Food Stamps

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    'Thousands and thousands...' ? You don't know this for a fact, you're just tossing out words. What are your citations/sources for these facts?

How do you know you won't qualify for assistance? Go try.

Oh come on, don't deny it either. You think only a couple of people do this? Please.

& I did try. I don't qualify.

We figured it out people. She's totally hating that she can't get them! HAHAH.

Wow, that was really low class. Way to go making fun of someone working for a living who can't get help when she needs it. Applause to you. Bet you feel better now.

I do. Thanks love! <3

You owe the OP an apology. You are most decidedly picking on her and even rubbed it in her face that she can't get assistance when she needs it, and your claim otherwise is laughable given these comments.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It's not really what people are buying with foodstamps that bothers me as much as people who are abusing the assistance. I know people who don't work and keep having more kids just to get more from the state. Yet the people who are working and trying to make things better for them and their family don't get the help they need.

Tell me about it! I work my bony azz off for crap wages yet I can't afford health insurance and make "too much" for Medi-Cal and food stamps. There's so many of us in this grey area that make "too much" for that little bit of help yet make too little to be able to live decently. Yet there's so many that count on this money and they know how to work the system and the s hitbirds brag about it! Ugh!!!!!!!!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I feel I need to share a story with you all...

When I left my ex husband I had a 2.5 year old, hadn't had a job in 3 years (home raising our child), and had $17 dollars in my bank account.

The people that know me here know that I eat well. I am a vegan and my daughter never once had a drop of formula, I made every ounce of her baby food myself and kept her in cloth diapers 85% of the time. I never fed her packaged anything. She was my ONE shot at growing a happy healthy child and I took that job very seriously (still do now that she's almost a teenager).

I have a college degree and marketable skills in a number of industries. But I had $17 and no immediate prospects. I applied for Food Stamps and received them.

Buying my whole foods, fruits and vegetables to feed my daughter was HUMILIATING. Why? Because everyone in line looked at what was in my cart - looking for reasons to look down on me. I had to start shopping in the middle of the night in crappy grocery stores in bad neighborhoods where my selections were greatly limited to avoid the glowering looks by those that thought they were better than me.

After 3 weeks I gave up my food stamps so that they wouldn't go unused. Thankfully it was only a few more slightly hungry weeks before I had enough work to make up for the budget shortfall.

People have a stereotype of "welfare cases" - and I can assure you that's NOT reality. Sure, you may have seen some *kitten* abuse the privilege but you probably didn't see the dozens of others of poor single mothers who were forced to shop in the middle of the night to avoid you looking down on them.

:heart:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

When I left my ex husband I had a 2.5 year old, hadn't had a job in 3 years (home raising our child), and had $17 dollars in my bank account.

The people that know me here know that I eat well. I am a vegan and my daughter never once had a drop of formula, I made every ounce of her baby food myself and kept her in cloth diapers 85% of the time. I never fed her packaged anything. She was my ONE shot at growing a happy healthy child and I took that job very seriously (still do now that she's almost a teenager).

I have a college degree and marketable skills in a number of industries. But I had $17 and no immediate prospects. I applied for Food Stamps and received them.

Buying my whole foods, fruits and vegetables to feed my daughter was HUMILIATING. Why? Because everyone in line looked at what was in my cart - looking for reasons to look down on me. I had to start shopping in the middle of the night in crappy grocery stores in bad neighborhoods where my selections were greatly limited to avoid the glowering looks by those that thought they were better than me.

After 3 weeks I gave up my food stamps so that they wouldn't go unused. Thankfully it was only a few more slightly hungry weeks before I had enough work to make up for the budget shortfall.

People have a stereotype of "welfare cases" - and I can assure you that's NOT reality. Sure, you may have seen some *kitten* abuse the privilege but you probably didn't see the dozens of others of poor single mothers who were forced to shop in the middle of the night to avoid you looking down on them.

You are more amazing to me every single day.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options

First off, I'm sorry to hear this. But when is it going to resognate that I DONT look down on people who are on food stamps?? If I could be on food stamps I would because I seriously am BARELY getting by! And honestly, it breaks my heart when I see families buying food with food stamps and feel that they need to hide or pay with their heads down low. I know that there are plenty of people who deserve them. I just don't understand how many times I have to repeat this. My problem is with those who are already privileged, yet still receive food stamps.
  • IronmanPanda
    Options

You are more amazing to me every single day.

Thank you, I have that effect.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My problem is with those who are already privileged, yet still receive food stamps.

People get food stamps because their income/household size qualifies them. Sounds like you need to take your complaints to your congressman.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    You owe the OP an apology. You are most decidedly picking on her and even rubbed it in her face that she can't get assistance when she needs it, and your claim otherwise is laughable given these comments.

Thanks, girl, but I don't need an apology. She's a sociologist, so she's allowed to judge 'cause she has a degree & all :wink:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

My dear, there is absolutely no shame in feeding your children and for doing what you need to do to take care of them. That is the mark of a very brave and wonderful mother. Like the OP, I have no problem with helping people like you in a time of need. I'm happy you were able to get the help you needed.
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    'Thousands and thousands...' ? You don't know this for a fact, you're just tossing out words. What are your citations/sources for these facts?

How do you know you won't qualify for assistance? Go try.

Oh come on, don't deny it either. You think only a couple of people do this? Please.

& I did try. I don't qualify.

We figured it out people. She's totally hating that she can't get them! HAHAH.

Wow, that was really low class. Way to go making fun of someone working for a living who can't get help when she needs it. Applause to you. Bet you feel better now.

I do. Thanks love! <3

You're right dude. I totally did admit that I was picking on her. So I'm sorry. :flowerforyou:
  • IronmanPanda
    Options

Thanks, girl, but I don't need an apology. She's a sociologist, so she's allowed to judge 'cause she has a degree & all :wink:

Coming from you? I think you owe all of us an apology for posting this in the first place.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

First off, I'm sorry to hear this. But when is it going to resognate that I DONT look down on people who are on food stamps?? If I could be on food stamps I would because I seriously am BARELY getting by! And honestly, it breaks my heart when I see families buying food with food stamps and feel that they need to hide or pay with their heads down low. I know that there are plenty of people who deserve them. I just don't understand how many times I have to repeat this. My problem is with those who are already privileged, yet still receive food stamps.

You don't know people's circumstances. Who are you to judge?

I traded bookkeeping for someone who paid my cell bill. I got a computer from another person to use who I kept books for. My parents let me drive their (20 year old) Porsche. My clothes were decent (mostly GAP) because my ex husband was a VP at Bear Stearns when we were married and that's what I left with.

If you looked at me you might think my life was pretty well off - but I was surviving and bartering and borrowing until I could get on my feet. I got down to 110 pounds because I did not have an abundance to eat.

You can't know a person's life by looking at them. You can't.
  • kiminita
    Options

I'm not judging!! This is me speaking from a certain perspective. And I don't have the degree to make me an official sociologist yet, but I'm working on it.
  • kiminita
    Options

I'm not judging!! This is me speaking from a certain perspective. And I don't have the degree to make me an official sociologist yet, but I'm working on it.
    Every time I want to be like man that was mean, I shouldn't....something else is said that makes me not regret any bit of it. LOL. Who is doing the real judging here? I only want to engage you on critical level, that's all. <3
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I know that food stamps don't buy beer and cigarettes, but my point is if they have enough cash for beer and cigarettes, they shouldn't be getting food stamps. Those $50 they spent on booze & ciggys could go towards their food, instead.

lol.

Because that $50 would have bought all their groceries if only they had been buying healthier food, right?
    Do poor people not deserve to ever have things like alcohol and cigarettes? Maybe they choose to buy those things instead of new clothes, or instead of one of the many things you probably take for granted like seeing a movie or getting a haircut or buying new shoes when yours are worn out.
    Don't make assumptions about people, because the bottom line is you have NO idea what it's like to be poor. And being poor doesn't mean you're lazy. A TON of people are working minimum wage or are unemployed right now, even though they're trying their best. Odds are when you're poor enough to be on food stamps, all the comfort you GET is that junk food, alcohol, and cigarettes.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    You can't know a person's life by looking at them. You can't.

MrsC is one smart lady, the OP should take her advice.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    And to all of you who work hard for low wages that over qualify you for health care I sure hope you lobbied for Universal Healthcare. You're never too poor to be an activist.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    Coming from you? I think you owe all of us an apology for posting this in the first place.

Not gonna happen. I will not apologize for an observation; I didn't generalize, so that doesn't deserve an apology. And I'm not judging people who truly need food stamps and use them to feed themselves and their families. So no, no apology.
  • kiminita
    Options
    And to all of you who work hard for low wages that over qualify you for health care I sure hope you lobbied for Universal Healthcare. You're never too poor to be an activist.

You rock my socks! <3
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    in my country the government pays you up to the poverty line, which is higher than yours. Min wage is higher, which is why we don't tip. Our health care system is free for anyone although those earning over a certain amount must pay tax if they don't have private cover. But our schools aren't all free we supply books and are encouraged to donate or give levies for maths and science classes ect. NO BODY is looked down on for being on government assistance and you can stay on it as a mother until your youngest child is 6 (aka in school) then you need to enter work or studying to still qualify for it.

I have studied a lot of countries in depth, because that is what I like to do, but most recourse just have a general on what the America public feels about things. The idea of being ashamed of receiving government assistance is so odd to me because where I like you need a pretty good family income not to get assistance. In fact it is just against what I live in my country in everyday life. You are on assistance while you need it and when you get off you pay taxes and pay it back. Most of our middle class would of been on it at some point. So yes the idea of having shame or being looked down on for government assistance is a very odd thing to me
This discussion has been closed.