Drop fat and gain muscle!!! Newbies Read this.

Options

Replies

• lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Once you get that figured out, subtract 10 - 20% and follow these starting / simple guidelines.

.8-1g protein for every lb of body weight
    .35 - .4g fat for every lb of body welght
    Fill the rest in with carbs.

I've heard the protein equation before, but never the one to calculate daily fat intake. Can I ask where you got these guidelines from? Something I've been very interested in lately =)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I dont think giving advice is irresponsible.
    I think jumping into weight loss the wrong way is.
    A goal is something you CAN obtain!
    From the 15 or 20 posts i've read first thing this morning they all have 1 thing in common
    "Why havent I budged in 80 days???"
    "No weight loss???"
    "Should I cut another 200 calories down to 1000?"
    "why am I so irritable? I'm only eating 1200 calories"
    "MFP set my calories to 1200? Is this healthy?"

Do you think my suggestions are worse than these?
    I think not.

In my opinion its better to know your own BMR and maintenance calories and stay between those numbers.
    Most of the peeps who start this will stick with 1200 calories and not loose much weight.
    Like running a marathon with a bag over their head.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I'd suggest setting MFP at a half pound a week in order to maintain muscle while losing weight. 1800-2000 doesn't work for all people especially small women.

^^This is me.....1/2 pound per week deficit, 40/30/30. I'm also reading Tom Vanuto's book. Interesting thread....

I loved this book.
    Its funny how The Abs diet, The flat belly diet and Toms book all say the same things.
  • Miggy52
    Miggy52 Posts: 164
    Options
    bump.....
  • Wan2LoseLbs
    Wan2LoseLbs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest setting MFP at a half pound a week in order to maintain muscle while losing weight. 1800-2000 doesn't work for all people especially small women.

^^This is me.....1/2 pound per week deficit, 40/30/30. I'm also reading Tom Vanuto's book. Interesting thread....

I loved this book.
    Its funny how The Abs diet, The flat belly diet and Toms book all say the same things.

that's because all diets work exactly the same, caloric deficits
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I dont think giving advice is irresponsible.
    I think jumping into weight loss the wrong way is.
    A goal is something you CAN obtain!
    From the 15 or 20 posts i've read first thing this morning they all have 1 thing in common
    "Why havent I budged in 80 days???"
    "No weight loss???"
    "Should I cut another 200 calories down to 1000?"
    "why am I so irritable? I'm only eating 1200 calories"
    "MFP set my calories to 1200? Is this healthy?"

Do you think my suggestions are worse than these?
    I think not.

In my opinion its better to know your own BMR and maintenance calories and stay between those numbers.
    Most of the peeps who start this will stick with 1200 calories and not loose much weight.
    Like running a marathon with a bag over their head.

There's nothing wrong with giving advice. It's just how you worded it made it sound like you had the cookie cutter answer for everyone. Not everyone will see results eating 1800-2000. I've noticed in your diary even you don't do that. Also, MFP does not suggest 1200 for everyone. It is not a cookie cutter. I was given 1200 because I am a small person and I don't need anywhere near 1800 calories a day to survive.

Also, paragraphs are cool.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

that's because all diets work exactly the same, caloric deficits

It's nice having thing explained to you in a simple way also.
    I never understood what insulin did or how a fat cell worked etc...
    Now the books do claim that eating 5-6 times a day is crucial but I think once you get the metabolism up then you can eat whenever.

And thus starts the debate on feeding frequency!
    =D
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

There's nothing wrong with giving advice. It's just how you worded it made it sound like you had the cookie cutter answer for everyone. Not everyone will see results eating 1800-2000. I've noticed in your diary even you don't do that. Also, MFP does not suggest 1200 for everyone. It is not a cookie cutter. I was given 1200 because I am a small person and I don't need anywhere near 1800 calories a day to survive.

Lol oh noes diary!
    My trip to NYC resulted in a crazy week and an empty fridge!
    I'll be back on track today and on.
    =D
    Fat and Carbs run amok!
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Ok...so my BMR is 1465. MFP has me at 1340 calories a day. My goals are preset by MFP to 55/15/30. I am 5'6 and weigh 169. I would love to lose about 35 more lbs. I tend to do weight training 3 times a week with a little cardio added in when I get a chance (I'm a very busy working mom with twin 3 yr olds and a husband that works nights. So basically a single parent. lol). If I was to increase my caloric intake to 1800 calories I would most def gain weight. HELP!! This is all so confusing. Should I change my goals? My caloric intake? I'm losing some but not very fast. Mainly maintaining.
  • Jorra
    Options

Lol oh noes diary!
    My trip to NYC resulted in a crazy week and an empty fridge!
    I'll be back on track today and on.
    =D
    Fat and Carbs run amok!

I was talking about your calories, not your macros. You don't eat 1800-2000, you eat 2500-3000. So clearly, what you suggested isn't for everyone.
  • Sookie_182
    Sookie_182 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    thanks a million for this... had been wondering where to change the carbs, fats and protein! :happy:
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    [/quote]

I forgot to mention i'm a LEO.
    =D
    [/quote]

Law Enforcement Officer?
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

I was talking about your calories, not your macros. You don't eat 1800-2000, you eat 2500-3000. So clearly, what you suggested isn't for everyone.

I was cutting for appx 5 months.
    Dropped too fast in the beginning.
    All said and done I dropped from 160ish down to 135.
    Then I got to a point where if I cut anymore fat id look like Ghandi!
    YIKES!
    So now i'm set at 15% over maint calories per day.
    I'll eat up to 3k if I like.
    I workout on a 3day split routine with almost no cardio.
    Today is day 1: Shoulders, Triceps.

I'll be upping my calories to 3k+ Dec 1st with the same eating habits.
    January 1st i'll up to 3500 calories starting LeanGains with an 8hour eating window.
    This is going to be tough because i'm married and have to feed the wife!
    I'll cut a little in March into spring and re-evaluate then.
    I would like to gain 10lbs by Jan 2013 with a BF% of appx 10-12%.

The info from this post is what I started doing when I was stuck and it made a huge difference.
    Cool?
    Slow and steady wins the race.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Very few people can gain muscle and lose fat on your suggestions. People who have high bf% or are just starting weight training then it is possible. Also it will be a minimal muscle gain however, strength gains are possible for more people than muscle gains are. Im in a cut phase and I can tell you this much there's no way Im gaining muscle on 2000 calories a day.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Very few people can gain muscle and lose fat on your suggestions. People who have high bf% or are just starting weight training then it is possible. Also it will be a minimal muscle gain however, strength gains are possible for more people than muscle gains are. Im in a cut phase and I can tell you this much there's no way Im gaining muscle on 2000 calories a day.

You look fantastic!
    What is your BF% before the cut?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    You've got the hard carriage returns down, but your iambic pentameter needs work. :wink:
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    LOVE this, THANK you!
  • Jorra
    Options
    You've got the hard carriage returns down, but your iambic pentameter needs work.

I :heart: you.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    why is it everytime someone is on here and they post what works for them they get a lot of neg responses? I mean really, if it works for them why are you going to argue with them.. I get so sick of seeing all the negitivity you guys, i mean come on not every body is them same. I think if this worked for him great it may work for someone else. What worked for you may work for someone else or it may not... Why cant we be okay with what others are doing to lose weight as long as there not starving or doing things utterly unhealthy.

Just saying I think once some people lose weight they end up acting as if they have the secret or thay all of the sudden have a PHD. I at one time lost 70 pounds and kept it off for most of my 20- 40's... It was the low fat way and i had tons of energy and i ate carbs!!!! ahw my goodness so bad of me!! lol after getting lazy and not exerciing and eating fat again i gained 20 pounds i tried the high protein diet i gained 10 more pounds... I am going to go back to low fat eating,

Well....... that is that i am going to try low fat, and the only kind of fat will be nuts. I am not going to listen to others when it comes to absolutes on eating because THERE ARE NO abosultes, you are not experts and neither am I. So give advice and go on stop getting mad or act hollier then tho because you lost weight. WHAT WORKS FOR ONE WONT ALWAYS WORK FOR THE OTHER WE ALL HAVE TO FIND WHAT WORKS FOR " OUR BODY"

Oh and yes i can not type and i misspell some words on occasion. But i still know common since and that is, stop the irritaing hating on everyone who may have a diff way then you.. Best of wishes and good luck to all on this weight loss and healthy living, we all need it!! lol