Drop fat and gain muscle!!! Newbies Read this.

Options

Replies

• TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    lol...we have a literature major on our hands :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You've got the hard carriage returns down, but your iambic pentameter needs work.

LOLOLOL
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    why is it everytime someone is on here and they post what works for them they get a lot of neg responses? I mean really, if it works for them why are you going to argue with them.. I get so sick of seeing all the negitivity you guys, i mean come on not every body is them same. I think if this worked for him great it may work for someone else. What worked for you may work for someone else or it may not... Why cant we be okay with what others are doing to lose weight as long as there not starving or doing things utterly unhealthy.

Just saying I think once some people lose weight they end up acting as if they have the secret or thay all of the sudden have a PHD. I at one time lost 70 pounds and kept it off for most of my 20- 40's... It was the low fat way and i had tons of energy and i ate carbs!!!! ahw my goodness so bad of me!! lol after getting lazy and not exerciing and eating fat again i gained 20 pounds i tried the high protein diet i gained 10 more pounds... I am going to go back to low fat eating,

Well....... that is that i am going to try low fat, and the only kind of fat will be nuts. I am not going to listen to others when it comes to absolutes on eating because THERE ARE NO abosultes, you are not experts and neither am I. So give advice and go on stop getting mad or act hollier then tho because you lost weight. WHAT WORKS FOR ONE WONT ALWAYS WORK FOR THE OTHER WE ALL HAVE TO FIND WHAT WORKS FOR " OUR BODY"

Oh and yes i can not type and i misspell some words on occasion. But i still know common since and that is, stop the irritaing hating on everyone who may have a diff way then you.. Best of wishes and good luck to all on this weight loss and healthy living, we all need it!! lol

Thank you for making the exact same point as me. Everyone is different. No one is an expert just because something worked for their body. I just want people to be careful when they word their advice so people who don't have the common sense to know the difference don't take the advice as gospel.
  • Caz2678
    Options
    Tom Venuto and Paul Chek are great reads for this info. Also for the women - Overcoming the female fat cell by Debra Waterhouse is very informative!!

I agree with Scott613, there are only a select group that this would work for. Mainly people like me! Who have BF%'s of around 30 and little muscle mass. But also there are other factors which could affect the success of this too!

Interesting thread tho :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    why is it everytime someone is on here and they post what works for them they get a lot of neg responses? I mean really, if it works for them why are you going to argue with them.. I get so sick of seeing all the negitivity you guys, i mean come on not every body is them same. I think if this worked for him great it may work for someone else. What worked for you may work for someone else or it may not... Why cant we be okay with what others are doing to lose weight as long as there not starving or doing things utterly unhealthy.

I agree with your point, but the OP didn't post "this is what works for me". It reads as "this is what will work for everyone". And in reading the responses, I appears that is what people have a problem with.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am not going to listen to others when it comes to absolutes on eating because THERE ARE NO abosultes, you are not experts and neither am I. So give advice and go on stop getting mad or act hollier then tho because you lost weight. WHAT WORKS FOR ONE WONT ALWAYS WORK FOR THE OTHER WE ALL HAVE TO FIND WHAT WORKS FOR " OUR BODY"

actually you're wrong, eating in a caloric deficit results in weight loss, works for everyone
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Can you post any evidence that supports this view, or at least some credentials that prove you know what you're talking about and not just saying what works for you?

You don't want MFP to be a cookie cutter program, but you're giving every person a cookie cutter suggestion.

P.S. Spelling things wrong is a not a good way to gain credibility.

This was exactly what I was thinking as I read the OP with one eyebrow raised in amusement.

Or should I say AmuseMent!!!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I am not going to listen to others when it comes to absolutes on eating because THERE ARE NO abosultes, you are not experts and neither am I. So give advice and go on stop getting mad or act hollier then tho because you lost weight. WHAT WORKS FOR ONE WONT ALWAYS WORK FOR THE OTHER WE ALL HAVE TO FIND WHAT WORKS FOR " OUR BODY"

actually you're wrong, eating in a caloric deficit results in weight loss, works for everyone
    Common sense is not allowed on threads. Please stop posting
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

True. But it does not work the same for everyone. Certain diseases or other medical problems can affect metabolism and weight loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting to hear how to gain muscle on calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Excellent post!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Very few people can gain muscle and lose fat on your suggestions. People who have high bf% or are just starting weight training then it is possible. Also it will be a minimal muscle gain however, strength gains are possible for more people than muscle gains are. Im in a cut phase and I can tell you this much there's no way Im gaining muscle on 2000 calories a day.

BINGO.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    Great post!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Steroids
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

True. But it does not work the same for everyone. Certain diseases or other medical problems can affect metabolism and weight loss.
    There's always the exception to the rule and someone with medical issues pertaining to metabolism would need further education, but for the vast majority of the population 99% the metabolism and thermodynamics apply. Personally i get tired of people saying well not everyone is the same......you know what they are the same. the problem is different solutions work for different people because of the simple fact that the common denominator for weight loss is never ever going to be consistanly correct...too many factors that effect the out side of the energy balance equation are simply not factored into the math equation that most here will employ to lose weight. If we forgot about BMR altogether and simply through recording what we eat to maintain our weight to find TDEE then creat a defict all of those unseen and not factored in enomolies that effect weight loss will no longer be the plight of the thousands that look to a calculator for guidance, with I'm different being th logical answer. It's simply miscalculation based on minimal information that makes everyone different.....TDEE evens the playing field.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Hilarious!!!

IDEA Fitness member
    Steroids
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I dont think giving advice is irresponsible.
    I think jumping into weight loss the wrong way is.
    A goal is something you CAN obtain!
    From the 15 or 20 posts i've read first thing this morning they all have 1 thing in common
    "Why havent I budged in 80 days???"
    "No weight loss???"
    "Should I cut another 200 calories down to 1000?"
    "why am I so irritable? I'm only eating 1200 calories"
    "MFP set my calories to 1200? Is this healthy?"

Do you think my suggestions are worse than these?
    I think not.

In my opinion its better to know your own BMR and maintenance calories and stay between those numbers.
    Most of the peeps who start this will stick with 1200 calories and not loose much weight.
    Like running a marathon with a bag over their head.

Well, I don't run so I don't have that problem. Especially since I learned at an early age (even earlier than I learned to write in English) not to put plastic bags over my head.

And I haven't posted my own topic yet today, but if I do it will not be "why am I so irritable" it will be "why do so many people on this site have their heads up their own *kitten*?"

~From your friendly neighborhood Cancer, who also works in international banking. Not sure of the relevance, but everyone else was joining in and I wanted to feel special.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I love the negativity!
    I also type on a very very small keyboard and i'm impatient so the spelling is meh in my book.

I'll say it over and over again that people are eating too few calories and expecting substantial results.
    They need to set realistic goals and understand that just because MFP says 1200 calories and gives them set macros that it isnt the answer.
    These are the same people that will loose some weight but also lower their LBM if they do exactly what MFP offers!
    It should be a tradeoff!
    Lower fat% higher LBM%.
    We can go back and forth on this all day long but the fact is we need to help these peeps and not beat each other up.
    How often are you guys telling friends that they did a great job eating below calories when they only ate 800 calories and ran for 20 mins at a high pace burning 200 calories.
    If im wrong then i accept that but I dont think the beatdown by some members is truly necessary.
    If these ideas dont stick well then dont follow them.
    I get a lot of my info from other forums and reading the books.
    The friends who have been trying this are seeing results and have thanked me for helping them.
    I saw results when I did them.
    Now i'm scaling things up for a slow gain with minimal fat gain.
    I guess I just care too much.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I love the negativity!
    I also type on a very very small keyboard and i'm impatient so the spelling is meh in my book.

I'll say it over and over again that people are eating too few calories and expecting substantial results.
    They need to set realistic goals and understand that just because MFP says 1200 calories and gives them set macros that it isnt the answer.
    These are the same people that will loose some weight but also lower their LBM if they do exactly what MFP offers!
    It should be a tradeoff!
    Lower fat% higher LBM%.
    We can go back and forth on this all day long but the fact is we need to help these peeps and not beat each other up.
    How often are you guys telling friends that they did a great job eating below calories when they only ate 800 calories and ran for 20 mins at a high pace burning 200 calories.
    If im wrong then i accept that but I dont think the beatdown by some members is truly necessary.
    If these ideas dont stick well then dont follow them.
    I get a lot of my info from other forums and reading the books.
    The friends who have been trying this are seeing results and have thanked me for helping them.
    I saw results when I did them.
    Now i'm scaling things up for a slow gain with minimal fat gain.

LBM does not equal muscle mass. It also consists of organ weight and water weight.
  • wildcata77
    Options

You keep saying this...what is it exactly you care so much about? Being right? Being praised for your advice? I'm just curious...