Teacher support Group

Options

Replies

• beahurey
    beahurey Posts: 108
    Options
    I am not a teacher but I have three children in school. I want to say thank you to each and every one of you and you motivate me! I am one of those parents that bakes homemade cookies and cupcakes for every occasion. I suppose I was selfish in doing so because I never took the time to think about the teacher except for the fact, they were the teacher. I am going to try new healthy, clean snacks for Valentine's Day. Thank you for opening my eyes!
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I am not a teacher but I have three children in school. I want to say thank you to each and every one of you and you motivate me! I am one of those parents that bakes homemade cookies and cupcakes for every occasion. I suppose I was selfish in doing so because I never took the time to think about the teacher except for the fact, they were the teacher. I am going to try new healthy, clean snacks for Valentine's Day. Thank you for opening my eyes!

You know, I am so glad you didn't take take my comment the wrong way. Because I think most of us REALLY appreciate how hard parents work, for hours and hours and hours, on making those irresistible treats...or how they go out of their way to drive 2 hours to get Krispy Kreme doughnuts, or whatever. So, I have to admit, I usually eat whatever is brought in, whether I really want to or not, because I do not want the parents to think I'm ungrateful. And it's hard when that sweet little student looks me in the eye and says "I decorated this one just for you," or "I saved you a chocolate one, becaase I know it's your favorite." (etc.) It's probably due to all the guilt eating I had to do as a child. LOL....thanks mom!!!! HA! JK

In the past I've tried to take the treat and tell the student I would save it for my after school snack...with all intentions of NOT eating it....just to REALLY scarf it down after school. You know...the more I think about it...I think it really does have a lot to do with "guilt eating"...you know?...not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings by not eating what they made. A lot of us associate food with love & caring. Hmmm...

Does anyone else have that problem, whether it be school treats, potlucks or dinner parties?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    My toughest time is from 3:00-4:30.... We have a 1/2 hour "tutorial" time where we are trapped at school (even if we don't have kids come in) and then I have an hour commute home every day. There are sometimes it kills me to drive by fast food places heading home.

I have healthy snacks... I just forget to eat them, that's my huge issue. I just can't be bothered to eat... then I am STARVING later and wolf down anything.

I avoid the faculty room like the plague if I can help it....but they are getting sneakier.... they bring goodies to the office now (where I HAVE to go to make copies). Probably my biggest struggle though is that I am a food production teacher, which means trying the kids end product. Again, sometimes I've blown off snacks and wolfed down the whole sample (which is usually healthy sized).... and my whole day gets derailed. Luckily, I am taking them out of the classroom to do an internship this last semester for a while.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

OH! I would LOVE for parents to still be able to do this here. Even though I teach high school, my mom was an elementary teacher and all the districts have shifted to only "store bought/made" goodies! I was appalled! I mean first off the parents who want to do these things are being excluded (I always wanted to make cute goodies for my kiddo classes...now I can't). Secondly, you are totally removing the parent (who want to or not) from the whole equation... it's easy to have a sibling grab a bag of cookies or something. Lastly... most store items are at least 50 times worse for kids then something homemade. If it's homemade there are at least some options to improve health....

It just makes me soooo sad.

I am happy to hear that in some places parents are still allowed to participate so fully in their childs educational experience....even if it is just mainly at party times!
  • Kelleighanne
    Options
    Oh! Oh! I want to join :)

This is my 6th year teaching. I teach Pre-K SPED. It's fun... most days LOL. Last year was my first year with this particular job and I lost 25 lbs :) THen I gained most of it back and now I'm trying to lose it again. I just get SO hungry when the kids leave.
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Oh! Oh! I want to join :)

This is my 6th year teaching. I teach Pre-K SPED. It's fun... most days LOL. Last year was my first year with this particular job and I lost 25 lbs :) THen I gained most of it back and now I'm trying to lose it again. I just get SO hungry when the kids leave.

Oh man....what were you doing to help you lose 25 lbs in the first place??? DO SHARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need those kinds of tips on how to get sneak in extra exercise at work!!!!:happy:
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I started out as a home ec teacher. I always laugh at the fact that I taught it, but never took it in high school!

When my kids were cooking I would nibble all through the day and skip lunch because I just wasn't hungry.

Luckily, I am now teaching middle school, so I don't have all the parents bringing in things. However, one day I brought one of my classes a homemade red velvet cake because most of the students had never had any before. I made it just big enough for them and none for me, except for what was stuck to the knife. :tongue:
  • sweetassurance
    Options
    Can home school teachers join as well? :bigsmile:
    I use to work for a school but decided to stay home and home school my children instead:wink:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I started out as a home ec teacher. I always laugh at the fact that I taught it, but never took it in high school!

When my kids were cooking I would nibble all through the day and skip lunch because I just wasn't hungry.

Luckily, I am now teaching middle school, so I don't have all the parents bringing in things. However, one day I brought one of my classes a homemade red velvet cake because most of the students had never had any before. I made it just big enough for them and none for me, except for what was stuck to the knife. :tongue:

OH! I never took home ec either... it is funny to me too!
    My grandma was a home ec teacher forever!

I do okay during most classes, except food production.

A huge thing is stress for me this year. It is insane! Last year seemed sooo much easier for some reason.
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    I'm in! This is my 3rd year of teaching and I have had a problem with my weight going up every year around October. I teach kindergarten this year...they ALL need me ALL of the time- which is very stressful. Sometimes I say, "OK kids, Mrs. Hubbard is going to take a time-out, so you can't talk to her for 5 minutes," just to get a break. Oh, and drinking 8 glasses of water as a teacher? Yeah right! We don't have the privilege of using the restroom :-( Anyway, its time to get fit!
  • Mickie17
    Options

Oh MYLANTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Red Velvet Cake is one of my serious weaknesses!!!! My son offerd to make it today, and I begged him to wait until Valentine's Day. (Because I knew I'd eat the whole thing, hungry or not)!!!!
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Can home school teachers join as well? :bigsmile:
    I use to work for a school but decided to stay home and home school my children instead:wink:

OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Mickie17
    Options
    I'm in! This is my 3rd year of teaching and I have had a problem with my weight going up every year around October. I teach kindergarten this year...they ALL need me ALL of the time- which is very stressful. Sometimes I say, "OK kids, Mrs. Hubbard is going to take a time-out, so you can't talk to her for 5 minutes," just to get a break. Oh, and drinking 8 glasses of water as a teacher? Yeah right! We don't have the privilege of using the restroom :-( Anyway, its time to get fit!

OH MY GOSH...bladder issue are the worst for teachers!!!! When I come back after Summer Break or a vacation, it's the worst!!!! So I hear ya on that...I find myself waitiing until after school to start drinking water...and then I hardly ever get a real full 8 glasses in. Anyone got a suggestion for that, which doesn't involve a diaper?????? :wink:
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have covered for other teachers and had teachers or admin cover for me to get in a potty break. I also take advantage of class changes and make the kids wait outside my locked classroom door.

By the way, when setting up your profile, how did you mark your activity level? I have tried lightly active, but that gives me approx 1300 calories a day. The moderately active bumps me up to 1400, but sometimes that's too much, which makes it hard for me to stick to a goal.:ohwell:

Any suggestions?
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    So far, I have stuck with this for 7 days (including working out) and have not lost anything. I will keep with it, but by the end of week 2, I BETTER see something change! Anyone have suggestions?
  • jcpm98
    jcpm98 Posts: 114
    Options
    water, water, water!! Log your calories and exercise!
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    Got it. I started drinking the whole 8 glasses of water as of Saturday, so I hope to see something change soon. I am very good about logging thus far:flowerforyou: Thanks!
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be in this group! The first thing I think we need to do is to get away from those starchy school lunches! Do any of you consistently forget the lunch you packed at home? (I keep a loaf of bread and almond butter in my filing cabinet just in case I forget mine at home.) Otherwise I try to skip lunch and will shove about anything in my mouth at 3 or 4 to calm the growling! -and YES almond butter... I had to switch because we have a peanut free school district due to peanut allergies.

Where do we go from here? Do we need to add each other to our 'friends list'?
  • aminor61
    aminor61 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I want to join this support group. I work as a teacher in the adjudicated system. Talk about stress! We not only have to keep our students interested in our studies, but must deal with all of the emotional issues of being locked up. :grumble: You are disrespected daily. The administration wants you to perform with the standards. Add to that making it innovated with our population. It is a wonder I have any self-esteem at all.

I need this group. :flowerforyou: We have teacher professional days that turn out to be huge picnics at times. There is nothing healthy about that.

I will be praying for everyone. I may not be in the regular school district, but we are all teachers.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.

118163.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    We are what we think.
    All that we are arises with our thoughts.
    With our thoughts, we make our world.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Oh! I absolutely refuse to eat school lunch!
    I have been so appalled when I see what kids are eating these days, and sometimes cause it's the only choice! Also, a lot of my kids have gotten sick after eating from the lunch room (either from breakfast of lunch). My inner health/nutrition teacher screams out for justice. :laugh:

However, some of the stuff that comes out of my labs aren't exactly healthy. I've tried to clean it up though the last few years. I am lucky because I have pantry and fridge space in my room. I actually keep my breakfast and snacks here(if I remember to restock them) so I am not so tempted.

Also, I was on here 6 months before the scale REALLY budged. Don't freak out, this is a process and is going to take some time. Don't worry if OTHERS are losing weight "faster" then you are. Your body is going to need some adjustment time to the new things it's learning.... healthier diet, exercise, etc and how to respond to them. BREATHE.... we're teachers....we can handle anything. :flowerforyou: