Those with daughter: HPV Vaccination

Options

Replies

• satikat
    Options
    If I was young enough, I would get it. So many people think the shot is about preventing an STD- it's really about trying to prevent or diminish the chance of cancer.

HPV can also be spread through other intimate contact including oral sex, *kitten* (mutual and single) and frottage. I dated a guy with a couple warts on his finger (gross, I know, but not nasty, right?) and my next GYN visit I had an abnormal pap and needed to have a colposcopy (sp?). The doc said that it could have come from him touching me or me touching him then touching myself. From warts on fingers. *sigh* (I think this was clear enough without being graphic.)

As for side effects, my last tetanus shot almost put me in the hospital. I had a terrible, severe allergic reaction. Unexpected and rare- I've had the tetanus boosters before. Anyone can have a reaction, but what we're vaccinating against is so very important.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    "Nope. I was diagnosed with a high-risk strain of HPV in 2003, too. I have to get paps and colposcopies all the time (although my HPV tests come back as negative now). My doc suggested I get the vaccine and when I got the first shot, I passed out and had a tennis ball size welt on my arm for more than three months. I have tingling/numb feelings in my left arm now, and I still have pain in the injection site. I never got the second or third shots, either.

I'll teach my daughter how to have safe sex so that she may protect herself. The reaction I had (and still have) was absolutely awful. "

I'm pretty sure the vaccine can't help guard you against something you already have....

Untrue. In fact, I was skeptical to receive the vaccine after already being diagnosed, but was informed by my doc that there are something like 37 strains that Gardasil protects against when I only had one. So, in theory, it was protecting me from the other 36 strains.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    After having a full hysterectomy at the age of 30 due to cervical cancer from HPV I say yes. I plan to have my boys vaccinated as well.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that. Cancer has affected my family and I many times; it's a horrible experience.

My personal opinion is that I don't trust that vaccines are as effective or as thoroughly tested as the "experts" lead you to believe.
    If I believed vaccines were > 80% effective and completely safe over the long run, then it's a no brainer, get the vaccine (but I guess you really have to decide for yourself what you believe).

Thank you! I appreciate your answer :)
  • dragonfly1120
    dragonfly1120 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaccines/hpv/gardasil.html

Here is a link to the CDC discussing the reported minor reactions vs. serious reactions and deaths. Considering the number of vaccines that have been administered the serious/ death numbers are very low. Compare them to other vaccines we have been giving our children for years. I'm sure you will find similar reports on any vaccine you investigate. There are always going to be people with adverse reactions to vaccines for various reasons. What we have to look at is the overall result. Does the positive outweigh the negative? What it all comes down to is the parent's decision for children and each adults own decision. You should never feel pressured into getting your child vaccinated. Read the material and be sure. For those vaccines required for school...if you don't want to get your child immunized, check with your state on Reason of Conscience Exemptions.

Painful lumps on the arm are not necessarily because of the vaccine itself, but more likely due to poor administration of the vaccine. I can't count the number of vaccine sites I've seen that were given in the wrong spot. And yes, nerve damage can result. My own child was given a vaccine very close to the elbow. I nearly exploded I was so angry.
  • DrMan
    DrMan Posts: 86
    Options
    It was completely useless...I agree!!!
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The truth is that the small group of people who have the adverse effects do suffer tremendously. You have to keep in mind though that that group is statistically insignificant given that it is much less than 1% of the total number vaccinated. Like I said earlier, the link between those who experience the severe adverse effects will be discovered and then patients will be able to be tested for risk before receiving the vaccination.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I got the Gardasil shot series and still got HPV cervical cancer. So I'm indifferent.

Not to assume anything, but if you got a certain strain of HPV before you got the shot, it doesn't cure your body of that strain.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    This is so scary.
  • dragonfly1120
    Options
    "Nope. I was diagnosed with a high-risk strain of HPV in 2003, too. I have to get paps and colposcopies all the time (although my HPV tests come back as negative now). My doc suggested I get the vaccine and when I got the first shot, I passed out and had a tennis ball size welt on my arm for more than three months. I have tingling/numb feelings in my left arm now, and I still have pain in the injection site. I never got the second or third shots, either.

I'll teach my daughter how to have safe sex so that she may protect herself. The reaction I had (and still have) was absolutely awful. "

I'm pretty sure the vaccine can't help guard you against something you already have....

Untrue. In fact, I was skeptical to receive the vaccine after already being diagnosed, but was informed by my doc that there are something like 37 strains that Gardasil protects against when I only had one. So, in theory, it was protecting me from the other 36 strains.

Please teach your daughter that the only safe sex is abstinence. Total abstinence. That's intercourse, outercourse, and round-about-course. And when she decides to become sexually active, to make sure her partner is safe by being tested. That is the only safe way to prevent her from being exposed. Those who got the vaccine and still came out positive may have already been exposed before the vaccine, or had a strain that the vaccine didn't cover.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I got the Gardasil shot series and still got HPV cervical cancer. So I'm indifferent.

Not to assume anything, but if you got a certain strain of HPV before you got the shot, it doesn't cure your body of that strain.

I was a virgin when I got the shots.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Here's a great article to research if interested in safety data.

Pomfret, T. C., Gagnon Jr, J. M. and Gilchrist, A. T. (2011), Quadrivalent human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine: a review of safety, efficacy, and pharmacoeconomics. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, 36: 1–9. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2710.2009.01150.x

Non serious adverse reactions include..."Fainting, syncope, pain and swelling at the injection site, headache, nausea and fever" And composed 94% of the documented adverse events.

Serious events include guillain barre syndrome, blood clots, allergic shock, nervous system damage and death.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options

Untrue. Gardasil protects against FOUR strings. There are around 30 different strings. My doctor and I went ALL over all of this within the past 3 months.

www.gardasil.com
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options

Untrue. Gardasil protects against FOUR strings. There are around 30 different strings. My doctor and I went ALL over all of this within the past 3 months.

Maybe I misunderstood. Maybe he said there are 30 strains but only 4 are high risk and the vaccine protects against 4. Even if it protected against two, though, a person with one strain could still potentially benefit from being vaccinated against the other. Either way, getting the vaccine after being diagnosed with any one strain would still be beneficial.
  • MrsSpratt
    MrsSpratt Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have reservations about this vaccine. From the beginning, it seemed like more of a money-making proposition than anything else.

Plus, the effectiveness has been questioned.

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/canada/story.html?id=b31de03e-c706-48a8-a89a-8f3f2215f871

My kids are still very young, but if they were the appropriate age right now, I would need to do a lot of research before making a decision.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've gotten all three shots of the series and while nothing bad happened to me personally, I wish I would have researched it better. It only protects you against four of the strains of HPV, and there are numerous others you aren't protected against. You still have a chance of getting infected with one of those other strains of the virus.

Honestly, it is like any other vaccine. There are risks associated with it, and it is horrible what has happened to many people who have gotten the vaccine. To some, the benefits outweigh the risks, and that's okay.
  • dragonfly1120
    Options
    More information from the CDC site:

How common are the health problems caused by HPV?
    HPV is the main cause of cervical cancer in women. There are about 11,000 new cervical cancer cases each year in the United States. Cervical cancer causes about 4,000 deaths in women each year in the United States.

About 1 in 100 sexually active adults in the United States have genital warts at any one time.

What HPV vaccines are available in the United States?
    Two HPV vaccines are licensed by the FDA and recommended by CDC. These vaccines are Cervarix (made by GlaxoSmithKline) and Gardasil (made by Merck).

How are the two HPV vaccines similar?
    Both vaccines are very effective against HPV types 16 and 18, which cause most cervical cancers. So both vaccines prevent cervical cancer in women.
    Both vaccines are very safe.
    Both vaccines are made with very small parts of the human papillomavirus (HPV) that cannot cause infection.
    Both vaccines are given as shots and require 3 doses.
    How are the two HPV vaccines different?
    Only one of the vaccines (Gardasil) protects against HPV types 6 and 11 the types that cause most genital warts in females and males.
    Only one of the vaccines (Gardasil) has been tested and licensed for use in males.
    Only one of the vaccines (Gardasil) has been tested and shown to protect against cancers of the vulva, vagina, and *kitten*.
    The vaccines have different adjuvants—a substance that is added to the vaccine to increase the body's immune response.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Well, any long-term effects won't be known for decades; Gardisil only protects against 4 strains, so there is still the possibility of being infected with others; about 95% of HPV infections clear up on their own (so to require all girls to get the vaccine seems a little crazy); annual pap smears should still be done and are still considered the best way to catch cancers early; the effects are believed to last about five years (though some scientists think 10) - so if an 11 or 12 year old is vaccinated, they may no longer be protected by the time they first start having sex; and lastly - boys can get the shots, too, so no reason to focus only on young women just because it *might* protect them - if you believe in the vaccinations, then boys should be required to get them just as girls should be. I wouldn't get it, and I wouldn't have a daughter, if I had one, get it either, and I don't think it should become a required vaccination - but you should be able to opt out of any vaccination for public schools.

However, ultimately it's a very personal choice and as with any medical decision should be thoroughly researched before making such a decision. Don't rely on medical advice or friendly advice alone, do your own research and then decide.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I have two daughters. They are both too young for it anyway but if I had to choose yes or no at this point it would be no.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    On the fence about it, two daughters.
    Only reason I'm on the fence is the side affects, a lady I work with has a teenage daughter that had a bad reaction.
    Good topic and good reading, thanks.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    why?????

why are you people saying no? what is your reasoning? is the fear of cancer less concerning than possible side effects? Most everything in life has side effects.

I didn't get it myself because I've been with the same person for 11 years and neither of us have slept or been around anyone else in a sexual way. It just seems like a money making tactic and yes I'm one of those people that doesn't believe that all vac's that are pushed on people are a necessity.