Biggest things not to do on a first date

Options

Replies

• TheLeapist
    Options
    Don't vomit at the table. This never happened. I just think it is good advice.
    This actually happened to my friend. She was hammered and threw up on the table at this sports bar. Her and her date left cash on the table and ran out of the restaurant before the waiter came back. They are now engaged.
    I think this is less of a turn off for guys than it is for girls. That's awesome though. Haha.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about the future in general. I'm not a recreational dater, so if I don't see long-term potential on the first date, there won't be a second date. Some of the questions I would ask on the first date are how the guy feels about marriage and kids, where he hopes to be in his career in 5 years, etc. No need to get emotionally attached to someone who has very different views on pretty big issues, and I'm just not the kind of person to drag the "getting to know you" process out over four or five dates. Not when it comes to major things. I just don't have time for it.

Now, I would advise against asking a guy "Could you see yourself marrying ME?" on the first date. That's somewhat completely over the top.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Be perfectly charming for the first hour, but quiet...and then slam back the Corona's. Then think that because the girl takes off her glasses in the car it's because she wants to put out....and, no, she won't want to 'go somewhere quiet' ;-) It's also obvious that you don't stand and quite literally stare at her backside when she walks up the stairs :-D

That was my first date with the OH - he's quite shy meeting new people, decided to drink loads as he thought he was being too quiet. I wouldn't have seen him again only one of the girls at work said if he was ok up to the point of maxing up the Corona's give it another go. Glad I did, he's great. Plus the fact that the kids and I love reminding him of what a stud he was on the first date, and it gave his mates a laugh too.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Don't confuse the idea of "first date" with "drag me around while you run errands with your navy buddies."
    And for sure don't confuse "taking me out to dinner" with "swinging through the chowhall line and getting two crappy hamburgers to go while I stay in the car with your buddies."

I did end up marrying the guy, but still give him crap about our first "date."
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Eat tacos.

Seriously, you cannot eat tacos in a ladylike way.

Sometimes eating the taco lands you a second date with her!

this.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I went out on a "first" with a woman I really liked. Never told her I am a paramedic. Ended up doing cpr on a man in line at a well known restaurant. The ambulance arrived and we soon discovered that I was the only paramedic on the scene. So, I am starting iv's, getting an ekg, and pushing meds without thinking. I looked back at my date and she was mortified. I ended up going in the ambulance with the patient to the hospital. My date eventually told me that my life is way too "exciting" for her tastes. Now I show up wearing an EMS jacket and I tell the person my occupation first
    '"

That would've got you banged on a first date.
  • DowntimeDesigns
    DowntimeDesigns Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about the future in general. I'm not a recreational dater, so if I don't see long-term potential on the first date, there won't be a second date. Some of the questions I would ask on the first date are how the guy feels about marriage and kids, where he hopes to be in his career in 5 years, etc. No need to get emotionally attached to someone who has very different views on pretty big issues, and I'm just not the kind of person to drag the "getting to know you" process out over four or five dates. Not when it comes to major things. I just don't have time for it.

Some girl asks me about Marriage or Kids on a first date, I'm getting the hell out of there! Don't get me wrong, I want both of those things, but talking about that on a first date is psycho status in my book. Honestly I think you would be better off going getting to know someone before that even comes up!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    That IS getting to know someone. If you know you want to get married (or don't want to get married), why would you be afraid to talk about that on the first date? It's not called being a pyscho. It's called knowing what you want and not having time to screw around with people who don't.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Set a wedding date
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Spend almost the entire dinner telling me how much of a man-*kitten* you are.

Yes, he wanted a second date.

No, he didn't get one.

O_o
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Never been on a date!

Someone send me there top 10 what not to do and what to do... Lol

No like seriously lol
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Talk non-stop about what is going on in celebrity land or abotu some drama on a reality tv show.
  • mzjessicab
    mzjessicab Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    share details about your Bi-polar condition......
    Gents please save that info for once you've reeled us in!:wink:
    Now that is hilarious....
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Don't stop on the way to the movies to meet your Grandma. True story, my first (and only) date with this guy and he takes me to meet his Grandma!
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I once met a guy online whom I thought was "ok". I wasn't initially romantically attracted to him but he was nice, so I thought "well, let's give this a little time just to see what happens".

It wasn't the first date, but the first time I went to his house. He proceeded to give me the 'tour'. It was a smallish house, only 2 bedrooms. When he opened the door to show me the second bedroom I couldn't believe what I saw. It was decked out ceiling to floor with Indiana Jones paraphernalia. I mean EVERYTHING. Bed sheets. Posters. Movies on a shelf, etc. And if memory serves me correct, there was a life-sized cardboard cutout of Indiana Jones in there too.

At first I thought he had a kid that he hadn't told me about yet -- but nope -- he just really liked Indiana Jones.

Needless to say, that romantic attachment NEVER happened!!!

Could have been worse. Star Wars for example. hahaha. Some people are odd!

OMG I dated one with this collection!! LOL
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I went out on a "first" with a woman I really liked. Never told her I am a paramedic. Ended up doing cpr on a man in line at a well known restaurant. The ambulance arrived and we soon discovered that I was the only paramedic on the scene. So, I am starting iv's, getting an ekg, and pushing meds without thinking. I looked back at my date and she was mortified. I ended up going in the ambulance with the patient to the hospital. My date eventually told me that my life is way too "exciting" for her tastes. Now I show up wearing an EMS jacket and I tell the person my occupation first
    '"

wait, that is SOOOO ****ty of her...id be honored to be dating someone who could save lives!!! good thing for you she said that...onto bigger and better things!!

Right!
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My worst first date ever...

I'm in a band and decided to go out on a date with a girl that frequently went to our shows. We had chatted at these shows previously, exchanged a few texts, and decided to meet up. We went out, had fun, had some food, some drinks, some laughs. And at the end of the night she invited me back to her place...

And introduced me to her husband and 2 year old son.

Dealbreaker.

what the *kitten* was she thinking??!!! as in like, no, seriously, what does one think this girl was thinking?

He kinda threw me off with the kid, I have no idea what she was thinking on that one, now if the kid wasn't involved...I think she might want to make herself into a human manwhich:laugh:
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    My worst first date ever...

I'm in a band and decided to go out on a date with a girl that frequently went to our shows. We had chatted at these shows previously, exchanged a few texts, and decided to meet up. We went out, had fun, had some food, some drinks, some laughs. And at the end of the night she invited me back to her place...

And introduced me to her husband and 2 year old son.

Dealbreaker.

what the *kitten* was she thinking??!!! as in like, no, seriously, what does one think this girl was thinking?

I'm thinking she's effing nuts!!! That post is so wrong on so many levels!
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Don't take phone calls on the first date... from anyone!!!

Don't offer to pay half (@ladies - this only appeals to cheap skates)

Don't take your date to a spicy or gaseous food restaurant

Don't pick a Suit & Tie restaurant

Don't compare your date to your X

Don't take your date to your house
  • krissagirl0709
    krissagirl0709 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Talk about her sister because you "know" her sister

Or her best friend lol..best friends can be like sisters =]