You have another ________ coming

Options
12346»

Replies

• chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you *think* that's the phrase ... you've got another *thing* coming :wink:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's "thing"! "Think" isn't a noun plus I've always heard it pronounced with a "g".
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll present a scenario phrased two different ways..

Scenario 1. Child says, "I think I will go to the park before dinner." Parent says, "If you think you're going to the park before dinner, you've got another think coming."

Scenario 2. Child says, I think I will go to the park before dinner." Parent says, "You need to think again, because you're not going to the park before dinner."

It's the same meaning but just said differently. How in the world does that not make sense? How in the world does saying "You need to thing again." make sense? :huh:

In Scenario 1, Mom was just being snarky and playing with the word. You cannot HAVE another think because it is a verb. In order to have another of something it has to be a noun. You can have another thought and/or another thing, but you cannot have another think. Telling someone to think again may have the same implied meaning, but it is not the same thinK.

It may be bad grammar but it's still "you've got another think coming." The first part of the sentence states "if you think", therefore, saying "you've got another think coming" would be the same as saying "you need to think again" or "you need to rethink" about going to the park.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Its funny how annoyed people are getting.
    I always assumed it was 'thing'. But now that I have googled it I think it's think.

The one that annoys me...
    "I could care less" - that means you care.

I believe this helps as a visual for people who still don't get it. :laugh:
    caring.png
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I always assumed it was 'thing'. But now that I have googled it I think it's think.

caring.png

Excellent!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

caring.png
    It's funny how people completely change the meaning of sentence or phrase because they're lazy with pronunciation.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    How about "You've got a tough road to hoe" vs "You've got a tough row to hoe"

Regardless of which you choose, irregardless is not a word. :bigsmile:
  • paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    fteale. I am not an idiot. I have been saying THINK all my life and so did my family before me. Judas Priest are hardly the best scholars of English. It's one thing saying it makes no sense, it's entirely another to insult those whose opinions differ.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Definitely "think".
  • sryan8408
    Options
    The funniest part is that we are both right. "You've got another think coming" is an idiom and an intentional gramatical joke originated in the 1919s and "You've got another thing coming." is the grammatical way of saying the sentence and was a Judas Priest song :). I will never say "think though." In the midwest we use thing.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    its for sure "thing"

, think just sounds mental to be used in that sentance