How Do You Feel About The Flu Shot?

Options

Replies

• Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have never gotten one and my kids don't get it either. We're all healthy and rarely get sick. And if we get the flu, we'll deal with it, but they are 4 and the most they've had are minor viral infections that their bodies fought off without the need of medication.
  • jumperchick
    Options

Yes, you can still get a different organism and get sick. But that's not because you got the vaccine, it's because someone else didn't get the vaccine. And you're still likely to be able to fight that one off faster because your immune system is still primed for the flu virus in general - it's not going in completely blind. If exposing a virus to a vaccine made it mutate, we never would have eradicated smallpox, and be close to eradicating polio.

I'm a scientist, and feelings have little place in science. People should make their decisions based on facts.

like.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I get one every year. I work with the public. My employer offers it for free. My Mom is very susceptible, in a nursing home, so it 's sort of a no brainer.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Will never get one again. The last 3 years I've had flu shots I've had the flu within a month. It does nothing for me but gives me a sore arm.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I am pro vaccine in general but I am a nurse and don't get the flu vaccine. I have never had the flu and worked in an internist office during the peak of flu season and the dreaded H1N1. I think it is great for high risk people but just because I am in healthcare doesn't mean I am high risk. Some of my patient's may be but I am not and I would absolutely refuse to get a vaccine that was mandatory by my employer. I think it should be an option but not a requirement for healthcare workers.

There are a million organisms that I could possibly pass on to my patients that could possibly kill them. As someone said earlier, the majority of people that die from the flu, actually die from complications from the flu.

If I am sick, I stay home and while at work I practice diligent handwashing practices not only to help protect my patient's but also myself and my family. I think the vaccine is great and am not against it, but I would not work somewhere it was a requirement. Think liberty rights...I have the right not to inject myself with chemicals if I so choose.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    There are a million organisms that I could possibly pass on to my patients that could possibly kill them. As someone said earlier, the majority of people that die from the flu, actually die from complications from the flu.

Of course there are but surely one with a method of prevention (the vaccine) is different to one without a method of prevention? With regard to the complications, yes that is true but the reality remains that if the flu hadn't been contracted then it is unlikely that the person would have actually died at that time, so isn't that a very similar thing to dying from the flu?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I do not get flu shots, nor do I allow my son to get one even though every year they give them to all of the children at his school. The vaccine only protects you against one strain of the flu, and there are always several strains that are floating around. This year, the flu shots are the exact same as the shots they gave last year... so if you already got the shot last year, why would you need to get it again?

Like.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options

Of course there are but surely one with a method of prevention (the vaccine) is different to one without a method of prevention? With regard to the complications, yes that is true but the reality remains that if the flu hadn't been contracted then it is unlikely that the person would have actually died at that time, so isn't that a very similar thing to dying from the flu?

If the flu vaccine protected against all strains of the the flu then I would get it. Since it doesn't, it is still a high probablity that someone could contract the flu even after vaccination.

My son gets the flu every year. He has tested positive for Influenza A every single year for the past 5 years. The year before last, I had him vaccinated and guess what, he still got the flu. He was sicker that year than he ever had been before.

I don't think anyone should be forced to inject any substance into their body if they don't want it. Just because I am a healthcare worker doesn't mean I should be stripped of my rights.
  • Quaters
    Quaters Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i think that you are to young to need one, i only had one this year cause my doc,gave it to me before i could say No....it did not have any effect on me i never got the flue either, But i want have one next year as if your healthy you should not need it.
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I personally do not like any vaccines, I had thought long and hard on if I was going to vaccinate my children, but the ONLY reason I decided to vaccinate them was because I would be absolutely heartbroken if they had come down with any of the deadly diseases that the vaccines prevent. I do not agree with the methods they use to "grow" the diseases (ie: dead animal body parts... nothing like being injected with a little bit of dead monkey kidneys!!) and I definitely do not agree with all of the chemicals that they put into the vaccines. My family and I will not be receiving a flu shot. (that is until the government makes it mandatory like most of the other vaccines)
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I work in biopharma, and have worked on the H1 and H5 vaccines. I've never had a flu shot, and would never get one!!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I get one each year...never had the flu and have never been sick from the vaccine. Bonus this year since my insurance carrier paid for the shot plus gave me a $25 Visa gift card for getting it done!! :bigsmile:
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    The flu vaccine for 2011-2012 protects against the most likely strain of influenza A, influenza B, and H1N1 (swine flu). The flu vaccine offers absolutely no protection against what is commonly referred to as the "stomach flu" in which you suffer from vomiting and diarrhea. That is a completely different virus. Influenza is marked by 7 - 10 days of high fevers, severe body aches, malaise, headache, etc. A runny nose and a cough without a significant fever is likely the common cold, not influenza, and again, a completely different virus.
    After you receive the flu vaccine, full immunity is not reached for two weeks. That's why you should get the vaccine early in the flu season. If you get sick within those two weeks, you probably contracted the flu from a coworker, at the grocery store, etc. before you achieved full immunity and not from the flu shot.
    The most risky complication from influenza is not dehydration. (This is likely the case for the "stomach flu" however). Complications from influenza include pneumonia, multi-system organ failure, encephalopathy, etc. Generally much more serious than dehydration and much more difficult to treat. Those with the weakest immune systems (infants, elderly and other immunocompromised) are the most likely to suffer from fatal complications.
    I am a physician assistant. While I strongly encourage vaccines for most of my patients, I certainly do not force them on anyone. There are valid reasons for not getting them. However, mercury poisoning, risk of autism, etc. are not valid reasons. No one should be forced to get a vaccine that they do not wish to get, but you do need to base your decision to decline one on ACCURATE information.
    I get my flu shot every year, as does my daughter. After life-flighting infants with pneumonia to a larger hospital and hoping they make it through, I will never refuse one. However, like I said, it's a personal decision.

Please realize I am not insulting anyone. Before going to PA school, I had no idea what the "flu" really was and I made assumptions much like previous posts. I would just like everyone to make an INFORMED decision and in no way want to start a generalized "to vaccinate or not to vaccinate" debate.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone should be forced to inject any substance into their body if they don't want it. Just because I am a healthcare worker doesn't mean I should be stripped of my rights.

I do appreciate what you are saying. I guess that as a healthcare worker, I feel I have a duty to my patients to get the vaccine (even though I don't like getting it, who does?). I feel like I chose healthcare even though I knew I would be required to be vaccinated so now it is my obligation to keep up with my vaccinations.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I myself am highly upset that everyone here is being forced to take a flu shot regardless of whether you want it or not. It's either take it or lose your job- I have never taken one and I don't want one! What are your thoughts about the flu shot?

Tell them you are allergic to eggs, the flu shot is grown in egg white cultures so if you are allergic you cannot get it. I am actually allergic and have never been forced to get it, even when i was in the schoo, system who forced everyone else to. :)
  • chinadoll725
    chinadoll725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I get the flu shot every year, and vaccinate my children as well (nasal). I feel the benefits outway the risks- there is a risk with any vaccination but there are also risks with having the flu if you contract it. I work in the medical field as well, and we are "highly encouraged" to get it. Ultimately, there is no guarantee that you will no get the flu even if receiving the vaccine but it does increase your chances of not contracting it. And it's not just for your protection, its for others around you- not exposing them if you do get the flu..

"The 2011-2012 vaccine will protect against an influenza A H3N2 virus, an influenza B virus and the H1N1 virus that emerged in 2009 to cause a pandemic" per our infection prevention dpt.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    The flu vaccine for 2011-2012 protects against the most likely strain of influenza A, influenza B, and H1N1 (swine flu). The flu vaccine offers absolutely no protection against what is commonly referred to as the "stomach flu" in which you suffer from vomiting and diarrhea. That is a completely different virus. Influenza is marked by 7 - 10 days of high fevers, severe body aches, malaise, headache, etc. A runny nose and a cough without a significant fever is likely the common cold, not influenza, and again, a completely different virus.
    After you receive the flu vaccine, full immunity is not reached for two weeks. That's why you should get the vaccine early in the flu season. If you get sick within those two weeks, you probably contracted the flu from a coworker, at the grocery store, etc. before you achieved full immunity and not from the flu shot.
    The most risky complication from influenza is not dehydration. (This is likely the case for the "stomach flu" however). Complications from influenza include pneumonia, multi-system organ failure, encephalopathy, etc. Generally much more serious than dehydration and much more difficult to treat. Those with the weakest immune systems (infants, elderly and other immunocompromised) are the most likely to suffer from fatal complications.
    I am a physician assistant. While I strongly encourage vaccines for most of my patients, I certainly do not force them on anyone. There are valid reasons for not getting them. However, mercury poisoning, risk of autism, etc. are not valid reasons. No one should be forced to get a vaccine that they do not wish to get, but you do need to base your decision to decline one on ACCURATE information.
    I get my flu shot every year, as does my daughter. After life-flighting infants with pneumonia to a larger hospital and hoping they make it through, I will never refuse one. However, like I said, it's a personal decision.

Please realize I am not insulting anyone. Before going to PA school, I had no idea what the "flu" really was and I made assumptions much like previous posts. I would just like everyone to make an INFORMED decision and in no way want to start a generalized "to vaccinate or not to vaccinate" debate.

^ This.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends what you do for work. If you're in a medical setting, or teaching small children or even a gym setting where you're in constant contact with people, I can see them making it a requirement for your safety, as well as the safety of the people you're servicing. I work in computers and my company has Blue Cross come in and we can get the shots if we want them. I've never had them (neither has DD - OMG I'm such a bad parent - whatever) because my mother has had several severe reactions to them. She stopped getting them and I've opted not to. I always said that I'm sticking to that until I HAVE to or they won't let me in the door at work and DD won't get one until it's a requirement for them to attend school. BTW...knocking on wood here....I've avoided the Flu as well.
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't like flu shots. I've never had one in my life. My kids don't get them. My husband doesn't get it. My family got the H1N1 last year, and we survived. We felt miserable for a little while, slept a lot, drank lots of water and vegged out together, took our fever meds, and got over it. We relied on our immune systems, and they worked just the way they were supposed to.

The flu shot isn't even guaranteed to work. It's a guess. Loaded with a mega dose of mercury. Mmmmm. Delightful. Don't you dare throw out one of those mercury light bulbs in the regular trash, but let's all be forced to get a shot full of mercury? Doesn't seem right to me...

Yup. This. Totally...

ALthough Ive never had H1N1 but I have had the flu.

I prefer my immune system to do its job and so far it hasn't let me down.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    i think that you are to young to need one, i only had one this year cause my doc,gave it to me before i could say No....it did not have any effect on me i never got the flue either, But i want have one next year as if your healthy you should not need it.

Seriously? I'd file a complaint against your doc and find a new doctor. If anyone EVER gave me a shot without my consent I'd throw a holy hissy fit.