Those with daughter: HPV Vaccination

Options

Replies

• trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i think im pretty informed on the subject, my sister is an ob/gyn and weve discussed it because we both have daughters. i am for it and so is she, the negative side effects were always on the younger, i dont recommend it until the kids are 13 or older. mine got it at 15.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I got the Gardasil shot series and still got HPV cervical cancer. So I'm indifferent.

Not to assume anything, but if you got a certain strain of HPV before you got the shot, it doesn't cure your body of that strain.

True, it doesn't work if you already have it...as well:

"the vaccine only covers *some* high-risk types of HPV".
    "About 30% of cervical cancers will not be prevented by the vaccines."
    "...most women infected with genital HPV will not have complications from the virus"
    The vaccine was approved for use in the US five years ago for women, and only two years ago for males.
    Some people have had negative responses to the vaccine.

When I see/hear statements like this, I can't help but consider them when deciding if my children or I should receive a vaccination. What I'm hearing is that the vaccine is only going to help for some of the risks, against an infection that most women have no negative effects from, where some people have had negative experiences from the vaccine, and with only a few years of real usage data.

As much as the idea of vanquishing the virus/risks appeals to me, I'm not confident in the effectiveness/safety, and I don't like feeling like my children are being science experiments. How do we know what the effects will be in 10/20/30 years from now? How do we know that it won't decrease instances of cancer, yet increase some other horrible experience for the person?

As I said earlier, you need to take in all the information that is available to you and decide for yourself. Once you have made that decision, don't let other people's opinion make you feel bad; it's *your* decision, and you are doing what you believe is the best thing for your child (and there are arguments for both sides).
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I'm actually happy I've got atleast 7 years to research this and hope for more studies.

At this point I still say yes.
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    She is free to do what she wants, but if my choice I say NO. Vaccinations should only be done on consenting adults. We are supporting a greedy drug industry that doesn't care. Profits before people is their motto.
  • katyclev
    katyclev Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well, any long-term effects won't be known for decades; Gardisil only protects against 4 strains, so there is still the possibility of being infected with others; about 95% of HPV infections clear up on their own (so to require all girls to get the vaccine seems a little crazy); annual pap smears should still be done and are still considered the best way to catch cancers early; the effects are believed to last about five years (though some scientists think 10) - so if an 11 or 12 year old is vaccinated, they may no longer be protected by the time they first start having sex; and lastly - boys can get the shots, too, so no reason to focus only on young women just because it *might* protect them - if you believe in the vaccinations, then boys should be required to get them just as girls should be. I wouldn't get it, and I wouldn't have a daughter, if I had one, get it either, and I don't think it should become a required vaccination - but you should be able to opt out of any vaccination for public schools.

However, ultimately it's a very personal choice and as with any medical decision should be thoroughly researched before making such a decision. Don't rely on medical advice or friendly advice alone, do your own research and then decide.

These are my exact thoughts as well. Not to mention a ton of girls dying FROM the shot that is supposed to prevent cancer and death.

I also agree that its a personal choice. Just like the H1N1 shot was a choice
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    She is free to do what she wants, but if my choice I say NO. Vaccinations should only be done on consenting adults. We are supporting a greedy drug industry that doesn't care. Profits before people is their motto.

Yes, because the desire to prevent cancer is soooooo greedy. There is a lot of greed in the world, yes, and the pharmaceutical world is not immune to it, but not every drug manufactured is done so out of greed. There is a lot of good being done by some of these pharmaceutical companies.

Cheers to Edward Jenner!
  • brittmiles07
    Options
    "Reports of side effects and complications following vaccination are collected by the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), which is managed by the FDA and the CDC. The reports are unconfirmed and not necessarily related to the vaccine. In a 2009 review of the data, the agencies reported that more than 23 million doses of Gardasil were distributed between 2006 and 2008, and 12,424 reports had been filed. Most of those were not serious and involved pain and redness at the injection site, dizziness, nausea, headaches and fainting.

But 6 percent of the reports were serious. They included blood clots and Guillain-Barré syndrome, a disorder that causes muscle weakness and tingling that can progress to paralysis. There were also 32 reported deaths, but they had no common pattern that would suggest they were caused by the vaccine. In most of the cases that had medical documentation, the deaths were linked to other factors, such as diabetes, viral illness, illicit drug use and heart failure."
  • TheGlen
    Options
    Yes, because the desire to prevent cancer is soooooo greedy. There is a lot of greed in the world, yes, and the pharmaceutical world is not immune to it, but not every drug manufactured is done so out of greed. There is a lot of good being done by some of these pharmaceutical companies.

Cheers to Edward Jenner!

This all comes down to beliefs again. If you believe that their true desire is to "prevent cancer", then yes, they are being very noble and not greedy at all.

Would they have done it if they weren't going to make a bunch of cash? I don't know, maybe...I don't believe so though. When they start cutting into their profits to provide all the "good" they've been doing to countries and people that can't afford full price, then maybe I'll believe their hearts are really in the right place.
  • brittmiles07
    Options

Meanwhile, we've basically eradicated polio, smallpox, and other similar diseases in America by vaccinating against them. I'm grateful to my parents for being responsible enough to get me vaccinated as per the CDC's recommended schedule. I'm following their schedule for my two daughters as well. And when the time comes for them to get the HPV vaccine, as long as it's still proven safe and effective, they'll be receiving it.

Think of how many more children would have died from smallpox if their parents had refused to vaccinate. The diseases that we vaccinate against don't sit back and wait until someone hits 18 before they attack.
  • satikat
    Options

Meanwhile, we've basically eradicated polio, smallpox, and other similar diseases in America by vaccinating against them. I'm grateful to my parents for being responsible enough to get me vaccinated as per the CDC's recommended schedule. I'm following their schedule for my two daughters as well. And when the time comes for them to get the HPV vaccine, as long as it's still proven safe and effective, they'll be receiving it.

Think of how many more children would have died from smallpox if their parents had refused to vaccinate. The diseases that we vaccinate against don't sit back and wait until someone hits 18 before they attack.

and look at the recurrence of whooping cough- in the years since parents have been choosing not to vaccinate, it's had huge resurgence. We went from having virtually eradicated the disease to it being front page news!

vaccinations are not evil, but just like with anything else there are side effects- some fatal, some not.
  • laurenrenee1025
    Options
    Yes for me! I have had them all myself. I know many people with HPV, including my sister who has had to have cancerous cells burned out. I have many years to be sure it safely works as my daughter is not even one, but I seem ok from mine and that was years ago.
  • TheGlen
    Options

While vaccinating often gets all the credit for eradicating many diseases, people often forget all the advances in plumbing/water purification, waste management, hygiene products, etc, and the role they have played.

Your parents did what they believed was the right thing to do, and that's all that can be expected of parents. What bothers me about your statement is claiming that they were "responsible enough" to get you vaccinated; implying that those who didn't get their children vaccinated are being irresponsible. Just because people don't agree with your belief, does not make them irresponsible.

By "...as long as it's still proven safe and effective...", did you mean, "*IF* it has been proven safe and effective, they's be receiving it."?
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options

and look at the recurrence of whooping cough- in the years since parents have been choosing not to vaccinate, it's had huge resurgence. We went from having virtually eradicated the disease to it being front page news!

vaccinations are not evil, but just like with anything else there are side effects- some fatal, some not.

^^ This.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I am against vaccinations.

Edit: for the most part.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I am completely against stupidity.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I would like to thank those who informed me this was available for my son as well.

I've got a long time to watch this and do research.
  • argharna
    Options
    Now that I know boys can get the vaccin as well I'll be having all 7 of my kids get it. So far just the 2 oldest girls have gotten it.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I had the vaccination when it first came out - it was free in Australia for a certain time for certain ages. I was not sexually active at the time, and didn't become sexually active for about 3 years afterwards.

I have since been diagnosed with HPV, and have had a couple of colposcopies, and have to have more frequent Pap Smears to make sure it's all under control.

At my most recent GP visit, he mentioned that the Gardisil 'mustn't have worked' for me, as I still managed to contract HPV.

I would still probably vaccinate my daughters when I have them. I didn't have any adverse reactions at the time, and though I still managed to contract HPV, I would do anything that makes my kids chances of getting sick lower.
  • brittmiles07
    Options

While vaccinating often gets all the credit for eradicating many diseases, people often forget all the advances in plumbing/water purification, waste management, hygiene products, etc, and the role they have played.

Your parents did what they believed was the right thing to do, and that's all that can be expected of parents. What bothers me about your statement is claiming that they were "responsible enough" to get you vaccinated; implying that those who didn't get their children vaccinated are being irresponsible. Just because people don't agree with your belief, does not make them irresponsible.

By "...as long as it's still proven safe and effective...", did you mean, "*IF* it has been proven safe and effective, they's be receiving it."?

There has not yet been any evidence that the vaccine ISN'T safe and/or effective. People have died after receiving it, but they had co-morbidities such as diabetes, heart disease, etc. For the average healthy individual, the risk of HPV and possible cervical cancer is much, much higher than the risk of possible serious side effects. As for the lesser side effects, every form of vaccine or medication has SOME side effects. It doesn't mean it's likely to happen or that it will occur in every instance. The rigorous testing the FDA does before approving a vaccine wouldn't allow a seriously dangerous vaccine loose on our children. I'm a nurse, and I have faith in the FDA to help protect my children.

And yes, I do think parents who choose not to vaccinate (especially the vaccines that have been around for decades, like pertussis, polio, etc) are irresponsible. Not only are they putting THEIR children at risk, they're also putting other children at risk who are too young to receive the vaccine or who haven't completed the series.

I have a colleague who recently experienced a needle stick incident with a patient who has hepatitis B. The colleague is 8 months pregnant. She received the hep B vaccine in nursing school. I think it was responsible of her to get it, based on the nature of our job, and look how much more stress and anxiety she'd be dealing with if she wasn't immune to the virus.

And yes, I know advances in plumbing, etc. contributed, but I know someone who's barely in her 50s who had a severe case of polio when she was a child and has suffered from mobility issues her entire life since. I'm thinking 40-50 years ago, we had sewer systems, etc., so the polio vaccine would have been the most beneficial prevention for her.
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    I've had the vaccination (all 3 injections) when I was 15. It's done me no harm in the three years since I had it and it was given to every girl in my school year. I had no problems with having it, nor did my mum or my step dad.