Drop fat and gain muscle!!! Newbies Read this.

Options
Its really simple!

Set up myfitnesspal the correct way for loosing fat and gaining muscle.
This is not a cookie cutter program gang!
You cant just say i'm this and that and MFP just spits out 1200 calories!
It's just that stupid!
So heres how to set it up for success.

These numbers have worked for a lot of people.

here we go...

On the main page you click: Settings>goals>change goals>customize>continue...
Set calories to 1800-2000
Set Carbs to 40%
Set Protein to 30%
Fat will auto to 30%

You need carbs for energy!
This is crucial on days when you work out!
Good carbs like oatmeal, bananas and apples, Brown rice and whole grain pasta.
Too little carbs and you putter out midday and want to sleep!
If for some reason you think its too much then lower your carbs on the days you DONT WORK OUT!
You should be replacing carbs on these days with PROTEIN!

Protein contains the building blocks for MUSCLE!
You want muscle because it raises your lean body mass.
A quick note...if you are cutting your calories too much you will gain no muscle at all!
So its important that we make a slow trade off!

Fat is fantastic!
Not the kind found in cupcakes but the kind found in Nuts, avocados, olives, olive oil, nuts nuts nuts!
Its the good monounsaturated fats that you want!
Add these to EVERY MEAL!

Monos work very differently from standard saturated fat.
An easy way to describe it....
Imagine your arteries with the blood pumping.
You eat a cupcake or a brownie.
The saturated fat flows through your arteries like nails.
This isnt good right?
Lets say you replaced that cupcake with 1/4 cup of pistachios!
YUM!
Monounsaturated fatty acids are said to lubricate the arteries.
It flows like a spaghetti noodle all the way through.
For us guys it helps regulate testosterone!
BOOOHYAH!!!!

On this diet setting you must work out 3 times a week and do cardio twice.
Youll drop the fat and maintain the muscle.
Some peeps will be close to maintenance cals on this if they swing closer to the 2k side and possibly gain muscle!
Besides its winter where I am and maybe not loosing fat at an accelerated rate would be helpful until possibly march when a solid cut should happen.

The purpose of this post is because I see my friends diaries and 99% of the protein readings are hitting around 50g a day.
Thats not even enough for a mouse to gain muscle!
I'm not talking about musclebound beefcake looking people!
Im talking about beautiful lean healthy muscle.

Hugs to you all!

Replies

• cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i agree with the 40-30-30, however if i ate 1800-2000 calories a day i wouldnt lose any weight lol
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Great post--
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    i agree with the 40-30-30, however if i ate 1800-2000 calories a day i wouldnt lose any weight lol

Its a safe trade off and to be honest I was still loosing weight at maintenance because my maintenance had changed!
    You could scale it down to 20% above BMR and loose fat but not muscle.

do you know your BMR?
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    nice read thank ye sir!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    This is basically what I do. I average 1800-1900 calories a day, but I do workout a lot. Otherwise I would have to stick around 1400-1500 (which is nearly impossible for me now lol)
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Ok - I'm curious:

How does exercise fit into this to make it work? How much? What kind?

How does current weight fit into this? Will this work the same for people who need to lose 90lbs and for people who only need to lose 10lbs?

What other factors am I missing?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    YES! But most of these people don't lift weights to build muscle! LOL They literally just want to drop pounds. I'll think of those settings when I'm trying to bulk up again. Right now I'm trying to lower body fat and have custom settings based on a bodybuilding.com calculator for carb cycling.

Good try! Maybe you can get people to maintain the muscle they do have so they don't lose that with all their fat.
  • cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Its a safe trade off and to be honest I was still loosing weight at maintenance because my maintenance had changed!

do you know your BMR?

so when you say move it to 1800-2000 cals is this with eating exercise calories back? Your estimated BMR is: 1,324 calories/day
  • amom2threekids
    Options
    Thanks .. Great Post!!!!
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

do you know your BMR?

so you wouldn't lose any muscle in a caloric deficit? most people will have an activity factor greater 1.2

and recomping, not so easy. bulk/cut cycles will prob yield faster results in either direction
  • silverfox678
    silverfox678 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post... This is the advice i had been looking for in order to understand how to put my meals together. Thanks again!
  • bitzee
    bitzee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    On your advice Ive changed my carb/fat/protein to these settings but dont think 1800 cals will work for me, I want to lose 25lb (ish) and Im 5"4 so will stick to my 1300. I exercise every day and eat back the majority of my exercise cals too. I do circuit training so ive been upping my protein anyway so im willing to give this a go. Also been eating more nuts and seeds so looks like im on the right track :)
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1722.
    MFP tells me to eat 1270.

My carbs are 50%, fat 25% and protein 25%.....

By putting my calorie range to what you said 1800-1900 I think I would gain weight since my BMR is 1722......??? HELP.
  • hatravers
    hatravers Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Building muscle increases your resting metabolism... Eating less slows it down... And you lose muscle!
  • funkythreads2004
    funkythreads2004 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hmmm will give it a try, although im only putting my calories upto 1400, and see how i go, as there is no way i could eat 2000 a day comfortably. I swim twice a week and walk 20 mins a day 5 days a week on the school run, so im not inactive, but i dont seem to lose anything after losing a stone. However, im really not very fat now, i just need to tone up a bit, so have also started on the Xbox kinect shape up game. OMG what killer that is, my legs feel like they are falling off today lol!!!! I have also noticed that now its got colder, im more hungry, perhaps my body is telling me i need more fat for winter, but i will try extra jumpers instead. Lets see if the increased calories and protein, carbs and fat make a difference ;-)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

do you know your BMR?

so you wouldn't lose any muscle in a caloric deficit? most people will have an activity factor greater 1.2

and recomping, not so easy. bulk/cut cycles will prob yield faster results in either direction

I'm on the same page as you but for new people they arent seeing the damage done by cutting cals 1400 down to 1200 and eating 30-50g of protein.
    They are cutting carbs because they still believe carbs are the enemy.
    They hate the word fat even though fat is essential.

I'm on an appx 40/30/30 and eating up to 3k calories as a gain.

the fact is people arnet doing the research and just cutting calories and its causing them to stall out.
    then they swandive from the wagon into a cupcake!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Its really simple!

Set up myfitnesspal the correct way for loosing fat and gaining muscle.
    This is not a cookie cutter program gang!
    You cant just say i'm this and that and MFP just spits out 1200 calories!
    It's just that stupid!
    So heres how to set it up for success.

These numbers have worked for a lot of people.

here we go...

On the main page you click: Settings>goals>change goals>customize>continue...
    Set calories to 1800-2000
    Set Carbs to 40%
    Set Protein to 30%
    Fat will auto to 30%

You need carbs for energy!
    This is crucial on days when you work out!
    Good carbs like oatmeal, bananas and apples, Brown rice and whole grain pasta.
    Too little carbs and you putter out midday and want to sleep!
    If for some reason you think its too much then lower your carbs on the days you DONT WORK OUT!
    You should be replacing carbs on these days with PROTEIN!

Protein contains the building blocks for MUSCLE!
    You want muscle because it raises your lean body mass.
    A quick note...if you are cutting your calories too much you will gain no muscle at all!
    So its important that we make a slow trade off!

Fat is fantastic!
    Not the kind found in cupcakes but the kind found in Nuts, avocados, olives, olive oil, nuts nuts nuts!
    Its the good monounsaturated fats that you want!
    Add these to EVERY MEAL!

Monos work very differently from standard saturated fat.
    An easy way to describe it....
    Imagine your arteries with the blood pumping.
    You eat a cupcake or a brownie.
    The saturated fat flows through your arteries like nails.
    This isnt good right?
    Lets say you replaced that cupcake with 1/4 cup of pistachios!
    YUM!
    Monounsaturated fatty acids are said to lubricate the arteries.
    It flows like a spaghetti noodle all the way through.
    For us guys it helps regulate testosterone!
    BOOOHYAH!!!!

On this diet setting you must work out 3 times a week and do cardio twice.
    Youll drop the fat and maintain the muscle.
    Some peeps will be close to maintenance cals on this if they swing closer to the 2k side and possibly gain muscle!
    Besides its winter where I am and maybe not loosing fat at an accelerated rate would be helpful until possibly march when a solid cut should happen.

The purpose of this post is because I see my friends diaries and 99% of the protein readings are hitting around 50g a day.
    Thats not even enough for a mouse to gain muscle!
    I'm not talking about musclebound beefcake looking people!
    Im talking about beautiful lean healthy muscle.

Hugs to you all!

1. You said gain muscle in the title, in your post you said maintain muscle.
    2. I agree with the maintain muscle, you won't gain a lot of muscle mass this way, its near impossible to gain muscle and cut same time, especially only lifting 3 times a week.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Can you post any evidence that supports this view, or at least some credentials that prove you know what you're talking about and not just saying what works for you?

You don't want MFP to be a cookie cutter program, but you're giving every person a cookie cutter suggestion.

P.S. Spelling things wrong is a not a good way to gain credibility.