• DrMan
    DrMan Posts: 86
    Options
    Definitely not.

Nothing but bad things associated with that vaccine. and I am very pro vax

What bad things?
  • perceptualobfuscator
    Options
    Absolutely, yes. This is a basic, life-saving preventative measure. Not getting it when you have to opportunity to do otherwise is folly.

My entire family is medical, and I have not heard anything bad about this vaccine, so I have no idea where people are getting that idea from. The objections I've ever heard about it were from crazy American insurance companies and super religious crazy people. There is no medical reason to avoid it, as far as I'm aware. Do feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I didn't take it when I had the chance...and I remember reading that there are negative long term effects from this vaccine....however I am being honest in saying that I shrugged these articles off cuz I never took it myself and wish I didn't cuz then I would be able to tell you what those effects I read about were. LOL Sorry!!

Just do as much research on it as you can before making your decision!!! You will make the right decision whether it be yes or no!! :)
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. I don't have daughters yet but I absolutely will not have my daughters get it. I have my reasons...they are medically backed. I am not going to elaborate. :smile:
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    what is so bad about it? and pretty sure everything has side effects, you have to weigh the pros and cons....
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    I got it and I didnt have any side effects.
  • JulieSD
    Options
    Absolutely not. I don't have daughters yet but I absolutely will not have my daughters get it. I have my reasons...they are medically backed. I am not going to elaborate. :smile:

this is a totally useless response.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Nope. I didn't get it and I don't believe any daughter of mine will get it either.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Nope. I was diagnosed with a high-risk strain of HPV in 2003, too. I have to get paps and colposcopies all the time (although my HPV tests come back as negative now). My doc suggested I get the vaccine and when I got the first shot, I passed out and had a tennis ball size welt on my arm for more than three months. I have tingling/numb feelings in my left arm now, and I still have pain in the injection site. I never got the second or third shots, either.

I'll teach my daughter how to have safe sex so that she may protect herself. The reaction I had (and still have) was absolutely awful.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

i was just going to say the same thing
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I got the Gardasil shot series and still got HPV cervical cancer. So I'm indifferent.

Didn't the shot only come out something like 4 years ago?

Also- yes. I have my shots.
  • DrMan
    DrMan Posts: 86
    Options

To each his own!!! That is why you have a choice...I agree that is should not be mandated but in Texas they had an OPT OUT and I agree with that!!! Just my 2 cents is all..It's all a matter of choice.

pros and cons yes...again Cancer Sucks!!!
  • JulieSD
    Options
    why?????

why are you people saying no? what is your reasoning? is the fear of cancer less concerning than possible side effects? Most everything in life has side effects.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    After having a full hysterectomy at the age of 30 due to cervical cancer from HPV I say yes. I plan to have my boys vaccinated as well.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that. Cancer has affected my family and I many times; it's a horrible experience.

My personal opinion is that I don't trust that vaccines are as effective or as thoroughly tested as the "experts" lead you to believe.
    If I believed vaccines were > 80% effective and completely safe over the long run, then it's a no brainer, get the vaccine (but I guess you really have to decide for yourself what you believe).
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i would like to hear specifics as to the bad things/horrible side effects that have made people decide no. might just change my mind
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    "Nope. I was diagnosed with a high-risk strain of HPV in 2003, too. I have to get paps and colposcopies all the time (although my HPV tests come back as negative now). My doc suggested I get the vaccine and when I got the first shot, I passed out and had a tennis ball size welt on my arm for more than three months. I have tingling/numb feelings in my left arm now, and I still have pain in the injection site. I never got the second or third shots, either.

I'll teach my daughter how to have safe sex so that she may protect herself. The reaction I had (and still have) was absolutely awful. "

I'm pretty sure the vaccine can't help guard you against something you already have....
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Definately, both men and women should get the vaccine! The post marketing data shows that there is no discernable link between the serious adverse reactions and the vaccine. A majority of confirmed cases of those with adverse reactions had prior risk factors for those events. There also have been reports of guillain barre, however the incidence is not higher than would be expected for the population, and researchers do not attribute it to the vaccine. As for concerning your children, it could bea risk/benefit...but it's definately not fun to get cancer. I'd much rather have an injection site reaction
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    why?????

why are you people saying no? what is your reasoning? is the fear of cancer less concerning than possible side effects? Most everything in life has side effects.

After I had my negative reaction (which, again, continues to this day), I learned of the high rate of neurological and immune reactions to Gardasil. I then chose not to continue the series. To this day, I deeply, deeply regret the first one, which I feel was forced on me a bit.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/08/08/Hundreds-of-Thousands-of-Reactions-to-Gardasil-Is-Your-Child-Next.aspx

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/63586.php
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

To each his own!!! That is why you have a choice...I agree that is should not be mandated but in Texas they had an OPT OUT and I agree with that!!! Just my 2 cents is all..It's all a matter of choice.

pros and cons yes...again Cancer Sucks!!!

Well I think she was saying the response was useless as in "I have my reasons medically backed. I am not going to elaborate"
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I got the Gardasil shot series and still got HPV cervical cancer. So I'm indifferent.

Didn't the shot only come out something like 4 years ago?

Also- yes. I have my shots.

Yes, I got the shots starting in Oct 2008 and the next 2 whenever I was to get them. Was diagnosed with cervical cancer this past August. Had surgery for it Oct 3.