Pet names as in honey, babe, etc

Options
bmqbonnie
bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
Thoughts? I always thought they were freaking weird. My skin's always kind of crawled when I heard someone call their SO something like that and I never did it myself. Now I'm seeing someone newish and I get called baby and I have mixed feelings on the matter lol.

Just my random musing for the night. What do you say?

Replies

• glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Well sweetie, it doesn't bother me.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I actually use them all the time with my bf :] some people like it and some dont

baby seems to be the most used
    and heepo..... don't ask xD haha
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I like 'em! With "peanut" being my favorite of the bunch.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I greet my dh with "howdy handsome" and his is "hey good-lookin"

I call everyone hon - it has no meaning to me.

Pet names coming from the right person can make your heart skip a beat - I speak from experience :blushing:
  • justbeachy01
    justbeachy01 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    hate em! usually if a guy calls me baby I tell them to stop ;)
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    I like babe or baby....it's endearing :smile:
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I use the all the time, probably over use them with my kids :)
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if there is a difference in responses based on marital status... as in married people do it, but dating couples don't. That would be neat to know.

When I was married, it was normal to do it ocassionally. But not in every verbal exchange.
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It has saves me embarrassment numerous times. I once called a current boyfriend an ex boyfriends name ...ummm awkward. Now every man is baby to me!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Lol well tell your guy to stop calling you that.....Oh I would love to be called babe!! Lol its been too long! Lol
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It has saves me embarrassment numerous times. I once called a current boyfriend an ex boyfriends name ...ummm awkward. Now every man is baby to me!

Not every man.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    When my husband uses my first name, it probably means I'm in trouble...*wink*
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of being called pet names...except if it's by my husband...my boyfriend...or Windy. ;)

I call men sweetie or hun every now and then and usually catch myself and stop it right there. It just sounds weird to me
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Lol, at first I thought you meant names for pets.

My first boyfriend always called me sweetheart and it made me swoon. I've always liked being called by a pet name, but could never do it myself. But almost from the moment we got serious my husband and I have called each other baby or babe. In fact I almost never ever call him by his name....I'll refer to him by it, but I almost never speak to him using his name.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Maybe not a "pet" name, but my partner usually calls me by a nickname of some sort but it's rare that he uses my first name.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    I don't like to be called recycled pet names. If you called your ex "babe" then you better ****ing skip it for me. lol

I like personalized pet names. Some favorites are "KayBee" (my mom called me that as a baby and my first bf heard it in a home movie, loved it and adopted it!) and "SkittleButt". Don't ask. :laugh:
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I don't mind them.. I find honey, sweetheart, baby, babe, etc. endearing.

We have a pet name that we don't use in public because it's weird, disgusting, and .. Well, not normal: Poopstain.

I think we were goofing around one time and I called him that for whatever reason and it stuck.. It's just a name to me now, but when I really think about what I'm calling him, it kind of grosses me out. :P
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm a total sucker for sweetie and baby. Unless a guy is just trying to get in my pants....then it just pisses me off.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I don't mind them.. I find honey, sweetheart, baby, babe, etc. endearing.

We have a pet name that we don't use in public because it's weird, disgusting, and .. Well, not normal: Poopstain.

I think we were goofing around one time and I called him that for whatever reason and it stuck.. It's just a name to me now, but when I really think about what I'm calling him, it kind of grosses me out. :P

Lol! My bf usually calls me baby, babe, sweetie and all those. But occasionally calls me "buttface" :P i just laugh xD
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Pet names coming from the right person can make your heart skip a beat

^^^Agreed.

Baby, love, hun, sweetie, beautiful, gorgeous, sexy......all give me butterflies (coming from the right person)

But don't call me "dear" or you might get slapped.