Drop fat and gain muscle!!! Newbies Read this.

Options

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I guess I just care too much.

You keep saying this...what is it exactly you care so much about? Being right? Being praised for your advice? I'm just curious...

If you care, then please understand the purpose of tone. I'm trying to be helpful here. If you want to give advice, please do so by explicitly pointing out the caveats and conditions to your advice. It is not the magic answer, it is an opinion.
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna BUMP this so I can have a proper sit an read through later...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Will do!
    I've been told by friends that i'm overly passionate about the things I do.

@wildcata77 I dont look for praise. I dont think im right about everything. Im just on this amazing ride that has brought me and my wife a lot of happiness. I look like I did when I graduated high school but with better definition. I'm a 37 year old guy who looks 10 years younger as opposed to 6 months ago when I was folding my extra large tee shirts and my size 36x30 jeans. I get up every day and I kiss my wife and start my day with healthy living in mind and I'd love to pass that along to other people.
    If you take a look at your responses I see a lot of bitterness that shows the exact opposite of that beautiful smile of yours.
    Are you against people who are passionate with what they do?
    Probably not but you come off a bit snarky.
    I care because I do!
    It's in my programing from the day I was born.
    You can accept it for what it is or not but thats on you.
    Hugs and I hope it gets better!
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I am not going to listen to others when it comes to absolutes on eating because THERE ARE NO abosultes, you are not experts and neither am I. So give advice and go on stop getting mad or act hollier then tho because you lost weight. WHAT WORKS FOR ONE WONT ALWAYS WORK FOR THE OTHER WE ALL HAVE TO FIND WHAT WORKS FOR " OUR BODY"

actually you're wrong, eating in a caloric deficit results in weight loss, works for everyone

True. But it does not work the same for everyone. Certain diseases or other medical problems can affect metabolism and weight loss.
    There's always the exception to the rule and someone with medical issues pertaining to metabolism would need further education, but for the vast majority of the population 99% the metabolism and thermodynamics apply. Personally i get tired of people saying well not everyone is the same......you know what they are the same. the problem is different solutions work for different people because of the simple fact that the common denominator for weight loss is never ever going to be consistanly correct...too many factors that effect the out side of the energy balance equation are simply not factored into the math equation that most here will employ to lose weight. If we forgot about BMR altogether and simply through recording what we eat to maintain our weight to find TDEE then creat a defict all of those unseen and not factored in enomolies that effect weight loss will no longer be the plight of the thousands that look to a calculator for guidance, with I'm different being th logical answer. It's simply miscalculation based on minimal information that makes everyone different.....TDEE evens the playing field.
    Well i have been eating low calorie and i have not lost any yet since lasy april, When i lost the 70 pounds i was eating alot of calories yet i ate things that were high in neutrients. So no im not wrong for me!. My point i made earlier, :)
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Will do!
    I've been told by friends that i'm overly passionate about the things I do.

@wildcata77 If you take a look at your responses I see a lot of bitterness that shows the exact opposite of that beautiful smile of yours.
    Are you against people who are passionate with what they do?
    Probably not but you come off a bit snarky.
    I care because I do!
    It's in my programing from the day I was born.
    You can accept it for what it is or not but thats on you.
    Hugs and I hope it gets better!

Hmmm....it hadn't occured to me that I might come off as snarky.

I just prefer my passion with a side of realistic expectations, countered by some fact-based knowledge, and topped off with proper grammar and punctuation. It's working for me lately. I'm happy. I just don't type with excess exclamation points. Positivity and passion doesn't mean reckless, overtly happy expression. There are other ways to be positive and passionate.

In any case, when it comes to your theories here, I agree with the posters who say you shouldn't make a broad "newbies read this!" type of exclamation when this is not fact-based advice, but simply sharing what has worked for you to increase muscle mass. Lots of us "newbies" are here in the beginning stages, just looking to lose the excess fat before trying to gain a bunch of muscle (which, as a woman, I am not looking to do anyway).

Good luck to you.:drinker:
  • Edithrenee
    Options
    why is it everytime someone is on here and they post what works for them they get a lot of neg responses? I mean really, if it works for them why are you going to argue with them.. I get so sick of seeing all the negitivity you guys, i mean come on not every body is them same. I think if this worked for him great it may work for someone else. What worked for you may work for someone else or it may not... Why cant we be okay with what others are doing to lose weight as long as there not starving or doing things utterly unhealthy.

I agree with your point, but the OP didn't post "this is what works for me". It reads as "this is what will work for everyone". And in reading the responses, I appears that is what people have a problem with.
    Im just saying every time i read something like this i hear all the negitive things, it seems we are sll hear for the same reason. It just irritating to hear people act like know it alls. lol
  • Edithrenee
    Options
    By the way what is TDEE ? See i dont know everyhting either lol.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am not going to listen to others when it comes to absolutes on eating because THERE ARE NO abosultes, you are not experts and neither am I. So give advice and go on stop getting mad or act hollier then tho because you lost weight. WHAT WORKS FOR ONE WONT ALWAYS WORK FOR THE OTHER WE ALL HAVE TO FIND WHAT WORKS FOR " OUR BODY"

actually you're wrong, eating in a caloric deficit results in weight loss, works for everyone

True. But it does not work the same for everyone. Certain diseases or other medical problems can affect metabolism and weight loss.
    There's always the exception to the rule and someone with medical issues pertaining to metabolism would need further education, but for the vast majority of the population 99% the metabolism and thermodynamics apply. Personally i get tired of people saying well not everyone is the same......you know what they are the same. the problem is different solutions work for different people because of the simple fact that the common denominator for weight loss is never ever going to be consistanly correct...too many factors that effect the out side of the energy balance equation are simply not factored into the math equation that most here will employ to lose weight. If we forgot about BMR altogether and simply through recording what we eat to maintain our weight to find TDEE then creat a defict all of those unseen and not factored in enomolies that effect weight loss will no longer be the plight of the thousands that look to a calculator for guidance, with I'm different being th logical answer. It's simply miscalculation based on minimal information that makes everyone different.....TDEE evens the playing field.

^ agreed

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Well i have been eating low calorie and i have not lost any yet since lasy april, When i lost the 70 pounds i was eating alot of calories yet i ate things that were high in neutrients. So no im not wrong for me!. My point i made earlier, :)
    then go eat more food. Metabolisms get screwed up that's for sure, but it will, like I said be calculated into your TDEE. I guess you totally missed my point.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    why is it everytime someone is on here and they post what works for them they get a lot of neg responses? I mean really, if it works for them why are you going to argue with them.. I get so sick of seeing all the negitivity you guys, i mean come on not every body is them same. I think if this worked for him great it may work for someone else. What worked for you may work for someone else or it may not... Why cant we be okay with what others are doing to lose weight as long as there not starving or doing things utterly unhealthy.

I agree with your point, but the OP didn't post "this is what works for me". It reads as "this is what will work for everyone". And in reading the responses, I appears that is what people have a problem with.
    Im just saying every time i read something like this i hear all the negitive things, it seems we are sll hear for the same reason. It just irritating to hear people act like know it alls. lol

Exactly. The OP's tone was "know-it-all" and we were responding to that. We are all on the same side here.
  • masterfitness4u
    Options
    Awesome post. Mine is set at 40-40-20 carb, protein, fat. That works well. I agree, even women need protein to feed their muscles. more muscles = more cals burn during the day. Carbs are the main source of energy for your body, not enough and you will be fatigued during your WO. Eat carbs nd some protein 1.5hrs before your WO and your will be charged up and ready to go. My best wo have been when I have eaten real food prior to it. As long as you are cal defciet each day and keep your sodium lvls around 1500mg or lower a day, the weight will drop off.
  • cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I love the negativity!
    I also type on a very very small keyboard and i'm impatient so the spelling is meh in my book.

I'll say it over and over again that people are eating too few calories and expecting substantial results.
    They need to set realistic goals and understand that just because MFP says 1200 calories and gives them set macros that it isnt the answer.
    These are the same people that will loose some weight but also lower their LBM if they do exactly what MFP offers!
    It should be a tradeoff!
    Lower fat% higher LBM%.
    We can go back and forth on this all day long but the fact is we need to help these peeps and not beat each other up.
    How often are you guys telling friends that they did a great job eating below calories when they only ate 800 calories and ran for 20 mins at a high pace burning 200 calories.
    If im wrong then i accept that but I dont think the beatdown by some members is truly necessary.
    If these ideas dont stick well then dont follow them.
    I get a lot of my info from other forums and reading the books.
    The friends who have been trying this are seeing results and have thanked me for helping them.
    I saw results when I did them.
    Now i'm scaling things up for a slow gain with minimal fat gain.
    I guess I just care too much.

well then in your eyes im eating too few calories, except get this.............. i am getting results.......... but you should be happy to know i just half a large pizza in your name........ maybe ill lose 5lbs by tomorrow lmao!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    My info is from many sources.
    bodybuilding.com
    The flat Belly Diet
    The Abs Diet
    Feed the muscle burn the fat
    fitnessblackandwhite.com

I do use a lot of "!" dont I?!
    =D
    Passion!
    Off to work! Thanks for the replies gang and i'll be back in 12 hours!
    Hugs to you all!
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    May i see your credentials?
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    oh and on your recomendations i will successfully be back to 250 pounds by christmas
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think I will give this a try. I like the 40/30/30 idea.

OK, so my TDEE is 2163 based on exercising 3-5 times a week (usually 5).
    If I subtract 20% for a calorie deficit that means my calories should be set at 1730 a day but that I should NOT eat back exercise calories. Correct?

My goal is to shed the last 10 pounds.

ETA: A little scary - MFP says I would gain weight at 1700 calories a day. I'm going to try it though...this 1200 calorie plus exercise calories thing isn't working well at an average of a pound loss per month.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    I gain muscle with a lot less carb's than that.

And lose weight.

And calories? Not counting. Not even logging my food these days. I am just here for the social experience :)

My credentials are in my pictures, I may not be Arnold, but I am not Humpty Dumpty any more either.

The best way to build or maintain muscles IS TO USE THEM. Eskimo's had muscles long before we gave them flour. In fact, they were almost zero carb 9 months of the year.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I gain muscle with a lot less carb's than that.

And lose weight.

And calories? Not counting. Not even logging my food these days. I am just here for the social experience :)

My credentials are in my pictures, I may not be Arnold, but I am not Humpty Dumpty any more either.

The best way to build or maintain muscles IS TO USE THEM. Eskimo's had muscles long before we gave them flour. In fact, they were almost zero carb 9 months of the year.

one's physical appearance or physical transformation tells you 0 about their actual knowledge of nutrition
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    IDK, I like having my calorie goal at 1210 like MFP gave me (BMR 1343, maintenance 1710 based on sedentary setting, b/c I log all my extra exercise and don't factor it into my activity setting) - having that 1210 goal is a big part of my motivation to workout, so I can eat more. I actually end up eating anywhere from 1600-2000 on the days that I workout b/c I work hard for those exercise calories and I am dang well gonna eat them. LOL The thing is I think mentally I might not be as motivated to workout if I had an 1800 goal b/c I'd feel like I'm 'allowed' to eat that much without having to exercise. So I fear I might fall into a trap of exercise less often (not feeling I have to do it to earn those extra calories) and might not continue to see a loss. I think it depends on your motivation. My calorie goal is motivated by weightless and my exercise is motivated by wanting to eat more. LOL It's going to be time for me to switch to 0.5 lb/week goal soon, though, so that'll be more food right there.....

I like the macro suggestions - I've been working hard to get way more protein than MFP suggests but I should probably go in and change my macro settings to make it not such a guessing game as to how much I should be shooting for....
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I think I will give this a try. I like the 40/30/30 idea.

OK, so my TDEE is 2163 based on exercising 3-5 times a week (usually 5).
    If I subtract 20% for a calorie deficit that means my calories should be set at 1730 a day but that I should NOT eat back exercise calories. Correct?

My goal is to shed the last 10 pounds.

ETA: A little scary - MFP says I would gain weight at 1700 calories a day. I'm going to try it though...this 1200 calorie plus exercise calories thing isn't working well at an average of a pound loss per month.
    Yup, give that a try. You can always make adjustements going forward.