Macintosh
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Granny Smith! Tart, sweet and crisp!
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Now ... fuji or gala because that's the easiest to find organic where I shop. I'm not an organic nutcase, but apples are #1 on the dirty dozen. I buy dirty dozen produce organic. Clean 15 I buy regular produce.
    http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

Not all non-organic apples are produced using chemicals and pesticides, though. A lot of growers are going more toward soft programs, which build up the trees with nutrients so that they can fight off pests on their own as well as grow a better apple.

When I buy at the farmers' market or orchard, they publicize information about their growing techniques and can be comfortable buying non-organic. But when I pick up apples at the grocer, I have no idea how the apple was grown so I would rather play it safe. My family eats a lot of apples. Unless I know for sure where they came from and how they were grown, I'd rather be safe.

Fair enough.

Having grown up eating apples, cherries, pears, and peaches straight off the tree in non-organic orchards (in the 80s and 90s, no less), I just always find it a bit amusing that people freak out about them so much.

I know. I grew up on a farm. I have fond memories of lying on my back in the garden, reading my book and snacking on veggies (dirt and all) right from the plants. That said, I think our environment and food supply are so much more inundated with chemicals and hormones than they were a generation ago. I'm not concerned so much for me, but I worry about the next generation.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Honeycrisp, hands down. The guy at the farm stand calls them "the crack of apples" - second choice, Stayman, third choice Pink Lady, fourth choice, a banana.
  • IsleOfThanet
    Options
    Pink Lady and Gala. But I only like medium to small apples ... so many of the apples in the shop are huge and look like they have been on a course of steriods.
  • whiskers17
    whiskers17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    GOLDRUSH ... !!! I've never had a crisper, juicer, more powerful flavored apple in all my life ... THEY ARE 'DE BOMB !!!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    organic gala apples.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Honey Crisp
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    Ambrosia! Yummmmmmmm.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I love gala, honeycrisp and granny smith. I don't like red delicious apples at all. I feel like they get soft sooner than others.
  • JosieMomGramma
    JosieMomGramma Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Gala are my favorite so far. It us to be red delicious, but the past several years I do not find them as sweet & mostly to soft. Anyway I am putting on a women's evening event in our church all surrounding around "Apples" , what the bible says about the Apple of the eye, etc. Also the health benefits of apples & other information on them. I have purchased several different kinds of apples to sample as well. Some of which I have not even heard of or tasted so I am looking forward to it. I am curious as to the taste of the Honey crisp, which I did purchase; as many of you have said they are your favorite. Apples are definitely good for you!!!
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    I just had to try a Honey Crisp apple with lots of people saying how much they love them....This is my taste results of the Honey Crisps compared to Gala apples and that is the Honey Crisp are SWEET compared to Gala. Too sweet for me! I am going back to my Gala applies.
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    honeycrisp, braeburn and red delicious in that order
  • wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    Options
    Call me old fashioned but a good ol' Red Delicious works for me. Fujis mighty satisfying too!
  • Loolypooly
    Options
    Golden girl!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Now ... fuji or gala because that's the easiest to find organic where I shop. I'm not an organic nutcase, but apples are #1 on the dirty dozen. I buy dirty dozen produce organic. Clean 15 I buy regular produce.
    http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

Not all non-organic apples are produced using chemicals and pesticides, though. A lot of growers are going more toward soft programs, which build up the trees with nutrients so that they can fight off pests on their own as well as grow a better apple.

When I buy at the farmers' market or orchard, they publicize information about their growing techniques and can be comfortable buying non-organic. But when I pick up apples at the grocer, I have no idea how the apple was grown so I would rather play it safe. My family eats a lot of apples. Unless I know for sure where they came from and how they were grown, I'd rather be safe.

Fair enough.

Having grown up eating apples, cherries, pears, and peaches straight off the tree in non-organic orchards (in the 80s and 90s, no less), I just always find it a bit amusing that people freak out about them so much.

I know. I grew up on a farm. I have fond memories of lying on my back in the garden, reading my book and snacking on veggies (dirt and all) right from the plants. That said, I think our environment and food supply are so much more inundated with chemicals and hormones than they were a generation ago. I'm not concerned so much for me, but I worry about the next generation.

For apples, though, I think the opposite is true. The chemicals they put on them have become much more regulated and the pesticides much less dangerous from a generation ago. Such is probably not the case for all crops, and many out there have become more likely to be genetically modified, but I know for a fact that there is, as of yet, no such thing as a GM apple.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Pink Ladies!! :love:
  • collinsclarac
    Options
    Golden Ginger & Honeycrisp - Yum
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    What does a Pink Lady taste like? Is it sweet like Honey Crisp? I love Gala apples, the Honey Crisp apple is too sweet for me.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    GALA!! :love: