You have another ________ coming

Options

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I think this thread is a MOO point
    Not as bad as the time a user called it a mute point.
    :huh:
    721400-remote-control-and-hand-a-over-white-background.jpg
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    It's "You have another think coming. Because if the child thinks (as in has a thought) he/she is going to do something and the parent says the child is not going to do whatever he/she wanted to do then it's logical the child would have another think (as in thought) coming.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I think this thread is a MOO point
    Not as bad as the time a user called it a mute point.
    :huh:
    so.... they didn't say anything? :wink:
    Nope. That's why they had to point.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    They are both correct. This is from Wikipedia (read the last line):

"You've Got Another Thing Comin'" is a song by British heavy metal band Judas Priest. It was originally released on their 1982 album Screaming for Vengeance and released as a single later that year. In May 2006, VH1 ranked it fifth on their list of the 40 Greatest Metal Songs.

The song reached #67 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts, making it Judas Priest's only charting song in the United States.

The song's title is an eggcorn idiom, in use since at least 1919, from the original expression, "You've got another think coming," published as early as 1898.

Well that's just sad. Screaming for Vengeance is a better song IMHO.

And anything off British Steel is far superior.

*sigh*
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    Is it.....

piss and vigor

or

piss and vinegar
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It's "You have another think coming. Because if the child thinks (as in has a thought) he/she is going to do something and the parent says the child is not going to do whatever he/she wanted to do then it's logical the child would have another think (as in thought) coming.
    Sounds like you've got another thing comin'.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Is it.....

piss and vigor

or

piss and vinegar

Neither. It's "piss in vinegar." :wink:
  • jamielr84
    Options
    Me thinks it's thing.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    They are both correct. This is from Wikipedia (read the last line):

"You've Got Another Thing Comin'" is a song by British heavy metal band Judas Priest. It was originally released on their 1982 album Screaming for Vengeance and released as a single later that year. In May 2006, VH1 ranked it fifth on their list of the 40 Greatest Metal Songs.

The song reached #67 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts, making it Judas Priest's only charting song in the United States.

The song's title is an eggcorn idiom, in use since at least 1919, from the original expression, "You've got another think coming," published as early as 1898.

Well that's just sad. Screaming for Vengeance is a better song IMHO.

And anything off British Steel is far superior.

*sigh*

nope - it's Turbo Lover or nothing! :smokin:

My favorite is one of their older songs - Victim of Changes. Epic.
  • mommared53
    Options
    Is it.....

piss and vigor

or

piss and vinegar

(sigh) vinegar.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Are you ****ing kidding me??? The blank is THING, and if I thought this was worthy of a real conversation, I'd explain to you why "think" makes no ****ing sense whatsoever!
  • darbym7
    Options
    ive always said 'you have another THING coming' ive never heard anyone use think
  • mommared53
    Options
    Ok, I'll present a scenario phrased two different ways..

Scenario 1. Child says, "I think I will go to the park before dinner." Parent says, "If you think you're going to the park before dinner, you've got another think coming."

Scenario 2. Child says, I think I will go to the park before dinner." Parent says, "You need to think again, because you're not going to the park before dinner."

It's the same meaning but just said differently. How in the world does that not make sense? How in the world does saying "You need to thing again." make sense? :huh:
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Its funny how annoyed people are getting.
    I always assumed it was 'thing'. But now that I have googled it I think it's think.

The one that annoys me...
    "I could care less" - that means you care.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll present a scenario phrased two different ways..

Scenario 1. Child says, "I think I will go to the park before dinner." Parent says, "If you think you're going to the park before dinner, you've got another think coming."

Scenario 2. Child says, I think I will go to the park before dinner." Parent says, "You need to think again, because you're not going to the park before dinner."

It's the same meaning but just said differently. How in the world does that not make sense? How in the world does saying "You need to thing again." make sense? :huh:

In Scenario 1, Mom was just being snarky and playing with the word. You cannot HAVE another think because it is a verb. In order to have another of something it has to be a noun. You can have another thought and/or another thing, but you cannot have another think. Telling someone to think again may have the same implied meaning, but it is not the same thinK.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    now that my head has stopped spinning!!

thing... always heard it as "thing"
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I've got another 700 calories coming <<<<<<looking forward to Friday night supper.

or is it Friday night DINNER? :wink: