!?
  • azeria
    Options
    Good Job with your workout at the gym Jill! I'm happy to hear that your daughter's heart is working for her right now. It is so worrisome when kids are so little... Good luck attacking the challenge!

Jen, I know what you mean! It is a lot of water! More then what they normally ask us to ingest daily! But, I'm sure you can do it. If not, you can simply try your best. I think that is all that we expect of one another, right team?
  • jilleebean777
    Options
    Work out done