Say your 15 yr old daughter requests Birth Control

Options
Iamfit4life
Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
What do you say?

I was at the doctors office yesterday and saw a similar situation. Made me wonder WTF I am going to do in 10 years! lol

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Since I have no daughter, I feel comfortable in saying this.

1) buy a gun
    2) invite her boyfriend over for dinner
    3) spend the entire night cleaning and checking the site
    4) overreact
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    Better be safe than sorry. It is an inevitable occurrence, you know? Personally, I'd rather be informed about it than have it done behind my back. But I am not a parent yet, so my view is still clear on the issue.
  • goforkissy
    goforkissy Posts: 157 Member
    Options

1) buy a gun
    4) overreact

I agree with this!

I have a 13 year old son, so I think I would do the same if he asked me for condoms.
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Omg...My daughter is only 5 months old. Don't even want to think about this.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Not an ideal situation, but I prefer having my 15-year old on the pill than come home pregnant!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

1) buy a gun
    4) overreact
    Good thing you don't have a daughter, then. That's an unrealistic and unhelpful attitude. She would end up getting pregnant because of unprotected sex.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i'm not a parent either, but my concern would be that if she's on birth control, then guys could easily talk themselves out of using a condom. too many std's for that.

edited to add: i think i would prefer my daughter to come home pregnant than to contract aids.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

1) buy a gun
    4) overreact

I agree with this!

I have a 13 year old son, so I think I would do the same if he asked me for condoms.
    Good luck when he does decide to have sex, then, because he will be knocking someone up due to your "parenting".
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    YES! Be thankful she asked before it was too late (and that she can talk to you about it).
  • mezzosoprano89
    mezzosoprano89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There are other reasons for teenagers to be on the pill. I started it when I was in high school, and it wasn't because I was sexually active (because I wasn't...and still am not) it was because I had terrible acne and incredibly painful heavy irregular periods, the pill does a lot more than just protect you from getting pregnant.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    If they are reqeusting it they most likely already need it, and are trying to do the right thing. If you discuss sex with your kids and are honest and approachable they are not going to need to go behind your back.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    i'm not a parent either, but my concern would be that if she's on birth control, then guys could easily talk themselves out of using a condom. too many std's for that.

this is *kind of* my thinking.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Not a parent, but its going to happen......so would you rather buy the pill, or diapers? I would go with the pill.....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I had my daughter when I was 17. I was in total denial that "people like me" (upper middle class family, professional parents and grandparents, honor roll student, didn't drink or do drugs, etc.) didn't get pregnant in high school.

If my daughter felt she needed it, I would help her get it, while also talking about diseases and things like that so she would also use condoms and be smart about sex. You can't stop your kids from having sex if they want to do it, but you can assist them in making sure that one not-so-great decision doesn't impact the rest of their lives.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    At least she is responsible enough to request Birth Control.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Not an ideal situation, but I prefer having my 15-year old on the pill than come home pregnant!

i agree. it's not the best idea but they will probably do it anyway if they are thinking that way, might as well help them be prepared.
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    I think about the same thing, my daughter only two and I pray she become a nun lol j/k. If she ask for me it I would ask her why, are you sexually active. I would want her on it for her safety. I figure its better to be safe then sorry.
  • drpurl
    drpurl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just had this happen to me this summer with my step-daughter but she was 14. I said yes but since I was only the step-mom, I didn't have much weight. She is no longer active but we don't let her run around town like she does at moms.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Its better that she ask for it then not. The only problem is people (kids) forget that it might keep them from getting pregnant, but not keep them safe from STD's. The subject regarding condoms and birth control pills should be approached before its necessary because most kids don't think ahead and they are asking after the fact. My daughter is 9 and I know that this conversation is only a few years away. If it is going to happen I'd rather have her be safe then have her be a mom at a really young age. :)
  • smashatoms
    smashatoms Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If kids want to have sex-- they are going to have sex.
    Although I am not a parent, I'd rather see my daughter taking an active roll in protecting herself from becoming pregnant and ruining her entire future.
    I would also educate her on why it is necessary to still use condoms while on birth control, for the protection against STI's and HIV/AIDS.

Oh, and because I am a science nerd, I would proceed to show her pictures of said STI's.
    Terror and disgust is the ultimate form of knowledge, in this case.