Teacher support Group

Options

Replies

• LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I HATE putting together sub plans! Especially just before testing time. My biggest issue is that I feel like I'm letting the kids down by not being at school.
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I HATE putting together sub plans! Especially just before testing time. My biggest issue is that I feel like I'm letting the kids down by not being at school.

Yep....me too! I've been feling guilty allday because we have a huge test on Thursday and a huge project due. Oh well... I also found out that the teacher I share a door with was out yesterday, sick with the same thing I have. This is one NASTY virus. I've just been laying around all day...but not letting myself sleep, because I want to get 8 hrs of good sleep tonight, because I HAVE to go in tomorrow, sick or not....meetings, and then mandatory CPR....gosh, no wonder I'm sick! :laugh:
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    I've been able to avoid it so far (knock on wood). But my youngest was out last week which meant I was out at least one day. Thank God for Grandparents who live very close.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I dread lessons for subs.
    My kids dread them more... cause it's usually the hardest work I give!
    I already know I'll be out a few days due to club duties.... I hope no one cries this time.
    :huh:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    I'm so fortunate that my husband is usually able to work from home when the kids are sick!!!!

I dread getting report tomorrow, because I have some serious behavior issue kids this year. I don't want them to lose recess privileges, because I need a break too!!!!:wink:

Ooohh maybe I can take away their Valentine's Party....now that's a great consequence....but then I feel bad for the kids who were so good. UGH!!!! :grumble: Rock & hard place!!!
  • Mickie17
    Options
    OKAY TEACHERS!!! What consequences to do you give to your students when you've come back from being out sick, and you find out they were bad, bad, super bad!!!!!!!!!!! ?????????????

Just looking for new ideas here....:wink:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Ohhhh I don't know.
    My kids are terrified of angering me (I hold their kitchen labs....well any fun activities hostage in my class).
  • Smiley1010
    Options
    OKAY TEACHERS!!! What consequences to do you give to your students when you've come back from being out sick, and you find out they were bad, bad, super bad!!!!!!!!!!! ?????????????

Unfortunately, I don't have a plan for that.... write apology letters to the substitute, the principal, and you??
  • greysweatshirt
    Options

If it was a few specific students, I would make phone calls home to parents. If it was the class as a whole, loss of recess time and/or write apology letters. I'm an elementary music teacher and I had a class of 5th graders who are usually really great..but they were awful for me and their teacher made them stay in from recess and write me apology letters, and they were much better behaved when I saw them today.

I think the biggest thing is making them accountable for their actions. They need to understand that by making bad decisions, bad things happen to them.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

If it was a few specific students, I would make phone calls home to parents. If it was the class as a whole, loss of recess time and/or write apology letters. I'm an elementary music teacher and I had a class of 5th graders who are usually really great..but they were awful for me and their teacher made them stay in from recess and write me apology letters, and they were much better behaved when I saw them today.

I think the biggest thing is making them accountable for their actions. They need to understand that by making bad decisions, bad things happen to them.

Ohhhh apology letters, I am writing that one down for later! I like it!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I've been teaching for about a hundred years & here's how I make the whole sub ordeal less painful for everyone involved:
    1. Try to request a good sub in advance if you can.
    2. Tell the kids at the last minute that you'll be gone & will be back asap,it won't be a day off because school goes on anyway...you've left lots of important work, but if they do well, mind their manners & finish everything, there's a reward activity/extra recess/treat/whatever works with that particular group at the end of the day/period.
    3. Leave new pencils, stickers or erasers or something for the sub to hand out to hard workers. Make sure the sub makes you a list & that kids know there will be a list.
    4. When you come back, be sure to recognize & reward those who did a good job. Let them know that you hate being out because it's such a pain, you'll never be gone unless you have to, & you appreciate & expect ...whatever. Just think about what you'd hope for if you were the sub.
    I hope this helps.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Good suggestions!

I really didn't have a chance to tell them I'd be out, because I was sick in bed. Got the great sub..didn't lose a day of teaching.....but here's what's interesting:

She barely ratted them out...it was fellow students ratting on them, because they really were up to no good, but trying to APPEAR on task. UGH!!! :explode: I know, I know....They are just kids, they are just kids, they are just kids. :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    I assigned an entire class after school detention. ONCE. that was all it took.
  • Mickie17
    Options
    I assigned an entire class after school detention. ONCE. that was all it took.

No parent backlash????????
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Okay...I have now instituted DETENTION for my classroom!!! Hopefully this will work to keer the inappropriate behavior at bay! Thanks everyone!!!

GOOD NEWS: I survived Valentine's...only had 4 little candies!!! WHOO HOO!!! How did all of you do? My district is now on a 4-day, so...I'm on holiday!!!! Hooray!!!
  • malloriannspw
    Options
    Can I join too? :wink: I teach at an after school program on an air force base. I'm having suuuuch a hard time shedding these extra pounds the school year tends to put on me :laugh:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Yep. I held it to 1 cookie.
    Now if I can just hold on through this long weekend!
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Can I join too? :wink: I teach at an after school program on an air force base. I'm having suuuuch a hard time shedding these extra pounds the school year tends to put on me :laugh:

OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: Welcome to our little support group!!! :flowerforyou:

GEORG: Way to GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it up all weekend, you can do it!!! And just think how much easier next week is going to be when we DON'T blow it this weekend!!!! I'm kinda laughing at myself, because although I have the next 4 days off, I have mounds of work to catch up on....so I plan to not allow myself to eat while I work...that way my hands stay busy correcting papers....not feeding my face!!!! :wink: LOL!!!!
  • mmackie
    Options
    I know that you all probably had Valentine's parties in your classrooms...I was not able to resist the yummy cupcakes that my students made "just for me". I had a cupcake and a cookie (with frosting). Did anyone else have a bad day yesterday??? Although I did workout and do 50 minutes of cardio and my weights...I still felt really guilty! And now I have all this candy and chocolate in my house...:grumble:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    I know that you all probably had Valentine's parties in your classrooms...I was not able to resist the yummy cupcakes that my students made "just for me". I had a cupcake and a cookie (with frosting). Did anyone else have a bad day yesterday??? Although I did workout and do 50 minutes of cardio and my weights...I still felt really guilty! And now I have all this candy and chocolate in my house...:grumble:

I did pretty good...and I kept the really good chocolate for my "Emergency Stash" and then regifted all the other candy to my own kids! :wink: (I'm not much for candy hearts and Pixie Stix, etc. anyway)!

I did received a cool gift of mini chocolate cupcakes. They were beautiful! I took a photo, so as soon as I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll do that!