Food Stamps

Options
1234568»

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Just on another vein, I've found that being a student and qualifying for food stamps is hard. I think they expect students to be poor. I am living almost completely on federal loans and tried to get food stamps, but they wouldn't even consider me unless I was working a certain amount of hours a week, which wasn't allowed by my school.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

Didn't you say you didn't qualify for food stamps? Hmmm... obviously you're not THAT poor, then. ;) If your income doesn't qualify you, then "Just scraping by" probably means you manage your money poorly.

I'm not THAT poor? WHAT? I have swollen glands in my throat and I can't afford to go to the doctor, but I must not be THAT poor? I don't know if I'm going to be able to afford anything for thanksgiving dinner, so I must not be THAT poor? Girl, please.

Your parents let you use their computer and internet but won't let you come over for Thanksgiving?
    You should trade them in for better parents.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Just on another vein, I've found that being a student and qualifying for food stamps is hard. I think they expect students to be poor. I am living almost completely on federal loans and tried to get food stamps, but they wouldn't even consider me unless I was working a certain amount of hours a week, which wasn't allowed by my school.

This is very true and something that needs to be addressed especially for students who have no familial financial support or scholarships.
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Didn't you say you didn't qualify for food stamps? Hmmm... obviously you're not THAT poor, then. ;) If your income doesn't qualify you, then "Just scraping by" probably means you manage your money poorly.

I'm not THAT poor? WHAT? I have swollen glands in my throat and I can't afford to go to the doctor, but I must not be THAT poor? I don't know if I'm going to be able to afford anything for thanksgiving dinner, so I must not be THAT poor? Girl, please.

Ok guys, in her defense, that type of accusation simply isn't fair. we are not about to compete over who has it worse, are we? We all have our own context. Let's be constructive here please. It's a MESSED UP system when we don't qualify for food stamps but can't afford health care. Let's look at structures here people!! And how structures shape our lives in this way. Question the system not the people stuck in it! Obviously without disregarding agency.
  • 1234terri
    1234terri Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You did generalize about a couple who had junky food in their shopping basket.

So, all the people who get food stamps should wear signs that either say, "I'm qualified for these food stamps" and the ones gaming the system, can wear signs that say "I'm getting food stamps illegally". Then you'll know who 'truly' needs them.
    Coming from you? I think you owe all of us an apology for posting this in the first place.

Not gonna happen. I will not apologize for an observation; I didn't generalize, so that doesn't deserve an apology. And I'm not judging people who truly need food stamps and use them to feed themselves and their families. So no, no apology.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    Your parents let you use their computer and internet but won't let you come over for Thanksgiving?
    You should trade them in for better parents.

Ya, because this dinosaur of a computer and $10 internet service is the stuff of the wealthy.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I noticed that a lot of people who are on food stamps buy a lot of junk food. Why? I mean, it's money that's free to them; shouldn't they use it for healthy food? And how come a lot of people who are on food stamps either overweight or obese? Just an observation, so don't overreact. I know not ALL people on food stamps are obese.

Although she stated that not "ALL" people on food stamps are obese, she implied that a large amount of them are. Even with the latter part of her statement included, the term "generalization" still fits. When you add the latter part of my post to what you quoted, I don't sound like a judgmental as$.

generalization (noun): a proposition asserting something to be true either of all members of a certain class or of an indefinite part of that class.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    It's a MESSED UP system when we don't qualify for food stamps but can't afford health care.

Absolutely. Part of that should be helping people on food stamps make better choices in their food as well and making it feasible for them to do so.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Locking this for now.

Its 5.30 am and i'm on my phone so will assess properly and deal with it when I have access to the computer.

CatCrazy
    MFP Forum Moderator

Its staying locked and will be deleted shortly.

Please refrain from hurtful sweeping generalisations, they serve no purpose and invariably end up as heated slanging matches.
This discussion has been closed.