Popular movies that you just didn't like

Options

Replies

• LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Got another one...Passion of the Christ...have never & will never see this movie.

As a non-religious person, I have to say it was actually a VERY good movie. If you haven't seen it, you can't really say you hated it. I think I had my eyes closed through half of it, though. It was difficult to watch, especially in the context that they really did that to people back then.

I saw it as a reporter and had free tickets, but I brought my agnostic, pessimistic friend along and we both agreed that it was very well done.

For whatever reason, anything to do with the Crucifixion just makes me exceedingly uncomfortable. And I do mean anything...like the movie Stigmata...never seen it, never will. Just the scene from End of Days where they hang Arnold on the wall mimicking the whole thing...can't watch it. I became physically ill during the Crucifixion scenes in Jesus of Nazareth when we watched that in 4th grade. Even the Stations of the Cross at church during Easter are super difficult for me to endure. I haven't the foggiest idea why...but I just can't handle it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Got another one...Passion of the Christ...have never & will never see this movie.

As a non-religious person, I have to say it was actually a VERY good movie. If you haven't seen it, you can't really say you hated it. I think I had my eyes closed through half of it, though. It was difficult to watch, especially in the context that they really did that to people back then.

I saw it as a reporter and had free tickets, but I brought my agnostic, pessimistic friend along and we both agreed that it was very well done.

For whatever reason, anything to do with the Crucifixion just makes me exceedingly uncomfortable. And I do mean anything...like the movie Stigmata...never seen it, never will. Just the scene from End of Days where they hang Arnold on the wall mimicking the whole thing...can't watch it. I became physically ill during the Crucifixion scenes in Jesus of Nazareth when we watched that in 4th grade. Even the Stations of the Cross at church during Easter are super difficult for me to endure. I haven't the foggiest idea why...but I just can't handle it.

I can understand not wanting to watch for those reasons. But that doesn't mean you wouldn't like the movie if you saw it. Kind of like I thought Inglourious Basterds (or however he spelled it) was a fantastic movie in many ways, but I watched most of it through my fingers because it was so violent. I don't like the violence and gore, but if you look past that, it's artistically amazing and the story and acting were incredible.

I think there's a difference between not being able to take the subject matter and thinking it's a bad movie.

The Book Thief caused me to have nightmares and not sleep for an entire week, but it was a great book. I'll never read it again, though.
  • WendyKing1974
    WendyKing1974 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Matrix. My husband got mad at me because I fell asleep in the theater, lol.
    If it's the first film, I have to disagree. However, if it's the painfully obvious "let's milk it for two more" sequels, then I whole-heartedly agree,

I fell asleep during the first one. My husband owns all of them. I've never attempted all the boring sequels.
  • jwright71
    Options
    If it's the first film, I have to disagree. However, if it's the painfully obvious "let's milk it for two more" sequels, then I whole-heartedly agree,

You disagree with whether someone who is not you liked a movie?
    Um, yeah. Have you NEVER disagreed with someone? The first Matrix was actually a very good film, ground-breaking in fact. The sequels, however, were stinkers created solely for the purpose of exploiting a dollar.

It doesn't say anywhere in the subject that we can't disagree, does it? I guess I better check the fine print.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Um, yeah. Have you NEVER disagreed with someone? The first Matrix was actually a very good film, ground-breaking in fact. The sequels, however, were stinkers created solely for the purpose of exploiting a dollar.

It doesn't say anywhere in the subject that we can't disagree, does it? I guess I better check the fine print.

Yes, I've disagreed with people. But I've never told someone that he or she didn't hold an opinion that he or she expressed. You didn't disagree about whether the movie was good. You disagreed with whether the person actually liked it. I'd say if she says she didn't like it, she probably didn't ... Just sayin'.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I can understand not wanting to watch for those reasons. But that doesn't mean you wouldn't like the movie if you saw it. Kind of like I thought Inglourious Basterds (or however he spelled it) was a fantastic movie in many ways, but I watched most of it through my fingers because it was so violent. I don't like the violence and gore, but if you look past that, it's artistically amazing and the story and acting were incredible.

I think there's a difference between not being able to take the subject matter and thinking it's a bad movie.

The Book Thief caused me to have nightmares and not sleep for an entire week, but it was a great book. I'll never read it again, though.

I've heard it's a pretty phenomenal movie. I simply can't watch it. I would have to get up & leave if that movie was on. I would not be able to sit through it...
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I cannot STAND anything by Stanley Kubrick. I do not understand the appeal of or reverence for his work. Unfortunately, I seem to be the only person on the planet who thinks so, so I tend to get a lot of, "You just don't understand!" comments.
  • jwright71
    Options

Yes, I've disagreed with people. But I've never told someone that he or she didn't hold an opinion that he or she expressed. You didn't disagree about whether the movie was good. You disagreed with whether the person actually liked it. I'd say if she says she didn't like it, she probably didn't ... Just sayin'.
    Pot, meet kettle. So, it's okay for you to argue that people shouldn't have an opinion on a film if they haven't seen it, but I can't disagree with someone for disliking a film that they have seen? Where in my very brief response did I negate her answer? I didn't call her an infidel or damn her to hell. I simply said that I disagree with her over the first Matrix, but would completely agree about it's sequels. You're reading more into my response that was clearly expresssed.

Please, move on...
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

I fell asleep during the first one. My husband owns all of them. I've never attempted all the boring sequels.

I can totally understand why someone would find the Matrix boring, even if I personally enjoyed it. It's just not for everyone. It's kind of a super geek film. Haha.
  • jwright71
    Options
    I can totally understand why someone would find the Matrix boring, even if I personally enjoyed it. It's just not for everyone. It's kind of a super geek film. Haha.
    ^^ This ^^
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    One that I hate with every fiber of my body is Inception.

But, I like almost everything else. Matrix is dumb, but it has a cool factor associated with it.

I dislike strongly most romantic comedies. So, Julia Roberts, Meg Ryan, and Jennifer Aniston can jump off a bridge. Also, If I see another Hugh Grant movie, I'm going to seriously break something valuable and possibly upset furniture.
  • 69mustang
    69mustang Posts: 185
    Options
    Pulp Fiction
    Sweeny Todd
    Kill Bill
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    One that I hate with every fiber of my body is Inception.

But, I like almost everything else. Matrix is dumb, but it has a cool factor associated with it.

I dislike strongly most romantic comedies. So, Julia Roberts, Meg Ryan, and Jennifer Aniston can jump off a bridge. Also, If I see another Hugh Grant movie, I'm going to seriously break something valuable and possibly upset furniture.

What if Hugh Grant shows up in a Matrix like cool movie? What then? Heh.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Paranormal Activity - Serously? Saw it on TV this weekend. People actually paid money to see that crap??

There you go showing your age again, Scott! Just kidding....at least you watched it! There's no way I would even watch it on TV. My 19 year old tried to convince me that "older people would like the new one". Whatever.

I'd maybe like it if something actually happened at any given point in the whole film. Insiduous was terrible too
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I liked the first one, fell asleep during the second, and never bothered with the third.
  • moeviegrl
    moeviegrl Posts: 52
    Options
    Moulin Rogue. I usually love musicals but this was just...dumb and boring. I didn't even like the music in it except for maybe one or two songs. So not worth seeing ever again...I should have avoided it the first time.
    Chicago- same problems as above.
    Marley and Me- this one I was shocked by. I was told ahead of time that the dog dies (maybe that's why I didn't get into it and thus like it?) but yea...the whole time I was thinking...this isn't even cute. I feel nothing towards this dog. I mean...my dog is so much cooler! No emotional attachment to the dog or the people at all. Thus when the dog died, I didn't cry and really could have cared less...I was left thinking...huh, is this the ending? Cause...yeah...that was a waste of time. Oh...and I cry at everything! Hell I cry every time someone makes me watch Lion King and simba's dad dies and I've seen the movie 100 times!!
    Lord of the rings - good to take a nap to.
    Hot Tub Time Machine
    Bridesmaids
    The Hangover
    Twilight
    Fight Club- I just could not get into this movie...
    Indiana Jones Movies- Most of them that I have seen I have hated...couldn't get into any of them. Liked the disney ride though. That was cool!
    Wall-E -SOOO disappointing. I love disney movies or animated films in general. This was stupid. Not funny and really...not moving at all. That said, I have to understand it's a kids movie and I shouldn't have expected so much but I mean...I loved Toy Story and Lion King and I know they know how to make a good kids movie and still have a great story so WTF!?

I have more but I think that's enough hate for one day. :)
  • sreekripa2002
    sreekripa2002 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am Legend...
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options

Oh my god I know. We had to watch that and I still HEAR him at 26. Ugh.
  • daughter_of_a_hungry_ghost
    Options
    Titanic
    Up
    Paranormal Activity
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Twilight. I never could get into it, not to mention all the people who obsessed of team whoever and team whoever made me sick.