*sigh*Partner losing weight?They are planning to leave

Options

Replies

• InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    And the Torygraph still calls itself a broadsheet. This is the worst kind of red-top sensationalism - I'd have expected it from the Daily Heil, frankly.

Call Ben Goldacre immediately... www.badscience.net

:noway:
  • h82bfat
    Options
    I've not read the study, but it seems to be reaching. Loosing weight could be a covert plan to make one spouse more marketable but it could also be because they love their family and wish to live a long and healthy life with them. The same goes for saving money or nearly any positive act. I don't thing weight loss is a sign one partner wants to bail.
  • InstantSunshine
    Options
    hahahah. this is great. sending to my boyfriend.

I like you! Hahahah
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    When you get married you're supposed to get out of shape! Have you ever seen a retired pro athlete? They blow up and get huge. Same thing goes for when you're married. You have retired from the dating game no reason to be in game day condition anymore because you can't play in the game.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    For me it's partly true.

I really don't know how long i can keep going with how things are, so if/when i do leave, I want to be a more "eligible bachelor"

But my case is rather unique, seems I'm in the minority here.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I have seen this happen with people I know more than once - where one person lost weight and the other became insecure and jealous, or in the case of the women..they started getting a lot of attention from other guys, and decided the grass was greener outside of marriage.

I agree with most people though, that isn't not the majority! I've lost for myself, but also for my husband, who is loving how I look now. I certainly don't need attention from other guys to know what I'm doing is working....
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    The honest truth is many people gain weight when they are unhappy so naturally when they start to shed those pounds they look to the reasons why and maybe they start eliminating them. I don't think people in a good relationship look elsewhere just because they lose weight. I also hate the study where people that drink diet soft drinks are more likely to gain weight. I don't think thats a fair study because people who drink diet are often dealing with weight issues, same thing in this study in my opinion.

Great point
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    That sucks. I feel like since my fiance loved me heavier, that he deserves me even more when I am thinner. It was a test, thats my excuse for being fat haha finding that one guy that loved me anyway then getting hot for him. Lol thats my excuse anyway
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options
    Bull *kitten*. THis is my wifes biggest fear, is that im getting "all in shape" and am going to leave because she is not making the progress that I have. She is litteraly terrified of my weightloss, that I will leave her now. no matter what I tell her she is still insecure about it. I love her and Im losing weight so I can stay around to be with her till we are old and in rocking chairs.

and this is Exactly the kind of person who DOESN'T need to read this article.

It is hard enough to lose weight without adding jealousy to the mix. This study just validates her fears.
  • IamBrande
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest weight, my EX-husband, treated me like GARBAGE, after me working my *kitten* off for over 5 yrs, i met my goal weight... in 2009!

During my journey of losing the weight... he grew insecure, he grew "scared" he become very very clingy, not to mention EXTREMELY JEALOUS of anyone and everyone, to the point that days of going out anywhere..stopped! no more trips to the beach, to more dinners/dancing..........just always at home, where there was no one he felt he had to 'compete" with...when we woudl go out to a festival or something, he would grope on me, and make it known to anyone and everything, that i was HIS GIRL! (Vomit) ! He changed, more than I did!!

It definitely had a negative effect on my then Marriage, he began feeling inadequate as a husband, he felt "not good enough" and hsi self esteem was plummeting to the ground...so in turn, he began a slew of cheating frenzies, one affair after the other to fill his void with himself.

He felt that I was "going to leave him" because "I" was losing weight and was no longer 240+ lbs! LIttle did he realize, was that I loved him more than anything, I loved our family life!
    But because I grew as a person, I loved myself, I was self confident (not cocky), I was more outgoing, more energic, and over all HAPPIER.........

My Marriage of 13yrs, ended in Divorce. A tragic end to my long journey!!

*That depression, let me to gain 33lbs... so my goal weight that i worked to so hard to reach (135lbs) is no more.. im back up to 170's...........however, I WILL lose it all again, and IF I lose my current boyfriend/fiance because of it...then so be it..... I deserve to feel happy, and love myself again!!!!!!*
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say studies can be skewed to say anything. I for one am doing this for my husband, not to leave him. I want to spend a long happy life with him and give him the best of myself that I can.

phrased perfectly!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    Bupkis. I have no plan on leaving my DW. I am losing weight because I want more years with her, not less; and yes, she could stand to lose a fair amount of weight as well.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I got sick of being fat. I didn't get sick of being married.

^^Agree!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    it's a UK study.

Therefore....

Disregard.

:)

Unless you do plan to leave, in which case, let me know so I can have a chance at you! :bigsmile:
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    On the real, though, I lost a ton of weight while my hub was deployed and he still makes comments about about thisandthat because now I'm "thin" etc.
    Even after 2 years it still pissees me off.
  • InstantSunshine
    Options
    it's a UK study.

Therefore....

Disregard.

Er.... excuse me?
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Options
    it's a UK study.

Therefore....

Disregard.

Unless you do plan to leave, in which case, let me know so I can have a chance at you! :bigsmile:

HAHA you'll be the 1st to know :wink:
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I don't think people leave their partner because they simply lost weight but I bet it has to do with confidence levels. Suddenly you feel empowered and strong (and sexy). Maybe the reason why you were down in the dumps in the first place and fat was because you were unhappy with the situation or in an abused relationship, etc. Then you realize, hey I'm not that bad, I'm strong, I can do this.. and it pours out into other areas in your life.

I can believe that.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    When you get married you're supposed to get out of shape! Have you ever seen a retired pro athlete? They blow up and get huge. Same thing goes for when you're married. You have retired from the dating game no reason to be in game day condition anymore because you can't play in the game.

You don't think a person should take care of themselves after they are married???
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Oh good grief! I'm sure there are some people who do that, but not everyone, clearly. I want to lose for me, regardless of relationship status. It's never been about someone else.

And, seriously, are they going to get all thin and pretty, leave their partner, find a new one and get dumpy again?