*sigh*Partner losing weight?They are planning to leave

Options

Replies

• kristinadavid
    kristinadavid Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't think this study is all inclusive. I can see though why in many cases it might look as though this is the case. Many times when people are not the shape they feel that they should be in their self esteem is low and they might feel they are not worthy of the love of a kind, caring, wonderful person. When people adjust to having a healthier lifestyle and start to feel better about themself they realize that they are worthy of a healthy relationship with someone who appreciates them and treats them well- so they do end up leaving the person that they were in a relationship with before.
  • heatherreneehill
    Options
    Yeah I seen that...God forbid if you're losing weight because of health reasons or because you're tired of being the way you are. Don't use common sense media...keep speculating ;)
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i would hope my husband knows better. i'm losing weight so we can have healthy babies!
  • Liluth
    Liluth Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I personally don't trust anything that says it's based on a study if a link to the study isn't provided.

Part of being a good journalist is taking a piece and putting the most interesting/controversial headline on it.

Facts, new article, or gtfo.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Bullsh*t. I'm losing baby weight. I'm not leaving the best man in the world.

Well that can't be true... we're not married!?! =P
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Well if you follow all the studies, one week they are telling you something is bad for you and the next week it's the way to lose weight. They're like the tabloids in the line at the supermarket. One says Brad and Angelina are getting married and the other one says she's sleeping with another woman :laugh:

Oh and beat him with the smart stick for even asking such a ridiculous question!
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Well crap I was doing it so that I would be more attractive for my wife and live a long life with her. Now I guess I'd better go find a hussie...
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I didn't follow the link but I just need to say that I've always been heavier when single, and then when I get into a relationship I feel "safe enough" to lose weight.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I read the article, and I don't like the assumption that someone in a relationship is supposed to just give up on what they look like, and showing any interest in their fitness or health is a sign they are getting ready to leave! What a proposterous assumption. I am in a steady relationship, and the #1 reason I want to lose this weight is to be healthy and have a longer life with him...not so I can go find a new partner!

Exactly!
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have each lost 71 lbs. Not so we can leave each other but so we can stay alive and healthy for each other. We have had 18 wonderful years and we want to make sure we have many more. On the other hand we are both getting "new" spouses so to speak. With the new energy and self-confidence we are in a 2nd honeymoon phase. :love:
  • sanzertu
    Options
    i think it sounds true at a 60 % cause if one did want to lose weight why dont they both lose weight together would that make more since if they want to live why not the both of them.
    and then 20 % in some relationships one doesnt care to or need to lose weight cause stress on the body, health issues etc.
    20 % one is fit enough and the other is stressing on it
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i think it sounds true at a 60 % cause if one did want to lose weight why dont they both lose weight together would that make more since if they want to live why not the both of them.
    and then 20 % in some relationships one doesnt care to or need to lose weight cause stress on the body, health issues etc.
    20 % one is fit enough and the other is stressing on it

Necrotic Thread! BE... REBORN!!!
  • mcshoelovin22
    mcshoelovin22 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I did this before I left my ex #guilty
  • alw141
    alw141 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I read the article, and I don't like the assumption that someone in a relationship is supposed to just give up on what they look like, and showing any interest in their fitness or health is a sign they are getting ready to leave! What a proposterous assumption. I am in a steady relationship, and the #1 reason I want to lose this weight is to be healthy and have a longer life with him...not so I can go find a new partner!

^^^THIS!!!^^^
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read the article. A study can be skewed to prove any point. My relationship is stable and I'm getting fit so that I can spend many more years with my boyfriend, not leave him.

Word
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I think if someone actually left after losing weight, the other person was better off without them.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I. Losing weight for my man I want to be sexy confident and be the way I was when we first met before our child I'm losing weight so I can walk around in any type of clothing an him wanting to pounce on me an every chance he gets
  • LaurenVamp
    LaurenVamp Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is bull.

Your partner should be happy for you if your'e losing weight and/or getting healthy. Why not support you instead of being afraid to lose you? Mine is doing the same with me, and so are my cousin and her husband!

If he/she is paranoid, I say get out there and do the same. Consider it motivation to do something good for yourselves together!
  • ValerieZ84
    ValerieZ84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My husband says that all the time :huh:

You know, because throwing away 9 years together, (4 years of marriage) with a divorce and starting over fresh as a single mom of 2 holds wonderous appeal.

Every pound I lose makes me lose the love I have for him.

I can go on with the sarcastic answers I give him. :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The article doesn't give reference to the actual study, where it was published or any details about how it was conducted. Did they just suddenly realize that people tend to gain weight when they get married and be slimmer when looking for a mate and come to a random conclusion that it means losing weight = wanting a new partner??