Teacher support Group

Options

Replies

• jhacker
    jhacker Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I want to join this support group. I work as a teacher in the adjudicated system. Talk about stress! We not only have to keep our students interested in our studies, but must deal with all of the emotional issues of being locked up. :grumble: You are disrespected daily. The administration wants you to perform with the standards. Add to that making it innovated with our population. It is a wonder I have any self-esteem at all.

I need this group. :flowerforyou: We have teacher professional days that turn out to be huge picnics at times. There is nothing healthy about that.

I will be praying for everyone. I may not be in the regular school district, but we are all teachers.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.

118163.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    We are what we think.
    All that we are arises with our thoughts.
    With our thoughts, we make our world.

I am with ya! I teach in a high poverty inner city school so I feel some of your stress too. These kids have parents locked up or living with other relatives and we have to make sure they pass a test!

ON another note, today was a teacher work day. I was real good about packing a lunch and BAM, my friend talked me into going out for lunch. :grumble:
    I didn't do too bad. We went to Tropical smoothie and I had a wrap and smoothie. Well, not too bad if I like sodium!!! I am watching my sodium due to HBP. I hate teacher work days!! Throws off my whole schedule and routine. Well, my lunch will be tuna fish, cucumbers and carrots tomorrow!!
    I do better with a routine. How about you guys?:ohwell:
  • beauplr
    Options
    This is a great idea. I spent ten years as a HS English teacher before trading that in to become a part-time adjunct professor. I was sick most of my last three years due to sick-building syndrome. I packed on the weight. This is my second year at the college level and I am finally getting around to some serious weight-loss.

I am a firm believer in packing my lunch. The cafeteria selections aren't any better at college. I pack a bento style lunch every day I have to be on campus.
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    I just thought I'd share this with you all to make you smile! It was forwarded to me by the school's secretary:

"The children were lined up in the cafeteria of a Catholic elementary school for lunch. At the head of the table was a large pile of apples. The nun made a note, and posted on the apple tray: "Take only ONE . God is watching." Moving further along the lunch line, at the other end of the table was a large pile of chocolate chip cookies. A child had written a note, "Take all you want. God is watching the apples."

:tongue:
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I have covered for other teachers and had teachers or admin cover for me to get in a potty break. I also take advantage of class changes and make the kids wait outside my locked classroom door.

By the way, when setting up your profile, how did you mark your activity level? I have tried lightly active, but that gives me approx 1300 calories a day. The moderately active bumps me up to 1400, but sometimes that's too much, which makes it hard for me to stick to a goal.:ohwell:

Any suggestions?

I'm listed as "lightly active" to get 1200...but I'm a shorty!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: So maybe that's why?????
  • Mickie17
    Options
    So far, I have stuck with this for 7 days (including working out) and have not lost anything. I will keep with it, but by the end of week 2, I BETTER see something change! Anyone have suggestions?

Yes, DON'T be patient, keep at it!!!! Do your exericise everyday, and eat healthy. A bunch of us are trying to figure out how to get those pounds melting, so hang in there and keep going for it!!!! AND PLEASE SHARE when you find something that works.

One thing Jillian Michael's says is NOT to drink alchol while losing weight, and when you are maintaining, to limit the consuption to no more than 4 drinks a week. Alcohol screws up your glycemic index and also cuases your brain to shut-off the "I'm full" signal. So...if you drink, try to give that up for a week or two, and see what happens. :smile:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    OMGosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! School lunches are the worst. I'd rather eat my hidden emercgency Snickers bar, than eat that CRAPOLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today I had a "Working Lunch" with some of my students that are helping me start and Energy patrol Team at our school. OMG...the food som eof them brought back from the cafeteria was just grease-ladden. ICK! BUT, I was also, silently, applaed at the lunches that soom eof my other students brought from home. have you seen what these kids are packing? All preservative junk food...a rare piece of fruit for some...and not much healthy eating in any.

Ohhhhh...and don't even get me started on those Lunchables!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:
  • mmackie
    Options
    I'm in! I teach special education and I just can't get enough energy on some days to even get off the couch after I get home...Plus, as many have said-there are ALWAYS goodies around and its hard not to graze all day.

P.S. Does anyone else find it hard to drink their 8 cups of H2O per day? I end up having to use the restroom all day long-and I can't just leave my kiddos whenever I want! :yawn:
  • happyhubbard
    Options
    I noticed that my sodium intake is kinda high, so I'm going to cut it down and see what happens. Good news though....I did lose 1 pound as of this morning!! Hooray for that! It was just the encouragement and motivation I needed.

137996.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • beauplr
    Options
    Staying hydrated was always a problem. Maybe that is why so many teachers end up with UTI. The only way I could get in even six glasses of water a day was to have a couple in the morning, beginning before work and make sure I used the restroom before my first class, at the beginning and end of my planning period, and after school. When you think about it, scheduled potty-breaks... a lot like prison.

Honestly, I know what you are dealing with. There were days when I would realize that I hadn't been to the bathroom all day!

At the old HS, when my room wasn't isolated from the other classrooms, we would keep an eye on eachothers classes... the teacher next door was great about watching my class and I would gladly return the favor. We could see into both rooms standing in the hallway. Of course, that's a bit easier with HS students.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Today was the soup luncheon at school (just we need is more food). I did great on eating soup, only a small scoop of creamy wild rice and a small one of chicken noodle - but bread with butter (which I never have at home) and about 5-6 different desserts! It was so good. I think I ate half my cals just in sweets. Good thing I have chicken taco meat in the crock pot at home.
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Today was the soup luncheon at school (just we need is more food). I did great on eating soup, only a small scoop of creamy wild rice and a small one of chicken noodle - but bread with butter (which I never have at home) and about 5-6 different desserts! It was so good. I think I ate half my cals just in sweets. Good thing I have chicken taco meat in the crock pot at home.

Oh man...those desserts get me everytime. They are so hard to resist...because they all look so good...and taste even BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made a really healthy spinach stuffed meatloaf tonight...I just made it up...and it was soooo good!, Lots of flavor!!! Made it out of ground turkey. :tongue:
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've done the water thing several times and I haven't been very successful with it. My dear husband has continually argued with the theory (he's an olkd tume wrestler). He tells me to only drink when I'm thirsty. He says that when your body is just a bit short on water, the water is taken from the muscles. This in turn burns more calories than it you drink it. HOWEVER it causes your muscles to be sore the next day. Which I guess is some proof to his theory. I've always brished him off, until he ordered Eric Berg's 7 Principles of fat burning- not sure if the title is exact. Eric Berg is the first researcher I've heard of who says, "Drink when you are thirsty, and only enough to fulfil your thirst". This time around, I'm counting 'liquids' but not forcing them. I'm down 15 pounds in just 4 weeks, so I hate to say it but my dear husband has been right for 17 years and I just ignored him! Mind you this is just my "trial" of his theory.! Do you count only cups of water, or of any liquid?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Interesting, as a health teacher the consensus (at least in most text I've read and classes I've been in) has been that by the time you have actual thirst that you are already in a state of dehydration. It is true that your body will pull moisture from your muscles... but that too is part of dehydration. Also, you will lose weight by lowering water consumption, less water weight to carry around. However, your muscles will also shrink, because they are also made up of water. You may not actually be losing fat, just water. Though, your body (organs, muscles, tissues, etc) may not be properly hydrated.

So in a sense your husband is right. You will weigh less by limiting water intake.
    BUT that doesn't mean the weight loss is fat.

:flowerforyou:

Also, no offense to any wrestlers (my fiance is one himself) but their "diet" practices have not exactly been something to look towards as a guide to healthy weight loss and maintenance.
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Speaking of water......have you ever noticed how much the body reatns water afger a hard workout? Then if you skip a day, it releases it again. I'm curious as to why the muscles do that?
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    He insists that drinking 'too much water' does no good, that it hinders the body's ability to deplete fat reserves. I'm still not sure I buy it, but I (after 17 years have decided to listen to him and drink water ONLY when I am thirsty, and just enough to quench my thirst.) I'd love to know the real answer here! My hubby has a BS in Science Education which includes a physics endorsement, and a BS in Math! He's pretty smart, and I used to believe EVERYTHING he told me! I'm just a little bit wiser today than I used to be, but I'm still pretty open minded!:smile:
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    I'm in too. I am nervous about Friday. Our Social Committee is planning on ordering pizza for everyone on Friday. I have been craving pizza. I live in Chicago, and they are ordering Rosati's pizza, probably deep dish.

This is going to be hard.
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    I'm in too. I am nervous about Friday. Our Social Committee is planning on ordering pizza for everyone on Friday. I have been craving pizza. I live in Chicago, and they are ordering Rosati's pizza, probably deep dish.

This is going to be hard.

Could you just have 1 piece and maybe bring a salad for the rest of your lunch?
  • Mickie17
    Options
    I am home sick today. Why is it that putting together Sub Plans is such a pain that we often go to work sick? If I had just stayed home last Friday, I probably wouldn't be feeling this way today. ANyone else go through this?
  • Smiley1010
    Options
    Yes Mickie! I have not been too sick lately, but even when I need a mental health day I can't take it because it's so much of a hassle to write sub plans! Very frustrating. :grumble:

I also just wanted to mention that the faculty room was full of tantalizing bake sale goodies left over from an event on Friday night (which I also went to, and avoided them that night), and I did not have one bite of any of the lovely treats! Hooray! :drinker:

I think this Friday will be hard too though... Valentine's Day party. :ohwell:
  • Mickie17
    Options
    Yes Mickie! I have not been too sick lately, but even when I need a mental health day I can't take it because it's so much of a hassle to write sub plans! Very frustrating. :grumble:

I also just wanted to mention that the faculty room was full of tantalizing bake sale goodies left over from an event on Friday night (which I also went to, and avoided them that night), and I did not have one bite of any of the lovely treats! Hooray! :drinker:

I think this Friday will be hard too though... Valentine's Day party. :ohwell:

Be proud of that will power and channel it like crazy Friday!!!!:wink: I have Friday off & bext Monday...so I thought I was getting out of having a party, but my students talked me into a little one on Thursday.

OMGosh...I've decided to go in to work tomorrow, ONLY because I don't want to do the plans tonight, nor go in in the morning to get it all ready and come home. I mean, by then, might as well stay and try to endure, right?