CrossFit

Options

Replies

• LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    LOL! Thanks guys!!! I needed that...and NO, I'm NOT talking to you... :laugh:
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I've been really interested in getting into CF. I'll be honest, I'm fat. But, CF is a goal of mine. I did Krav Maga for awhile and loved the less traditional type work out and have come to love the exertion from Krav. I love doing things that aren't typical girl things; I'd rather be working out with the guys. When I hit the gym, I love pushing myself at weight lifting - I've never really been a cardio freak. I do love biking, but I don't think I'd ever be a runner. Anyway, I think that's part of the allure to CF: pushing myself in a way that helps me maneuver my body in ways that you can't quite do in a typical work out.

With that said, and yes I know I'm feeding the troll....

I go to the Y. It's not free. It's more expensive than the gym I had been going to and a half hour trainer session is more at the Y. Anyway, yes, I have a trainer at the YMCA...and...*drum roll* HE'S A CROSSFITTER! :noway:

He's given me some awesome moves that come from CrossFit and I love it. Granted they've been simple things, like kettle bell swings, sumo lifts...tire flipping. I have absolutely loved his workouts. Before I do anything he always checks form. I've been sore, but it's a good sore. So, I can't wait until I'm in better shape and I can check out a box.

On one more note, I definitely agree with the statement that diet is the biggest component. You can bust your *kitten* trying to run marathons, swim, hoola hoop...whatever, but if you aren't fueling your body properly, no workout regimen is going to fix you. :)
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I do Crossfit and I have never even heard of this Glassman guy that a certain poster can't get enough of bashing! And guess what, I don't really care what he has said about it! Every single concept that has ever been invented has evolved from the inventor to present day! Just because he was involved in the early stages doesn't mean that he still controls how the workouts are today. I have gone to many different workouts over the years, including the YMCA and I have never had a better workout than a Crossfit workout! The instructors are awesome, they keep the classes small, no more than 5 people in a class so they can properly supervise and make sure everyone is doing everything safely! I personally have never tried a box jump...but have you ever watched the Biggest Loser? Bob Harper has 300lb contestants on that show doing it!

I totally agree with one of the previous posters comments on runners dropping dead at marathons! I don't know anyone who has dropped dead while exercising in a gym, but a lady near where I live was hit by a car and died while out for a run! The fact of life is that every single sport has risks and benefits and each person has to weigh and decide what their limits are. And like another previous poster said, I would rather be hurt trying something new while I am improving my life, than be out of shape and at risk of dying with obesity related illnesses!

If you don't have the courage to at least try it for yourself, then do us all the courtesy of not bashing it and keep your negativity to yourself.
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    this thread has amused me greatly. Especially the zombie part! totally awesome there!

I want to try crossfit even more so now...just because somebody out there is filled with such hatred...I want to know why!

I feel the need to say I dont CF right now but after some of my workouts at the gym I am so sore I can barely sit down to use the toilet without yelping... days when I have a body pump and bootcamp in the same day...OUCH...but LOVE!!!
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    No, I never met the Glassman guy, but any fitness instructor that says their workouts can kill people, but expect people to do them anyway, must have a few screws loose .

Crossfit creates addiction in many ways. Here are a few to start with

1.Convincing people that a Crossfit workout is better than anything else, when there is absolutely no evidence of that being the case. Making participants believe that if they leave Crossfit, they will never become as fit as they could be. Making people believe that Crossfit will do for them what no other exercise program could possibly do.

2. Making it about Crossfit community. While admittedly, a lot of fitness franchises could do a better job of creating community within their exercise classes, community would not give me reason to join or stay in an exercise program I found too extreme or didn't like. But it would some people -- especially those who do not feel they have community. That is how cults often recruit members -- by promising people who have no real feeling of community in life that their organization will give them what they always wanted.

3. Making participants feel they have failed their Crossfit community if they do not show up for the WOD, and being encouraged to feel that way about others in the "box" -- which keeps everyone in the box feeling obligated to come to workouts.

Don't you know that running can kill you too or don't you have traffic in sno-ville? Nothing more dangerous than some dumbass jogger with their ipod on full jogging down country lanes oblivious to their need to get out of the freaking way!
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer at the YMCA...and...*drum roll* HE'S A CROSSFITTER! :noway:

He's given me some awesome moves that come from CrossFit and I love it. Granted they've been simple things, like kettle bell swings, sumo lifts...tire flipping. I have absolutely loved his workouts. Before I do anything he always checks form. I've been sore, but it's a good sore. So, I can't wait until I'm in better shape and I can check out a box.

"Crossfit moves" did not originate from Crossfit.

The Glassman guy that started Crossfit took them from pre-existing workout routines, made the workout so tough that most people can't do it, and sold it with a stick-and-a-carrot approach that if you pay money to his organization and do his Workouts of the Day, you might eventually become one of those ripped elite Crossfitters, which very few people will actually be able to do, because they don't have the right gene pool to develop that kind of a muscle structure.
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've been really interested in getting into CF. I'll be honest, I'm fat. But, CF is a goal of mine. I did Krav Maga for awhile and loved the less traditional type work out and have come to love the exertion from Krav. I love doing things that aren't typical girl things; I'd rather be working out with the guys. When I hit the gym, I love pushing myself at weight lifting - I've never really been a cardio freak. I do love biking, but I don't think I'd ever be a runner. Anyway, I think that's part of the allure to CF: pushing myself in a way that helps me maneuver my body in ways that you can't quite do in a typical work out.

With that said, and yes I know I'm feeding the troll....

I go to the Y. It's not free. It's more expensive than the gym I had been going to and a half hour trainer session is more at the Y. Anyway, yes, I have a trainer at the YMCA...and...*drum roll* HE'S A CROSSFITTER! :noway:

On one more note, I definitely agree with the statement that diet is the biggest component. You can bust your *kitten* trying to run marathons, swim, hoola hoop...whatever, but if you aren't fueling your body properly, no workout regimen is going to fix you. :)

I dont know if you can see my profile photo... but I did all that WITH Crossfit. It doesnt matter your size. Everything is scale-able. Definitely try it if you want to. Even fit people who come in start somewhere.
  • cansnchloe
    cansnchloe Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am about 6 months in on my Crossfit membership and as with any fitness program you have to scale to your comfort level and ability. This is definitely a love / hate situation but you shouldn't knock it before you try it. Our local Crossfit affiliate focuses on safety and form and will yank you out of the workout to correct you, pull weights off your bar or whatever needs to happen to be sure you are safe and avoid injury. Yes the workouts are hard but nobody will make you feel bad for not coming or living your life like a normal person. We have 70 year old men, obese middle age women, beginners and yes a few that are in amazing shape from years of Crossfitting but to anyone who is interested in trying it.... I highly recommend it.

For those Crossfitters that puke and pass out, they are doing that to themselves... and choose to. It is definitely not recommended at our Crossfit.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    No thanks, I don't want to spend my money with organizations whose founder makes statements like"

Mr. Glassman, CrossFit's founder, does not discount his regimen's risks, even to those who are in shape and take the time to warm up their bodies before a session.

"It can kill you," he said. "I've always been completely honest about that."
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Changed my mind. It is not worth my time. :))
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    This is a thread for people interested in Crossfit, not for people vilifying it. To each their own... if you don't like the lifestyle - leave it alone. You are no better than any school-yard bully. Please, leave the thread Rachel.
  • kitt8980
    kitt8980 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    P.S. I may be 61, but you have CONVINCED me I have to join a Cross Fit class!

I have a friend that is around that age and she does Crossfit too. I have talked with my trainer and even done research myself to include watchin videos on youtube. There are lots of people that can do Crossfit, no matter their age. When you do start out and say they are doin liftin, they put a weight that they recommend. You only do what you are capable of doin. Your trainer is there to help you to determin where you are at. They will not push you to the point of you "killing" yourself. They always want to see where you are at and what you as a person are willing to do. For me my trainer tells me that she knows I can do more weight then what I try to give myself half the time. She is right though too...lol But she also says I have more hart then some of the other females that she trains. So she pushes me cause she knows I have it in me. There are even videos where I have seen pregnet women doin Crossfit. I have even researched it and even docs say that it is good for you. Just at sertain times you have to lower the weight and not do certain workouts. They even have kids doin it too, that was really cute. And for the one who likes to argue about what I just put, the kids are not lifting they are doin sit-ups, push-ups and simple workouts, and they are having fun while doin it. But anyone at any age can do Crossfit. So if you want to try it, I say go for it, if not that is perfertlly fine too. Have a great day.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Yes, people of any age and fitness level can get involved with Crossfit. They will be happy to take your money and let you in the door. But that doesn't mean they will enjoy being one of the few people in the class that can't compete with the gung-ho, do-it-or-die attitudes of the elite Crossfitters in the box. If you have to seriously scale your workouts because you are not strong enough to keep up with the elite Crossfitters, you will probably feel like a first grader trying to keep up in a college class.

Maybe your box is not like that, Kitt8980. But many Crossfit boxes are. And from all I hear, those boxes are the norm because the extreme nature of Crossfit tends to attract extreme people.
  • choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i have been doing crossfit for almost 2yrs now and i have seen such a wonderful change in my body! it does require some non-traditional weight-lifting though. i really would recommend if you are not familar with olympic-style lifting to start in a crossfit gym with their "ramp class", which goes over all the forms for the olympic lifts...it's about 6wks long. from there you can obtain the workouts on www.crossfit.com. that's how i get my workouts and do them at my gym.
    BEST WISHES IN HEALTH!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    There are many, many ways to get in better shape and see positive changes in your body that do not involve Crossfit.

Trying to convince people that Crossfit is better than anything else around is how that business franchise pulls people in. I am not interested in their non traditional weightlifting, or any of their other "killer" workouts.

I would rather stay healthy and injury free and have a reasonably good level of fitness than attempt to get into "elite fitness" shape by torturing myself with Crossfit workouts.

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer at the YMCA...and...*drum roll* HE'S A CROSSFITTER! :noway:

"Crossfit moves" did not originate from Crossfit.

The Glassman guy that started Crossfit took them from pre-existing workout routines, made the workout so tough that most people can't do it, and sold it with a stick-and-a-carrot approach that if you pay money to his organization and do his Workouts of the Day, you might eventually become one of those ripped elite Crossfitters, which very few people will actually be able to do, because they don't have the right gene pool to develop that kind of a muscle structure.

guess i'm strong er then i thought, because i can get through plenty of crossfit style work outs. and few people actually become those ripped elite crossfitters because of many reasons. yes, some have the genetic predesposition, but most people lack the motivation or dedication to make it that far, just like not all people that run are able to do a marathon.
  • kitt8980
    kitt8980 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You know I don't go to a box and I don't pay to do crossfit. I have a trainer where I am at and she teachs me how to do the workouts right and safe. So when I get home from where I am at the moment, I can just go to the gym (by the way is also FREE) and do the workouts from the website crossfit.com. They have a new workout each day. You don't have to be the fittest person in the world to say that you are a crossfitter. I enjoy the workouts and I feel that I will always enjoy them. I will get my husband to do them with me too when I get home. Again, I don't pay anything to do the workouts. The website is free for everyone to pull the workout from and if you don't have some of the equipment, there is always a way to still do the workout with what is around your home.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    You know I don't go to a box and I don't pay to do crossfit. I have a trainer where I am at and she teachs me how to do the workouts right and safe. So when I get home from where I am at the moment, I can just go to the gym (by the way is also FREE) and do the workouts from the website crossfit.com. They have a new workout each day. You don't have to be the fittest person in the world to say that you are a crossfitter. I enjoy the workouts and I feel that I will always enjoy them. I will get my husband to do them with me too when I get home. Again, I don't pay anything to do the workouts. The website is free for everyone to pull the workout from and if you don't have some of the equipment, there is always a way to still do the workout with what is around your home.

You are in a totally different situation than people that go to a Crossfit gym, or "box." You are not having to deal with all the super competitive elite Crossfitters trying to show off and look down on those who don't come away from a workout with bleeding, blistered hands.

Even if I did decide to try scaled down versions of some of the more do-able Crossfit workouts, I would not call myself a Crossfitter because I do not like the way the organization is run and do not wish to associate myself with it

Like I said earlier, some Crossfit boxes might have reasonable coaches and be ok, but many have a very extreme do-it-or-die-trying attitude.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    There are many, many ways to get in better shape and see positive changes in your body that do not involve Crossfit.

Trying to convince people that Crossfit is better than anything else around is how that business franchise pulls people in. I am not interested in their non traditional weightlifting, or any of their other "killer" workouts.

I would rather stay healthy and injury free and have a reasonably good level of fitness than attempt to get into "elite fitness" shape by torturing myself with Crossfit workouts.

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all

none of us here are trying to convince anyone that crossfit is the end all be all of fitness. it is no different then when she-who-shall-not-be-named pops up in a thread and tells someone to try tae bo. or when i tell someone to look into triathlon training.

i tell people that the best work out is the one you stick to. that being said, i like to do a big combination of work outs. i'm training for triathlons and mud runs, so it involves a lot of cardio and strength training. between the swimming, cycling, running, weight lifting, and the occasional crossfit work out, i'm getting into the best shape of my life, without injury. but that is what works for me. some people just don't have the time or energy to do what i do, or the mind that i have to schedule workouts like i do.

some people like cross fit because it is not a typical gym. there isn't the same zumba or bootcamp class three nights a week. its not the treadmill or running outside. it isn't jillian or bob in your living room. you go to a box, do a 30-60 min work out thats different everytime you go, and you finish up and feel strong.

why are you judging people that have finally found a work out that they can stick to?
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Ok. I have been reading the crossfit babble. I am neither for nor against it. What i am against is people on here bashing others for trying it. I am in the army. I have heard people say cf is very militaristic. I am not conceited ot narcissistic but my picture is current and i am around 9% body fat. If cf does that for people....then what is the problem?

And for those that say it is too extreme... then stay away. I like extreme. I want to be pushed. No offense but the pink weights do not cut it for me. That is the difference between someone who wants to lose a couple of pounds and an athlete. To each their own.