Teacher support Group

Replies

• Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Dec08Jan09127.jpg
    Dec08Jan09126.jpg

With cupcakes like these, for our Challenger Space Mission field trip...no wonder teachers need major will power. :laugh: I got some for Valentine's Day too that are adorable, but I'm too exhausted from grading papers all afternoon and evening to download them into my PC. Later....
  • Mickie17
    Dec08Jan09126.jpg
    Dec08Jan09127.jpg
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    OMG those are absolutely adorable!!!!! sorry I haven't posted in a couple of days.

As far as the classwide detention, the parents were happy when they heard the whole story.

The kids had called the sub a leprechaun because he has really red hair. I teach at a predominantly african american school, so, I had them copy stereotyping, disrespect, and racism, from the dictionary. Then they had to explain what they did that was so wrong, including doing nothing, then they had to write an apology letter to the substitute.

The BEST part was, I told them they should be VERY nice to subs because so many of them are trying to get a teaching job in the future, and they never know whose classroom they might walk into next year. These were seventh grade students.

Over the summer, my school hired him as an eighth grade language arts teacher. I LOVE THE IRONY!!!!!
  • Mickie17
    OMG those are absolutely adorable!!!!! sorry I haven't posted in a couple of days.

As far as the classwide detention, the parents were happy when they heard the whole story.

The kids had called the sub a leprechaun because he has really red hair. I teach at a predominantly african american school, so, I had them copy stereotyping, disrespect, and racism, from the dictionary. Then they had to explain what they did that was so wrong, including doing nothing, then they had to write an apology letter to the substitute.

The BEST part was, I told them they should be VERY nice to subs because so many of them are trying to get a teaching job in the future, and they never know whose classroom they might walk into next year. These were seventh grade students.

Over the summer, my school hired him as an eighth grade language arts teacher. I LOVE THE IRONY!!!!!

Oh man...that makes my kids look like angels!!!! And I live by that saying "what goes around, comes around!!!" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They probably think you are the wisest person they ever met!!!! :happy: I love the dictionary idea too...I think I will add that to my bag o' tricks. I've never had to be SO mean...but I may be moving up to Jr. High or High School, if I get to keep my job. Our district is now planning to lay off 109 teachers. UGH! I just sent of my coursework to CCTC to see about a Supplemental Authorization in English and Social Studies. CROSSING MY FINGERS so I don't have to go take the tests next month. (No time to truly study for those tests).

I hope you are enjoying your weekend. I'm exhausted from being on Puppy Patrol all afternoon by myself...man can puppies pee a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh: I wonder how many calories I have been burning just from taking them out to go potty every 5 min.? Okay, it's not every 5 min., but it sure feels like it!:smile:
  • LifesPilgrim
    So far it's been a decent weekend for me. I've really screwed up the diet between stress from school and being sick, among other things. I'm really ready for us to get the FCAT over with in March!!!!

I HATE stadardized tests. But hey, I can put up with anything for 2 more weeks because then its back to what I enjoy doing!!!:wink:

I hope everyone else has enjoyed their long weekend too!
  • I just joined my fitness pal today and I am in! I lost 30 pounds my first year teaching, and have slowly gained it back over the past 7.

I hear you all about the afterschool munchies. It is my biggest downfall.

I can't wait until I feel healthy and not winded using the stairs. :smile:
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Yes! Yes! I think we can all identify with the stress, challenges of teaching while maintaining a healthy lifestyle!
    150768.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter

My students and I had a fruit party for dessert. They LOVED it! We added whip cream and chocolate syrup to give a little sweet, but it was by far more healthy than ice cream!
  • Mickie17
    Yes! Yes! I think we can all identify with the stress, challenges of teaching while maintaining a healthy lifestyle!
    150768.png

My students and I had a fruit party for dessert. They LOVED it! We added whip cream and chocolate syrup to give a little sweet, but it was by far more healthy than ice cream!

I love that idea! I used to do the fruit salad thing :smile: while I was teaching fractions....but have in several years. Next party, I think we'll do just that!
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Ugh..back to work after a holiday....principal was SO nice she scheduled a 7am meeting. It's pouring rain, so yuck raining day schedule....my colleague called in sick, so I have to help her sub with plans. She's helped me so I'm more and happy to return the favor, just I'm beat up from a workout and just want to crawl back into bed. :sad: Being a Wal Mart greeter would just be SO less stressful then this! :grumble:
    Give me strength to put on a happy face :bigsmile: I guess just hype up on the coffee! :drinker:
    Any positive thoughts to break me out of the post holiday morning funk???
  • Mickie17
    Ugh..back to work after a holiday....principal was SO nice she scheduled a 7am meeting. It's pouring rain, so yuck raining day schedule....my colleague called in sick, so I have to help her sub with plans. She's helped me so I'm more and happy to return the favor, just I'm beat up from a workout and just want to crawl back into bed. :sad: Being a Wal Mart greeter would just be SO less stressful then this! :grumble:
    Give me strength to put on a happy face :bigsmile: I guess just hype up on the coffee! :drinker:
    Any positive thoughts to break me out of the post holiday morning funk???

Here's a cheerful thought...it's only a 4-day week!!!! :happy:
  • LifesPilgrim
    Is there a way I can attach an e-mail with pictures? I got a great one today on the six phases of teaching that I would love to share with all you guys, but I can't copy it over with the pictures.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    150768.png

I love that idea! I used to do the fruit salad thing :smile: while I was teaching fractions....but have in several years. Next party, I think we'll do just that!

Have you guys ever tried fruit tacos?
    It's a cute idea...
    The taco shell adds a few calories but again, it's healthier then ice cream.
    r38454fp.jpg
    This pic has ice cream in it, but it could easily be omited or replaced with sorbet or low fat frozen yogurt even. However, simply fruit would be amazing.
  • Mickie17
    Is there a way I can attach an e-mail with pictures? I got a great one today on the six phases of teaching that I would love to share with all you guys, but I can't copy it over with the pictures.

I think you have to save them into your pc first, then upload them to photobucket. ???
  • Mickie17
    CB!!! WOW!!! What a great idea...that looks delicious!!!!!!!! I am so hungry and just got out of a very stressful meeting. I want one right now!!!!!!:tongue:
  • jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    Hey Fellow Educators!
    Well, I made it through Valentine's and my birthday weekend without going tooooooo overboard. :drinker:
    It was great because my sisters treated me to a facial and massage. We had them Sunday but boy could I have used it today after school!! We had a lot of teachers out for a training and do you think there was enough coverage???? :grumble: Of course not! Crazy Day!:explode:
    I feel like I am way off the wagon right now though. On top of that, my knee is bothering me and I wish it would just go away!!!:mad: I'm afraid to get on the treadmill.
    It is a fairly easy week though because we have a field trip tomorrow. The only bad thing is that we are falling behind pacing!
    Anyway, just needed to vent a little. Hope everyone is having a great week!!:flowerforyou:
  • hollyteech
    hollyteech Posts: 12 Member
    Hello fellow teachers!!! I'm so glad to find this group!!

I teach 4th and 5th grade in a multiage class in Los Angeles. I LOVE my students AND my job (for the first time in 15 years)!!! I have to share my Valentine's story this year:

My kids know that I have been working out like a demon (I work with a trainer 2 days a week before school), and go on my own another 3 days to take classes. So I gingerly told them this year that since I am working so hard on getting healthy, I would appreciate it if they supported me by NOT getting me any candy or cookies for Valentines Day. I asked for handmade cards if they so desired... it was really awkward.

So... come Valentine's morning... I received a handful of homemade cards, some flowers, a generous assortment of Starbucks gift cards, and probably the most thoughtful gift ever... a handmade basket of organic apples, chosen and put together by the student himself. It was wrapped in cellophane and had a handmade card. The student who made it for me, said, "I picked out all the apples for you since you said you were getting healthy.". LOVE IT!!! (btw... I DO work in a fairly affluent area, so I know how lucky I am).
    How cute it that???
    I am the luckiest teacher.
    Thanks for listening!
    Holly
  • That's the cutest thing ever! I love it...Fresh apples.

Oh yeah...Jhacker, it was my birthday weekend too, but I think I went overboard. I have just had a really hard time cutting out the sweets. For the first time in my life I have been craving chocolate. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I've never really "craved" any particular type of food. Any suggestions? I especially crave it in the mid morning and after school is over.
  • ChubbyBunny
    CB!!! WOW!!! What a great idea...that looks delicious!!!!!!!! I am so hungry and just got out of a very stressful meeting. I want one right now!!!!!!:tongue:

I HATE stressful meetings...luckily since i am the Home Ec teacher I get out of a lot of that.
    I think the Fruit Taco idea is too fun!
    I haven't had a chance to make em yet, but I can't wait!

:flowerforyou:
  • Mickie17
    Yes....stressful meetings where you've done a LOT of work, just to get slammed by your co-workers who haven't stepped up to help, and to be made to feel unappreciated really STINK! I've been on the verge of tears since 4pm. After a healthy dinner, I sincerely felt the urge to go eat chocolate and drink lots of red wine with it....but I didn't. That's not usual for me...the NOT doing it part. I actually went and worked out really hard....and I'm still upset, but I don't feel like flinging the pantry doors open stuffing my face anymore. WHEW!

Now I'm going to go walk the dogs, come home and have a cup of tea and watch American Idol with my hubby. I just wish I felt more supported by my co-workers. Does anyone have this problem???? If so, what do you do to handle it?
  • ChubbyBunny
    Ahhh... that is uncool.

I can't offer too much help, I was told that other teachers don't think my courses matter and have no bearing in life. :sad:

Yeah, cause Brit Lit made me a stellar person. :grumble: