How Do You Feel About The Flu Shot?

Options

Replies

• psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If you work in a hospital, with kids or the elderly, you should get one. It's not just for you but for those around you that are immunocompromised. And I am both a doctor and someone who is immunocompromised.
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I myself am highly upset that everyone here is being forced to take a flu shot regardless of whether you want it or not. It's either take it or lose your job- I have never taken one and I don't want one! What are your thoughts about the flu shot?

Where do you work? I work in a hospital where it's highly encouraged- they would never be able to enforce that people get them.
  • beeny83
    Options
    I have never and will never have one! I am all for vaccinations that are to prevent serious life threatening diseases Like whooping cough, Meningococcal and Pneumococcal but when it comes to the flu shot I feel that its not safe to put it in your body since it has not been tested for long enough (they make a new one every year) Here in Perth Australia there was a bad batch that killed babies and left a couple of children with brain damage (it was then recalled). I have never and will never give it to myself or my children. I would rather have the flu then have an adverse reaction that could cost my life.
    Its each to their own but this is my opinion and its a strong one lol.
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options

.... Loaded with a mega dose of mercury. Mmmmm. Delightful. Don't you dare throw out one of those mercury light bulbs in the regular trash, but let's all be forced to get a shot full of mercury? Doesn't seem right to me...
    There's more mercury in a can of tuna than the entire vial of a flu shot.
    Look it up.
    Vaccines are not perfect, but nothing is.
    When I go into the woods I take a gun in-case I come across a python, rattler, gator, etc. I like to have a fighting chance.
    So when I go into the world (ya'know every day) I need to carry a good immune system.
    When you get an Immunization you are exposed to antigen, it charges up your immune system, people who have a reaction to the vaccine and seem to get the flu are seeing signs from their immune system.
    The best part about getting a vaccine is that it reduces incubation, so you will show symptoms sooner after infection, thus you will stay home take it easy and recover faster because you started supportive care sooner. Because you stay home you also stop the spread of the virus. So the benefit is passed on to those who didn't get immunized. Herd Immunity works and works well, but only when the vast majority immunize.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have never had the flu nor have I had the vaccine. My daughter has gotten the flu vaccine since 14 months since she was in daycare. 2 years ago I skipped it and last year I wouldn't let her get it since the combined the swine one in it. I don't think it is a necessary vaccine. My husband has never had the vaccine either.

My son is 9 months and he got it and that is Only because he had a ccam in his lung prenatally which was removed along with the upper lObe of his right lung while on ecmo. Since he has a compromised respiratory system we opted for it for him. He has already had pneumonia too. He also gets the rsv injection called synagis.

I selectively vacccinate as I don't like to give too many. I have reservations about why the govt pushes so many vaccines on us and all these new diseases to come out. Guess I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist at times :) I'm not anti vaccine, I just think no baby needs 6 injections of toxins at once.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=227705163960927&set=a.159526234112154.41716.157706297627481&type=1&theater

And I can't believe that anyone would deny that mercury is poison. http://1phil4everyill.wordpress.com/2009/07/12/toxic-mercury/

The government says so! lol http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html That's just from a teeny tiny light bulb breaking that contains trace amounts of mercury.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options

.... Loaded with a mega dose of mercury. Mmmmm. Delightful. Don't you dare throw out one of those mercury light bulbs in the regular trash, but let's all be forced to get a shot full of mercury? Doesn't seem right to me...
    There's more mercury in a can of tuna than the entire vial of a flu shot.
    Look it up.
    Vaccines are not perfect, but nothing is.
    When I go into the woods I take a gun in-case I come across a python, rattler, gator, etc. I like to have a fighting chance.
    So when I go into the world (ya'know every day) I need to carry a good immune system.
    When you get an Immunization you are exposed to antigen, it charges up your immune system, people who have a reaction to the vaccine and seem to get the flu are seeing signs from their immune system.
    The best part about getting a vaccine is that it reduces incubation, so you will show symptoms sooner after infection, thus you will stay home take it easy and recover faster because you started supportive care sooner. Because you stay home you also stop the spread of the virus. So the benefit is passed on to those who didn't get immunized. Herd Immunity works and works well, but only when the vast majority immunize.

http://mercury-freedrugs.org/docs/091129_MisleadingMercuryexposureComparisonsb.pdf

The brain has its own specialized immune system, separate from that of the rest of the body. When a person is vaccinated, its specialized immune cells, the microglia, become activated (the blood-brain barrier notwithstanding). Multiple vaccinations spaced close together over-stimulate the microglia, causing them to release a variety of toxic elements — cytokines, chemokines, excitotoxins, proteases, complement, free radicals — that damage brain cells and their synaptic connections. Researchers call the damage caused by these toxic substances "bystander injury." (Pediatricians and other professional colleagues who question this should read these two reviews by the neurosurgeon Russell L. Blaylock: "Interaction of Cytokines, Excitotoxins, Reactive Nitrogen and Oxygen Species in Autism Spectrum Disorders," in the Journal of the American Nutraceutical Association [JANA 2003;6(4):21—35], with 167 references. And "Chronic Microglial Activation and Excitotoxicity Secondary to Excessive Immune Stimulation: Possible Factors in Gulf War Syndrome and Autism," in the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons [JAPS 2004;9(2):46—52], posted online, with 54 references.)
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who ended up on ECMO due to swine flu complications. ECMO is a heart/lung bypass which removes blood from you through large cannulas in your neck, and is then oxygenated through a huge machine and put back into you. Serious stuff. Now I have no idea if these people were vaccinated or not, but something to think about either way.
    Just an FYI: typically, people don't die from the flu. They die from complications from the flu (usually dehydration). This is preventable by making sure that when/if you are sick (with ANYTHING), you keep yourself hydrated.

And the 36,000/year is also a guess. They can't actually determine the number because of how death certificates are filled out (non-specific). BUT-if you consider how many people die per DAY in the world (about 155,000), it's really a small number. Of course, they do feel big to the people related to those who do die from complications of the flu, but it does to the family of the 155,000 also...

Especially considering the fact that the flu shot is a GUESS (meaning you can get the shot and still get a wicked flu), it just doesn't seem worth it. The flu is constantly changing and morphing, so by the time one actually gets the shot, it's essentially ineffective anyway.

The best prevention is exercise, proper diet, and keeping up on your necessary vitamins.
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    It is impossible to get the flu from the flu shot. The virus is inactivated and dead. The nasal spray one is live, so technically it could happen that you get the flu from that, but still very unlikely. Just wanted to make that clear!

I'm not argueing your point at all because I hear this all the time but what I don't understand is why certain people get the flu after the shot.

I've heard this too but I literally got the flu within 48 hours of getting the shot. And not mild flu-like symptoms, full blown flu. Concidence? Sure, could be. But as I'm not prone to getting it, it's not something I feel is necessary and I wouldn't appreciate being forced to get it.

I refuse to get the flu shot. A few yrs ago my oldest daughter and her step dad got the flu shot. EVERYBODY in my house got the flu a few days later, except me (an I think I had a mild version. I spent one day sick in bed, which is RARE for me) Wouldnt have been as bad, but we're talking 3 adults an 3 kids an I was the only one not sick. My in-laws were living with us as well, they are elderly and frankly almost ended up in the hospital. I never want to go thru something like that again.
    He has gotten the flu shot a few times since and gets the flu every-freaking-time! Oldest learned her lesson and I wont let the other 2 get the shot.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Obviously, if it isnt mandatory then feel free to make your own choice. However, if it is highly recommended by many professionals please do not try to assume that you are correct in your way of thinking because: you never get the flu shot and havent died yet, so the flu shot does not help. That COULD be like me saying: welll Ive never eaten healthy or excercised regularly and ive yet to even get a heart attack (not completely relevant example, but i think the basics work). Just because you havent had something happen from what you`re doing, does not mean the possibility of it happening isnt there and it doesnt mean you shouldnt try to avoid it in any way possible.

I also think i saw someone post that the number of deaths wasnt that high in comparison to the number that die daily. Well, of course it isnt. What that statistic fails to show is 1. How many people get the flu shot yearly 2. How many of those who died hadn`t received the flu shot and 3. what was the average age range of those who died. 36000 might not seem like a lot but what if you take into consideration that say 80% (completely made up number) of people receive the flu shot. the 20% remaining are not highly susceptible to death from the flu (so more middle aged, healthy individuals). If THOSE happened to be the statistics then 36000 would be an awfully large and intimidating number. However, it could have also worked in the complete opposite manner (more of which people likely think) in which case 36000 really is an irrelevant number of deaths in the grander scheme.

Also, I used to tutor a boy whose dad was a family doctor in our town. We some how got on the topic of this one day and he basically said: getting the flu shot isn`t the magical cure to staying healthy against the flu. There are many different variations of the flu out there an you would need a 100 more shots to avoid them all. However, the flu shot is geared towards keeping you healthy against the most DANGEROUS types of flu. We don`t want people in the hospital dying from something that could have been prevented.

With all that being said, I understand why people might not want to get the flu shot. After all, we spend so much time trying to eat naturally and clean and yet willingly walk into a clinic to inject chemicals into our bodies. Overall, its an opinionated subject... do what works for you if you have the option, get the darn shot if ya don`t... seems simple enough to me :)
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Fair enough , you don't like that comparison so here's one for you
    There is a daily max dose and vaccines are below it, some of the multi-dose vials could deliver a dose higher, but that's a max DAILY dose, as in safe to be dosed that high every single day, so episodic exposure can be much higher.
    The term poison really means nothing by itself, toxicology and Pharmacology always start with "It's not the chemical it's the dose that makes it a cure or a poison"

Aspirin can relieve a fever unless you dose it too high, then it will cause a fever.

I'm sorry but that article you posted from Lew Rockwell seems like a tabloid journalism piece using sensationalism . Besides it's from 2004, since then thimerosal has been removed from pediatric vaccines, and autism rates continued to climb inspite of it. Why can't they just admit they were wrong?
    His theory about the CNS immune system being activated by vaccines has been heavily debated and was investigated.
    There was a Canadian study awhile back that actually showed the exact opposite, vaccinated patient's were less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease.

some reading

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17928818

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17168158

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=10997
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    To answer some questions mentioned earlier-- Sometimes people get the flu directly after getting a flu shot because it takes about 2 weeks before you are immune. So during that period of time you're still vulnerable, and may coincidentally contract the flu. Also, the only way to know if you actually have THE flu-- influenza-- is to get a blood test to see what is causing your symptoms. Stomach bugs and nasty colds are commonly referred to as "the flu" during flu season, but it doesn't mean they literally caught influenza.

If you work in health care, it should be mandatory-- just like washing your hands and following sterile procedure. They say the flu is only serious to the very young, old, and immunocompromised-- but that's precisely who many hospital patients are! In order to protect your weakened patients from contracting the flu from you and possibly dying, anyone who works in health care and is not allergic to the vaccine should get a flu shot-- and yes, I do think it should be mandatory. (This is coming from someone who grew up in a health care family, full of nurses and other hospital professionals, including both of my parents!!)
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've gotten the shot for 10+yrs now. I work with developmentally disabled adults, and I'm routinely sneezed on, spit on, and worse. I've never had a reaction to the shot, & have gone from getting the flu once a year before the shot, to not getting it since starting with shots.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    ive only gotten one in my life that i remember.. and that was when i was pregnant with my first daughter and my obgyn recommended it. i dont get them and ive never gotten the flu in my adult life. my kids dont get them either.
    my husband, on the other hand, gets one every year. hes a cable technician and people tend to not cancel their installation appointments when theyre sick.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    Don't like it, won't get it, would rather have the flu.

Only people in my fam that have gotten it IMMEDIATELY got sick. I think we have weak immune systems and dont take well to it.

Besides, the flu means some weight loss and an excuse to eat exclusively soup
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Personal choice - they are generally recommended for people with a compromised immune system, and I've had one in the past when I worked in a more medical based position.
    I haven't had one for the last few years because every time I've had one I've got sicker during that winter than the years I don't have it. It could well be co-incidence, but I'm not in a high risk group so don't see the need.
  • alikat5544
    alikat5544 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't get the flu shot, but I am not elderly or pregnant. Each time my husband has gotten the flu shot he gets sick with the flu later, so that just makes my decision to not get it easier. If it took care of all strands of flu then maybe it would be worth it, but it doesn't.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you work in a hospital, with kids or the elderly, you should get one. It's not just for you but for those around you that are immunocompromised. And I am both a doctor and someone who is immunocompromised.

I totally agree. I'm a nurse and I'm immunocomprimised as well.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    im torn on this. On one hand i dont like the idea of being forced into being vaccinated, but on the other hand, youll be dealing with very vulnerable and susceptible people, and I think its important you dont pass on anything nasty.I had to be vaccinated against all sorts of things when i was doing nurse training. I didnt question it. I felt like it was for my benefit as well as other peoples
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't get the flu shot, but I am not elderly or pregnant. Each time my husband has gotten the flu shot he gets sick with the flu later, so that just makes my decision to not get it easier. If it took care of all strands of flu then maybe it would be worth it, but it doesn't.

My husband got the flu shot last year and was sick with the flu for a full 2 weeks after getting the shot. I am not saying you can get the flu from the shot (although it might be true) but then again, it didn't stop him from getting the flu either.

I've never had the flu shot. I don't plan on it either. I think it should be a personal choice depending on your personal feelings about it and circumstances. I don't think an employer should have the right to fire you for not getting it. That part of it doesn't seem right to me.