Food Stamps

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    You owe the OP an apology. You are most decidedly picking on her and even rubbed it in her face that she can't get assistance when she needs it, and your claim otherwise is laughable given these comments.

Thanks, girl, but I don't need an apology. She's a sociologist, so she's allowed to judge 'cause she has a degree & all :wink:

I'm not judging!! This is me speaking from a certain perspective. And I don't have the degree to make me an official sociologist yet, but I'm working on it.
    Every time I want to be like man that was mean, I shouldn't....something else is said that makes me not regret any bit of it. LOL. Who is doing the real judging here? I only want to engage you on critical level, that's all. <3

So attacking someone then bragging about it is a nice way to engage in critical debate? That's a very sad way of doing business. Didn't they teach to you communicate effectively sans ad hominem arguments in sociology school?
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    Don't make assumptions about people, because the bottom line is you have NO idea what it's like to be poor. And being poor doesn't mean you're lazy. A TON of people are working minimum wage or are unemployed right now, even though they're trying their best. Odds are when you're poor enough to be on food stamps, all the comfort you GET is that junk food, alcohol, and cigarettes.

You obviously haven't been reading what I've been posting. I DO have an idea what it's like to be poor.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I didn't generalize, so that doesn't deserve an apology. And I'm not judging people who truly need food stamps and use them to feed themselves and their families. So no, no apology.
    I noticed that a lot of people who are on food stamps buy a lot of junk food. Why? I mean, it's money that's free to them; shouldn't they use it for healthy food? And how come a lot of people who are on food stamps either overweight or obese?

Generalization, much?
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    I didn't generalize, so that doesn't deserve an apology. And I'm not judging people who truly need food stamps and use them to feed themselves and their families. So no, no apology.
    I noticed that a lot of people who are on food stamps buy a lot of junk food. Why? I mean, it's money that's free to them; shouldn't they use it for healthy food? And how come a lot of people who are on food stamps either overweight or obese?

Generalization, much?

You cut off the part where I said that not all people who are on foodstamps are unhealthy, hun :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Generalization, much?

Cherry picking much?
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    'Thousands and thousands...' ? You don't know this for a fact, you're just tossing out words. What are your citations/sources for these facts?

How do you know you won't qualify for assistance? Go try.

Oh come on, don't deny it either. You think only a couple of people do this? Please.

& I did try. I don't qualify.

We figured it out people. She's totally hating that she can't get them! HAHAH.

Bingo.
  • Herownself
    Herownself Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Last year our school challenged any willing families to live on a food stamp budget for one week. I found it really hard to feed our family within those restrictions. If you are interested in giving it a try yourself here are a couple links.

http://foodstampchallenge.typepad.com/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/10/congressman-family-live-on-food-stamps-for-a-week/
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You owe the OP an apology. You are most decidedly picking on her and even rubbed it in her face that she can't get assistance when she needs it, and your claim otherwise is laughable given these comments.

Thanks, girl, but I don't need an apology. She's a sociologist, so she's allowed to judge 'cause she has a degree & all :wink:

I'm not judging!! This is me speaking from a certain perspective. And I don't have the degree to make me an official sociologist yet, but I'm working on it.
    Every time I want to be like man that was mean, I shouldn't....something else is said that makes me not regret any bit of it. LOL. Who is doing the real judging here? I only want to engage you on critical level, that's all. <3

So attacking someone then bragging about it is a nice way to engage in critical debate? That's a very sad way of doing business. Didn't they teach to you communicate effectively sans ad hominem arguments in sociology school?

Oh come on give me a break. Follow the entire conversation and then you'll see why I got frustrated and did that. But I apologized for it. So...no credit for that? Text on a computer screen doesn't include the intonation changes you might hear in my voice to indicate sarcasm and other types of gestures or emotions. I'm sorry for being mean. There. what more do you want?
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options

First off, I'm sorry to hear this. But when is it going to resognate that I DONT look down on people who are on food stamps?? If I could be on food stamps I would because I seriously am BARELY getting by! And honestly, it breaks my heart when I see families buying food with food stamps and feel that they need to hide or pay with their heads down low. I know that there are plenty of people who deserve them. I just don't understand how many times I have to repeat this. My problem is with those who are already privileged, yet still receive food stamps.

You don't know people's circumstances. Who are you to judge?

I traded bookkeeping for someone who paid my cell bill. I got a computer from another person to use who I kept books for. My parents let me drive their (20 year old) Porsche. My clothes were decent (mostly GAP) because my ex husband was a VP at Bear Stearns when we were married and that's what I left with.

If you looked at me you might think my life was pretty well off - but I was surviving and bartering and borrowing until I could get on my feet. I got down to 110 pounds because I did not have an abundance to eat.

You can't know a person's life by looking at them. You can't.

I posted this earlier, perhaps you didn't see it:

"Not once did I say all people on food stamps do this. But too many people do. And heck yes I'm hating that I don't qualify lol. WTF, I need it more than other folks do. Honestly, it pisses me off that my old friend can afford to have her smart phone and buy her high-end makeup but is on food stamps. Grrrrr! I have to just pay the basics: rent, utilities, phone, food, school, and I don't qualify. BTW, this computer and internet service? My parent's, not mine. My smartphone? I'm on my parent's family plan and only pay $10 for my line, and I bought my iphone when I was working and could afford it."

I too have clothes from nice stores, I have makeup that cost me $60 an ounce, I have a flat-screen, all stuff that I bought while I was working.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    ive never personally have been on food stamps, but my mother was on them when i was growing up. her, 3 kids + long-term boyfriend to feed. yes it would have been healthier to spend them on fruits and veggies and lean meats, but those dont go as far. we ate a lot of hamburger helper and canned veggies.. white bread and butter. im not saying its right, but its sad when people feel they have to make the no-so-healthy choice to feed everyone in the family for a longer period of time. yes, there are people that abuse it. yes it sucks, but until we get to a point in our country where people can feed their families healthy food on lower incomes, thats whats going to happen.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I worked as a cashier for Wal-Mart for a few years ago. I agree, it is a bit disturbing to see a couple buy $200 in soda and frozen pizza with food stamps and then purchase a carton of cigarettes, electronics and other miscellaneous items with cash.

See, I can make it seem like you made a nice big fat generalization too.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Don't make assumptions about people, because the bottom line is you have NO idea what it's like to be poor. And being poor doesn't mean you're lazy. A TON of people are working minimum wage or are unemployed right now, even though they're trying their best. Odds are when you're poor enough to be on food stamps, all the comfort you GET is that junk food, alcohol, and cigarettes.

You obviously haven't been reading what I've been posting. I DO have an idea what it's like to be poor.
    Grrrrr! I have to just pay the basics: rent, utilities, phone, food, school, and I don't qualify. BTW, this computer and internet service? My parent's, not mine. My smartphone? I'm on my parent's family plan and only pay $10 for my line, and I bought my iphone when I was working and could afford it."

So you're living off mommy and daddy... and we should feel bad for you.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

Didn't you say you didn't qualify for food stamps? Hmmm... obviously you're not THAT poor, then. ;) If your income doesn't qualify you, then "Just scraping by" probably means you manage your money poorly.
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Be thankful you have family who will help you during a hard time. MANY people do not. thus, they access services they qualify for. You're missing your blessings and fortune right under your nose.
    Not once did I say all people on food stamps do this. But too many people do. And heck yes I'm hating that I don't qualify lol. WTF, I need it more than other folks do. Honestly, it pisses me off that my old friend can afford to have her smart phone and buy her high-end makeup but is on food stamps. Grrrrr! I have to just pay the basics: rent, utilities, phone, food, school, and I don't qualify. BTW, this computer and internet service? My parent's, not mine. My smartphone? I'm on my parent's family plan and only pay $10 for my line, and I bought my iphone when I was working and could afford it. For those of you nosey people who wanted to know.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Didn't you say you didn't qualify for food stamps? Hmmm... obviously you're not THAT poor, then. ;) If your income doesn't qualify you, then "Just scraping by" probably means you manage your money poorly.

Didn't you just get done saying how the OP shouldn't pass judgement on what people buy with food stamps and how their circumstances are unknowable and yet you come on here and say that she must not be "that" poor and must manage her funds poorly? Um..... really?
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options

Grrrrr! I have to just pay the basics: rent, utilities, phone, food, school, and I don't qualify. BTW, this computer and internet service? My parent's, not mine. My smartphone? I'm on my parent's family plan and only pay $10 for my line, and I bought my iphone when I was working and could afford it."

So you're living off mommy and daddy... and we should feel bad for you.

You can feel bad for me if you want. And nope, I don't live off them. I pay my own rent, utilities, phone, food, school, etc. I was simply saying that I'm using their computer right now. Yep, they help me out, but they can't help me out much either.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Be thankful you have family who will help you during a hard time. MANY people do not. thus, they access services they qualify for. You're missing your blessings and fortune right under your nose.
    Not once did I say all people on food stamps do this. But too many people do. And heck yes I'm hating that I don't qualify lol. WTF, I need it more than other folks do. Honestly, it pisses me off that my old friend can afford to have her smart phone and buy her high-end makeup but is on food stamps. Grrrrr! I have to just pay the basics: rent, utilities, phone, food, school, and I don't qualify. BTW, this computer and internet service? My parent's, not mine. My smartphone? I'm on my parent's family plan and only pay $10 for my line, and I bought my iphone when I was working and could afford it. For those of you nosey people who wanted to know.

Amen.
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Dropping that knowledge! We must all learn to be humble and understand and appreciate what we DO have. Seems easier only in its absence.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options

I'm not THAT poor? WHAT? I have swollen glands in my throat and I can't afford to go to the doctor, but I must not be THAT poor? I don't know if I'm going to be able to afford anything for thanksgiving dinner, so I must not be THAT poor? Girl, please.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    As an obese person with a bachelors degree in education who is currently disabled and on food stamps, I am somewhat offended.

I don't think you should be paying so much attention to what they have in their cart or how they are paying.

I'm not trying to start an argument really, I am not. Your generalizations are irritating to me. If I want to have a frozen pizza or have $10.00 to spend on a pack of cigs and choose to do that instead of buy 5 pounds of broccoli just ring it up.

I totally agree. I get food stamp too and I don't think it has to do with being stupid or lazy. I am on food stamp becuase I am recieving disabilty from Social Security. How many of you volunteered at your local food bank? If not, you have NO IDEA what they can offer us and if we are hungry, we will take it, no matter if it's fatty or not. So personally,, I see no harm to have special treat like Pizza once in a while. It's like taking a vacation from whatever they can get at foodbank.
This discussion has been closed.