How Do You Feel About The Flu Shot?

Options

Replies

• Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options

Yeah, I have a geeky spot in my heart for science too. It's funny though you mention rumor or myths regarding vaccines, when many people I know who work in the health care field themselves do not get or straight out refuse to get the vaccinations. My best friend is a pharmacist for a Health Sciences Center here, she doesn't get the flu shot, nor do any of her kids. Wonder why that is...

She's probably just misinformed.

Oh yes, that must be why... ;)
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I look forward to hearing findings in the next ten years on the effects the flu shot has had.
    Why 10 years from now? We've been vaccinating people for influenza since the 1940s.

Pretty passionate about vaccines hey. :)
    Passionate about science. Yes, people should weigh the pros and cons and make a decision for themselves AND for the people they are around. But they should be making that determination based on facts, not rumor and myth and "someone forwarded me this email about vaccines OMG".

Yeah, I have a geeky spot in my heart for science too. It's funny though you mention rumor or myths regarding vaccines, when many people I know who work in the health care field themselves do not get or straight out refuse to get the vaccinations. My best friend is a pharmacist for a Health Sciences Center here, she doesn't get the flu shot, nor do any of her kids. Wonder why that is...

While you do have to wonder why they don't get the shot, you also cannot use that as reasoning against getting the shot. The health care professionals in your area may be against receiving the shot, but there could also be thousands of other health care proffesionals that would strongly suggest it. To put it as my crazy calc prof would: "You cannot prove all cats in Canada are black because you found one black cat, to prove all cats in canada are black you must find all cats."(love the guy to bits, but when I found this on an assignment I was truly skeptical at first). The same logic may be applied with your pharmacist reasoning: simply because you found one (or several) who disagree, does not verify the shot is not safe. Conversely, because many health care proffesionals agree with it does not justify that it is safe.
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options
    Metal poisoning from mercury, lead, aluminum and who knows what other metals are linked to alzheimers, autism, etc.
    Don't eat tuna then. Two ounces of canned tuna has 2-3x the amount of heavy metals as any vaccine (that you get once a year at most).

Good point. Don't eat tuna either, because ill judgement of leadership has polluted the food chain as well.:wink:
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Yes, and all of the long term studies I've read are nothing but negative.
    However, in the past few years since the swine flu, more people are being vaccinated, demand for vaccines is higher, people are being pressured into getting stabbed, and paranoia is sky high.
    Curious if you know how much the vaccine has changed if at all?
    Can you link to them for me, please? From reliable sources anyway, I have not seen this to be true in any way, so I would want to read that for myself. (that is said flat, no tone, no snark. :) )

As far as "I know a pharmacist, and he/she doesn't like the shot, so there," goes... Well, it doesn't go far. I'll see your pharmacist friend, and raise you an Ivy-educated immunologist, educated far beyond any doctors in my life (all of whom, btw, endorse and recieve the flu shot). We could play that game for a long time, but the anti-s aren't going to win that one. There aren't as many doctors against the flu shot-- many more are for. And you'll find some who aren't-- guess what? I can find some who seem to be ignorant on antibiotic overuse, and still dole amoxicillin rXs out like candy. Doesn't negate the FACT that they shouldn't be.
  • Ebbykins
    Options
    I look forward to hearing findings in the next ten years on the effects the flu shot has had.
    Why 10 years from now? We've been vaccinating people for influenza since the 1940s.

Pretty passionate about vaccines hey. :)
    Passionate about science. Yes, people should weigh the pros and cons and make a decision for themselves AND for the people they are around. But they should be making that determination based on facts, not rumor and myth and "someone forwarded me this email about vaccines OMG".

While you do have to wonder why they don't get the shot, you also cannot use that as reasoning against getting the shot. The health care professionals in your area may be against receiving the shot, but there could also be thousands of other health care proffesionals that would strongly suggest it. To put it as my crazy calc prof would: "You cannot prove all cats in Canada are black because you found one black cat, to prove all cats in canada are black you must find all cats."(love the guy to bits, but when I found this on an assignment I was truly skeptical at first). The same logic may be applied with your pharmacist reasoning: simply because you found one (or several) who disagree, does not verify the shot is not safe. Conversely, because many health care proffesionals agree with it does not justify that it is safe.

Agreed, but the reasoning behind her not getting the vaccination is actually not because of it's safety. I'm not arguing the validity of the vaccine or the people who really need it. We have discussed that a large part of the general population who are healthy do not need to get it as a preventative measure, but yet they are forced to because of "everyone else" i.e kids, babies, seniors around them having it spread to them... but there really isn't logic in that, because they've had the shot. :) So why is it recommended that everyone need to be vaccinated instead of just those with compromised immune systems, such as children and the elderly, HIV/cancer patients etc? Technically if they are already protected from the flu virus, then we can let the rest of the healthy folk around them go on about their business letting their immune systems do the work and actually strengthening from it, making them naturally more resistant to any other flu strains they encounter related to the previous ones they have had. People are made to believe they NEED the flu shot and I believe that just isn't the right way to go about it. Wasted tax dollars, wasted time and people who end up getting the vaccine have another strain of the flu irregardless during flu season... it should be a personal choice based on health, habits and beliefs, not guilt or fear mongering that a epidemic is on the way and they MIGHT just have the right vaccine this year for that strain...
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options

And new health problems have been popping up ever since. Native Americans are plagued with health problems. Before technology and modern medical science influenced their lifestyles they were a culture that was relatively free of sickness and disease. African Americans have one of the highest rates of skin cancer in America, yet tribes in Africa that stand in the sun for 15 hrs. a day straight have very low rates of skin cancer, if no skin cancer at all. The variables are obvious.
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    Here they only recommend high risk groups get it. What they classify as high risk: elderly, children, those with weakened immune systems, anyone who spends a lot of time with young children, or those with newborns. I'm none of these. The only time I got the flu shot, I ended up getting one of the strains not included in the vaccine. Since, my doctor says not to bother.
  • Ebbykins
    Options
    Here they only recommend high risk groups get it. What they classify as high risk: elderly, children, those with weakened immune systems, anyone who spends a lot of time with young children, or those with newborns. I'm none of these. The only time I got the flu shot, I ended up getting one of the strains not included in the vaccine. Since, my doctor says not to bother.

Here, because it's "free" (not really... paid for out of our own wallets from public health care into big pharma's pockets) it's starting to be pushed more by the media that everyone should be getting it. You getting sick with another strain shortly after the vaccination and not ordinarily getting sick in prior years is very common.
  • SarabellPlus3
    Options
    Yes, and all of the long term studies I've read are nothing but negative.
    However, in the past few years since the swine flu, more people are being vaccinated, demand for vaccines is higher, people are being pressured into getting stabbed, and paranoia is sky high.
    Curious if you know how much the vaccine has changed if at all?
    Can you link to them for me, please? From reliable sources anyway, I have not seen this to be true in any way, so I would want to read that for myself. (that is said flat, no tone, no snark. :) )

As far as "I know a pharmacist, and he/she doesn't like the shot, so there," goes... Well, it doesn't go far. I'll see your pharmacist friend, and raise you an Ivy-educated immunologist, educated far beyond any doctors in my life (all of whom, btw, endorse and recieve the flu shot). We could play that game for a long time, but the anti-s aren't going to win that one. There aren't as many doctors against the flu shot-- many more are for. And you'll find some who aren't-- guess what? I can find some who seem to be ignorant on antibiotic overuse, and still dole amoxicillin rXs out like candy. Doesn't negate the FACT that they shouldn't be.

Doctors are always pro drugs.
    That's... not true. I'm fairly hippy myself, but I don't think my immunologist friend who has no personal interest in promoting flu shot manufacturers for any kind of throw-back or anything of that nature is lying to me for no reason.

Well, honestly, I was going to look at your info, but a youtube video of a rap isn't evidence to me. You're disputing everything I've read and researched, with a pretty well-(if not over-)educated background, with that as your back-up; it's just not convincing.
  • lisamc03
    lisamc03 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Knock on wood, but haven't ever needed one
  • SarabellPlus3
    Options

And new health problems have been popping up ever since. Native Americans are plagued with health problems. Before technology and modern medical science influenced their lifestyles they were a culture that was relatively free of sickness and disease. African Americans have one of the highest rates of skin cancer in America, yet tribes in Africa that stand in the sun for 15 hrs. a day straight have very low rates of skin cancer, if no skin cancer at all. The variables are obvious.
    If you're looking for the obvious variables, then SURELY you mean the HUGE dietary and lifestyle changes at large that have happened also in that time frame, not to mention the intruduction of new peoples with new genes and new viruses.

I'm sorry, but you guys lose me so quickly. I'm pretty hippy. I won't say how long I breastfed for. LOL But surely you know by now that correlation does not prove causation? It is so short-sighted to think any of the above is convincingly linked to vaccinations. And conveniently leaving out how many countless lives have been saved by them, no less.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I am self employed and do not have to take a flu shot. But I certainly feel a lot of sympathy for those who are forced to take one by their place of employment.

Is there any way you can say it's against your religion or belief system and not have to take one? My church has no position on flu shots, but if I was being forced to take a flu shot by my place of employment, I'd certainly try that approach!
  • suchecm
    Options
    In my thirty years I have never had the flu shot and have never had the flu. Why anyone would want to put a whole bunch of chemicals into their bodies is beyond me.
  • kirstyjosephine
    Options
    3cd8a33a.png?1306264975&sa=X&ei=VKPATrSAFJGJmQXiw62qBA&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFXc3S3Y1uKYycgSysS_QtYnCvaTw
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    It's a must-have.

my type-I diabetic son ended up hospitalized for several days last year after he was exposed to someone with it.

thank you for those responsible enough to get vaccinated.
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    I guess I wasn't the only one pissed off about the flu shot! This was the first time that I have taken the flu shot in about 10 years, I have never had the flu in those 10 years.

I did not get sick after the flu shot, the area did not hurt after compared to the last flu shot I took.

I was mainly forced into taking the flu shot,. Work is charging more money for medical insurance if you do not take a flu shot and did not have your blood work done to check for fats in your blood. They also charge more if you are a smoker.

After all this.....just go ahead a take the flu shot. The next issues I believe will be weight issues where they charge more on medical insurance.