Skipping Breakfast

Replies

• Let' throw out all the studies and just use some good old common sense.

Shhh, you'll make Joejccva71 cry.

He almost made ME cry with that one. I hate when people say that sort of thing.

cartoon.gif
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Let' throw out all the studies and just use some good old common sense.

Common sense is HIGHLY overrated. Common sense tells me the Earth I'm walking on is flat. If we all had enough common sense to know what's right for our health most of us wouldn't be overweight now would we?

While I agree common sense doesn't always work. It certainly applies here or I wouldn't have stated it. When you don't eat you don't die for a while. Your body uses something for energy. Hmmmmm what could that be?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

Common sense is HIGHLY overrated. Common sense tells me the Earth I'm walking on is flat. If we all had enough common sense to know what's right for our health most of us wouldn't be overweight now would we?

I don't think common sense it overrated, it's just very hard to find.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member

While I agree common sense doesn't always work. It certainly applies here or I wouldn't have stated it. When you don't eat you don't die for a while. Your body uses something for energy. Hmmmmm what could that be?

Something. But will the body break down muscle or fat first?
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member

Lots of factors involved. Genetics, bodyfat, hormones, etc.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member

Shhh you.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member

Don't avoid the question. Answer it. Will the body break down muscle or fat first?
  • Mayo clinic: A healthy breakfast refuels your body and replenishes the glycogen stores that supply your muscles with immediate energy. I'm taking a weight mgmt course and breakfast (break the fast) is important as it does re-start your metabolism. It doens't STOP at night, but like a car w/ gas - you run out, or run low. For optimum performance, eating HEALTHY foods for breakfast re-fuels your muscles. They also point out that if you don't eat, you're more likely to be REALLY hungry mid-morning and eat whatever you can - which is usually not good for you.
    I was never a breakfast eater - if I ate at 8, I'd be starving by 10 and eat twice my normal foods. However, I eat a healthier breakfat, and drink water during the morning, and I am losing weight. So...for me, I'm heeding the advice of Mayo Clinic AND the LivingLean program which both advise eating a healthy breakfast to re-fuel my muscles.
  • If COMMON SENSE were so common - then why is it so FEW people have it??
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Mayo clinic: A healthy breakfast refuels your body and replenishes the glycogen stores that supply your muscles with immediate energy. I'm taking a weight mgmt course and breakfast (break the fast) is important as it does re-start your metabolism. It doens't STOP at night, but like a car w/ gas - you run out, or run low. For optimum performance, eating HEALTHY foods for breakfast re-fuels your muscles. They also point out that if you don't eat, you're more likely to be REALLY hungry mid-morning and eat whatever you can - which is usually not good for you.
    I was never a breakfast eater - if I ate at 8, I'd be starving by 10 and eat twice my normal foods. However, I eat a healthier breakfat, and drink water during the morning, and I am losing weight. So...for me, I'm heeding the advice of Mayo Clinic AND the LivingLean program which both advise eating a healthy breakfast to re-fuel my muscles.

::sigh::
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Mayo clinic: A healthy breakfast refuels your body and replenishes the glycogen stores that supply your muscles with immediate energy. I'm taking a weight mgmt course and breakfast (break the fast) is important as it does re-start your metabolism. It doens't STOP at night, but like a car w/ gas - you run out, or run low. For optimum performance, eating HEALTHY foods for breakfast re-fuels your muscles. They also point out that if you don't eat, you're more likely to be REALLY hungry mid-morning and eat whatever you can - which is usually not good for you.

It's not just them, Just about all medical sites, doctors and nutritionists recommend breakfast. And there have been studies showing it's value to back those recommendations up, mostly for the reasons stated. But that doesn't make it necessary. As a rule I follow medical recommendations, but for breakfast (and alcohol) I don't because I don't have a problem with any of the reasons for the recommendations. I'm not hungry first thing in the morning. If I get hungry before lunch I have no urge to splurge, I just have a healthy snack. And I have a desk job so I'm not burning a lot of calories in the morning.

You just have to find what works for your body and your schedule.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member

Don't avoid the question. Answer it. Will the body break down muscle or fat first?

He's waiting for common sense to magically provide the answer.
  • Technically as far as weight loss in concerned, I don't think it really matters.

However, I do think it is better for your body overall to seperate your meals out and eat smart, including having a yummy breakfast.

I started eating breakfast every day about 5 months ago and I don't think I could manage without it now, lol. I love having breakfast now :) Yum! However, if it was sleeping vs. breakfast... I LOVE my sleep!

GL!
  • I skip breakfast all the time and it actually helps me stay on track. When I go have breakfast I try to stay away from sugary cereals and carbs because they throw me in a tailspin.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Its not bad to skip breakfast :] Has no effect on you metabolic rate

Very true
  • fireman300
    fireman300 Posts: 38 Member
    Normally I dont jump in on these wars but...I went back and reread the posted question again. Paraphrasing ithe question ..what I read is>>>> Do I have to wake up and eat breakfast or is it ok to sleep in? How much energy or "metabolism boost" does a body thats sleeping need in the first place. Believe me I am far from an expert, but why does the first meal of the day have to be "breakfast"? If you wake up at say 6 in the morning and eat "breakfast" at 8 am, isnt that the same as waking up at 10 am and eating lunch at noon? Eat when your hungy (but stay in your calorie rang), drink when your thirsty (but make sure you get your water requirements for the day) and sleep when your tired. Our body will tell us what it needs if we listen to it.

Our bodies are all different, if it works for you then go with it. If it doesnt work for you then go with plan B or plan C or whatever it takes.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    The way I got ripped was by not skipping breakfast(because I just personally need food) but instead having protein in the form of a low-carb shake or bacon and eggs.

The point is eating 6 times a day doesn't give you a metabolism boost, it doesn't really matter when you have your calories. I just personally feel safe having high protein morning and through the day and then having my carbs at night. I personally feel I can burn more fat this way and save my muscles.

It has worked wonderfully too.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Are you familiar with leangains protocol/Martin Berhkan..
    [...]
    I would never suggest Intermittent Fasting for everyone as it SEEMS to be something that people either love, or can't do.

Thank you Sidesteal!
    I was wondering when someone was going to mention Leangains, IF, or ESE.
    I have done both Berkhan's Leangains style and the full 24 ESE and love it.
    16/8 is easier though!

The point the smart people on this thread are trying to make:
    Meal timing does not make a lick of difference to your "metabolism", but you may feel better eating breakfast, or you may feel better fasting half the day...whatever... eat to suit your lifestyle and to fuel your workouts properly, not based on a clock because you think you "should" eat at a certain time.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    let's say you eat 1 ginormous meal a day vs breaking it up into 3. As far as weight loss/metabolism it might be a wash but how would one just eat one meal (no matter how large that one meal is)?
    With a fork?

This made me LMAO. Love it.

I didn't quite understand the question either... How would you eat one meal a day?
    You just don't eat until later in the day, then eat a big meal and go to bed. It's called Intermittent Fasting, AKA EatStopEat.
    (and yes, with a fork.)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    let's say you eat 1 ginormous meal a day vs breaking it up into 3. As far as weight loss/metabolism it might be a wash but how would one just eat one meal (no matter how large that one meal is)?
    With a fork?

This made me LMAO. Love it.

I didn't quite understand the question either... How would you eat one meal a day?
    You just don't eat until later in the day, then eat a big meal and go to bed. It's called Intermittent Fasting, AKA EatStopEat.
    (and yes, with a fork.)

If I didn't eat my one meal until later in the day (ie.. dinner), my work and workout performance would suffer. I'm pretty sure of that. I've tried to workout when I've skipped lunch and my lifts and cardio suffered noticably.