Do you celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia?

124»

Replies

• fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    ^^^^HHmm then why have i never been up for sacrifice?:blushing: I feel left out!^^^
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Yeah.. pretty much everything is closed on Thanksgiving day in Canada, which is in October. & our Thanksgiving is celebrating something different from the American version and with slightly different foods. (no sweet potatoes with marshmallows etc.)

Really? From what I know, it's exactly the same. We also eat the same kind of meal.

Not true at all. Canadian thanksgiving involves sacrificial virgins, followed by a contest of gladiators, then celebrating with a feast... broiled kitten being the main course.

Funniest post ever! *lol*
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Sometimes us English folk just make an extra holiday so we can sit around and drink tea and remember the good old British Empire. We have one such day next year on 4th June 2012. The Queen is paying.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    I wonder what the SQA would actually do if you did write in fluent scots? They couldn't mark you down for spelling mistakes or slang, beccause it is neither, and it's not a foreign language either, so really, what would they do....? Might go take a standard grade exam just to find out :L

Do Standard Grade Chemistry in Scots! Yes!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    I wonder what the SQA would actually do if you did write in fluent scots? They couldn't mark you down for spelling mistakes or slang, beccause it is neither, and it's not a foreign language either, so really, what would they do....? Might go take a standard grade exam just to find out :L

Do Standard Grade Chemistry in Scots! Yes!

I asked my lecturer about this today, he said the university I'm at are looking into allowing scots and dialect in exams, considering we're the university of the west of scotland it's a bit unfair we can't write in Scottish! xD
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Why wouldn't Thanksgiving be allowed to be taught?
    Because the Puritans stole the land, brought disease, enslaved the natives, and brutality/degradation thrust upon a noble people, to name a few?

ETA: Not reasons for it not to be taught, but why some countries are surprised we celebrate it.
    :noway: Lets not go there. Holiday traditions please.

Why not go there, it is the truth................Its a shame so many people love to live in denial. We should speak the truth - it sets us all free.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Yeah.. pretty much everything is closed on Thanksgiving day in Canada, which is in October. & our Thanksgiving is celebrating something different from the American version and with slightly different foods. (no sweet potatoes with marshmallows etc.)

Really? From what I know, it's exactly the same. We also eat the same kind of meal.

No. From what I know, American thanksgiving has something to do with pilgrims or somesuch, whereas ours doesn't. Also, I'm married to an American and there are definitely some different foods.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    If it is ok to ask how long does thanksgiving go for. are all the shops closed like they are in Auz christmas day and public hoidays?
    The actual holiday is just one day. But it's held on Thursday, so many people will have Thursday and Friday off work. That's Black Friday, which is when all the stores have major sales and people camp out in front of the stores waiting for them to open.

And yes, most of the shops are closed on Thanksgiving. Grocery stores are sometimes open for the morning.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    'm actually currently trying to learn fluent scots, then I'm gonna work on Gaelic.
    Scots is a lot harder though, as it's hard to seperate the parts that were actually the language and more modern regional dialect.
    Unless ye were locked in midden with only the BBC fer company, ye already speak Scots if ye've lived yer hale life amongst em.

Scots is a living leid an ye cannae split the ancient and modern. I grew up in Ayrshire but ma folks are aw Buddies so it's annay natural that things git a wee bit mixed.

Mairs the point, the English actually speak oor leid an nae the other way aroun. An we're a mongrel folk if ever there was. Norse and Normans, Angles and Saxons, Celts and Romans. There's nae such thing as a true Scot or Englishman. But it's what's in her heart that matters.

Historical airbrushing aside, I think it's great that a nation has one day when all it's kin whither tha may be or believe, all gang thegither tae tak a cup of kindness and remember and gie thanks.

For the Scots it's Hogmanay and Ne'erday - that's traditionally when we gie thanks an remember absent friends... although the young'ens dinnae always see it that way noo. It's just another night tae get blootered, whit's a pity! Funny that I had tae come tae England tae rediscover the true Ne'erday spirit :happy:

Cheers!:drinker:

*translation available upon request :laugh:

I can't write it or speak it, but my great-grandfather would be proud that I can read that. :happy:
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Why wouldn't Thanksgiving be allowed to be taught?
    Because the Puritans stole the land, brought disease, enslaved the natives, and brutality/degradation thrust upon a noble people, to name a few?

ETA: Not reasons for it not to be taught, but why some countries are surprised we celebrate it.
    :noway: Lets not go there. Holiday traditions please.

Why not go there, it is the truth................Its a shame so many people love to live in denial. We should speak the truth - it sets us all free.

Exactly...Columbus Day, Thanksgiving....majority of the people dont realize what they're celebrating. I long for the day when Columbus Day is no longer a federal holiday. I like the bank I work for...they are still open and operating (besides processing) on that day...unlike all the other major banks.

I'm debating on what to do this year for thanksgiving. Previously I've been going along with the tradition because my kids expect it and I'll still have food to eat, but probably will opt for something less-traditional. Same with Christmas. I'm all for family traditions, but the truth needs to be taught and less focus on that and just for a great time to gather as a family and eat.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Since Australia is in the Southern Hemisphere, their harvest holiday would be in May, if they have one.

Canada has a Thanksgiving day, but it's nothing like the one in the US. They don't even take off work.

Anyone who isn't American, if an American invites you to eat at their house on Thanksgiving, you definitely want to accept!

Canada does have its own Thanksgiving, and yes we do take the day off work. And it isn't Thanksgiving at my house with out sweet potatos and marshmallows!
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member

Not true at all. Canadian thanksgiving involves sacrificial virgins, followed by a contest of gladiators, then celebrating with a feast... broiled kitten being the main course.

That just ludicrous. In my area we sit around to watch moose fights . We never make turkey though, takes too long to cook and might burn down the igloo. So we usually roast up a good polar bear (the meat cooks much faster). Such a pain when you run out of the essentials and have to throw on your nike snow shoes just to get to the nearest tree and get some maple syrup. SERIOUSLY A PAIN. But of course, can't eat polar bear without syrup . Like YUMM EH' :)
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    My bad ... my friend in Toronto insisted no one got the day off. I said the fact that he has to work is just evidence of how overworked he is, but he was quite adamant that he wasn't the only one.
  • tunktunk5583
    tunktunk5583 Posts: 76 Member
    does anyone else find this question to be on the ridiculous side?