20 children

Options

Replies

• nothingisred
    Options
    point is....she doesn't manage raising 20 kids. Her children raise her children.
    the younger ones call the older siblings "mom" ...
    that's sad in itself.

Oh no, that is really sad! How awful. I do think this is very selfish. Not being from America I've never heard of this family before, but I find it really sad, I just think those children will never have the chance to have a close relationship with their parents, they must be spreading themselves so thin.
  • CrzyAte
    Options
    Not only that but the risk to the child increases with the mothers age. She is 20 years older than she was when she had her first child so I would say the chance the next one has problems is greatly increased.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I don't like to judge people for the decisions (not often anyway - I am human) BUT!!! 20 children now-a-days is just disgusting if you ask me. I know they can support them, but my gosh, why oh why would you do that to yourself? Having 20 children 200 years ago made sense because not many of them would make it into adulthood, but in 2011 .. well... 2012 I guess?! Ugh

I had a look at their website and they are deeply religious so I guess that is a factor. I have a friend who is not allowed to use protection and she is about to have a second child and her first is not even 2. She didn't really want kids but she had pre marital sex, got married to they guy, so in order to have sex, she will most likely just keep getting pregnant.

I believe in God. I use condoms and birth control.

Yes, that is you, I am talking about their faith and my friends faith.

But of course! If we're talking specifics though, I believe it is Catholicism that speaks out against the use of birth control, and the Duggars are not Catholic.

A lot of fundamentalist religions don't allow their women to use birth control, not just Catholics. I believe in a lot of cases (not 100% sure) that they see it as a form of abortion and also as going against God's will. If God wants you to get pregnant and have 20 kids over your lifetime, it's your duty to do so.

Thanks. I was going to state this but I did not want to get into a debate, especially as the OP is very religious. I am not getting into one of those arguments.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't like to judge people for the decisions (not often anyway - I am human) BUT!!! 20 children now-a-days is just disgusting if you ask me. I know they can support them, but my gosh, why oh why would you do that to yourself? Having 20 children 200 years ago made sense because not many of them would make it into adulthood, but in 2011 .. well... 2012 I guess?! Ugh

I had a look at their website and they are deeply religious so I guess that is a factor. I have a friend who is not allowed to use protection and she is about to have a second child and her first is not even 2. She didn't really want kids but she had pre marital sex, got married to they guy, so in order to have sex, she will most likely just keep getting pregnant.

But of course! If we're talking specifics though, I believe it is Catholicism that speaks out against the use of birth control, and the Duggars are not Catholic.

A lot of fundamentalist religions don't allow their women to use birth control, not just Catholics. I believe in a lot of cases (not 100% sure) that they see it as a form of abortion and also as going against God's will. If God wants you to get pregnant and have 20 kids over your lifetime, it's your duty to do so.
    There might be some religions out there that do that just as those that have multiple wives. But it can be a common missconception that all believing in God think the same in other issues in life. Many people go to the same church but have different views and opinions on life.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options

I'm Catholic and you better believe I am not going to have 20 kids. That woman should be committed.
  • Peep_chic
    Options
    Not only that but the risk to the child increases with the mothers age. She is 20 years older than she was when she had her first child so I would say the chance the next one has problems is greatly increased.

True, the older the egg and the sperm the more complications increase...
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    One day her uterus will revolt.

Exactly!
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options

I'm Catholic and you better believe I am not going to have 20 kids. That woman should be committed.

haha, love it. I think uit just must be an obsession and the need for attention. Why else would you put yourself in the media like that.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Thanks. I was going to state this but I did not want to get into a debate, especially as the OP is very religious. I am not getting into one of those arguments.

I'm not trying to start an argument at all, just stating something that I *think* a lot of more strict? (I'm not sure what the word I want to use is!) religions follow. I wasn't saying anything bad about it :flowerforyou:
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options

OMG!! HAHAHAHAHA. Love this.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I can't help but to think this is truly a selfish act. I doubt one of those kids had a "normal" childhood. It saddens me.

So does that womans hair.

THIS!!!!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options

I've been refraining from jumping in this thread!
  • Peep_chic
    Options

I've been refraining from jumping in this thread!

Your feet just got wet
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I can't help but wonder about the consequences of 20 pregnancies on a woman's body!
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I can't help but wonder about the consequences of 20 pregnancies on a woman's body!

I agree! I wouldn't so much worry about the physical appearance of it myself, because I think saggy skin, stretch marks, etc. are battle wounds that prove I created life, but can you imagine how her body feels? It must be tired.
  • Peep_chic
    Options
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read through all of your comments because there are 4 pages of it and you all are ignorant and rude.

Michelle and Jim Bob are loving parents, they give each child one on one time.
    The older kids are not called "mom" by the younger ones, they are called "Jana, John David, Jessa, Jinger" and so on.
    They choose to make LOVE. They do not TRY for them. In their eyes each pregnancy is the will of god.
    They are very religious and do not use birth control. They did when they were first married and Michelle had three miscarriages because of it.
    They have no debts, even before they had the show. They do not use any assistance from the government, they own their own businesses. They buy used and save the difference, something hundreds of thousands of mothers and fathers do everyday to keep their children comfortable!
    They are happy, healthy, and caring. If more of the earth was like that we'd have less war. Not saying we all should have 20 children, I personally only want one, but we should learn to be nice to one another, even those we do not know.

And for anyone who said "The world is over populated!" Know that you and the rest of the whole world could move into the state of Texas and have room to spare. The world is not over populated. 7 babies are born every minute.

THERE, now I suggest we get back to eating right and exercising and STOP worrying about other people's families, uterus, or children who don't need anyone to worry about them. They are fine without your criticism.