CrossFit

Options

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Ok. I have been reading the crossfit babble. I am neither for nor against it. What i am against is people on here bashing others for trying it. I am in the army. I have heard people say cf is very militaristic. I am not conceited ot narcissistic but my picture is current and i am around 9% body fat. If cf does that for people....then what is the problem?

And for those that say it is too extreme... then stay away. I like extreme. I want to be pushed. No offense but the pink weights do not cut it for me. That is the difference between someone who wants to lose a couple of pounds and an athlete. To each their own.

i could've sworn from your picture that you use pink weights exclusively. i hear that if you use them for like, 1,000 reps, you'll get really bulky.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I want to.. badly! Just waiting until I have the money to do so.
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    LOVE Crossfit!!!!!!!!
    Totally has changed my view on how I workout. Did it until about 4-5 months of being preggo but of course have not continued due to complications but OMG! can't wait to go back to it and my running.
    Its very much addicting in my opinion. Especially if you are competitive with yourself. :D
  • Kelico528
    Options

Oh and the whole "elite athlete" thing gets on my nerves, too. No - you're not. You work out. And you may do very, very tough work outs. But you're not an elite athlete - you're an IT Consultant who works out hard.

Disclaimer: I have no probs with Crossfit and I think anyone who does it is, basically, a BAMF. My best friend is a Paleo/Crossfitter and I love her to death. She has tried to get me on the bandwagon, but A. I could never afford the $120.00 a month membership, and B. I could never eat that much animal fat in a given day. Just. Can't. Do it. Anyway, Crossfitters, please, take no offense here!

BUT...LMAO I'm sorry, I just had to quote this. Cracks me up! Seeing the shirts with "Athlete" on the back just makes me think of a kid in highschool who couldn't make any of the sports teams, so his/her mom made him/her a shirt to make him/her feel better :-P

Seriously Crossfitters, keep up the great work. I won't be joining you, but it doesn't mean that you guys aren't, again, BAMFs :-D
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Okay Rachael, you do realize that Glassman does not personally teach every single Crossfit class that happens around the world right? And you do realize that he does not profit from every gym that teaches it! You are making ridiculous statements, its like saying I don't like Mike Tyson, so I will never ever do a boxing workout because Mike Tyson will benefit from it....does that make sense?
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    stop feeding the troll!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    stop feeding the troll!

Ditto...I think it is time to just hit ignore on the troll....
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Let's all agree NOT to respond to anymore of her posts ... period. Maybe then she will get the hint (I doubt it). But, it would be nice to ask questions about various training methods and get INTELLIGENT responses ... pro and con, without all the troll dribble.

Okay? Who is with me? Thanks!

P.S. I did it! I hit the ignore troll button. How liberating! All her dribble is GONE!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Let's all agree NOT to respond to anymore of her posts ... period. Maybe then she will get the hint (I doubt it). But, it would be nice to ask questions about various training methods and get INTELLIGENT responses ... pro and con, without all the troll dribble.

Okay? Who is with me? Thanks!

P.S. I did it! I hit the ignore troll button. How liberating! All her dribble is GONE!

I wonder how many points that ended up raise the conversations you see on the boards...if nothing else at least less annoying
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer at the YMCA...and...*drum roll* HE'S A CROSSFITTER! :noway:

He's given me some awesome moves that come from CrossFit and I love it. Granted they've been simple things, like kettle bell swings, sumo lifts...tire flipping. I have absolutely loved his workouts. Before I do anything he always checks form. I've been sore, but it's a good sore. So, I can't wait until I'm in better shape and I can check out a box.

"Crossfit moves" did not originate from Crossfit.

The Glassman guy that started Crossfit took them from pre-existing workout routines, made the workout so tough that most people can't do it, and sold it with a stick-and-a-carrot approach that if you pay money to his organization and do his Workouts of the Day, you might eventually become one of those ripped elite Crossfitters, which very few people will actually be able to do, because they don't have the right gene pool to develop that kind of a muscle structure.

guess i'm strong er then i thought , because i can get through plenty of crossfit style work outs. and few people actually become those ripped elite crossfitters because of many reasons. yes, some have the genetic predesposition, but most people lack the motivation or dedication to make it that far, just like not all people that run are able to do a marathon.

I totally agree. I'm not trying to sound special, b/c I know there are people much much much more fit and able than I am, but the things he's had me do have made me wonder about my own strength. I didn't see any other girls outside flipping a tractor tire behind the Y. Definitely makes me feel better about myself, which is definitely something I need. I have no desire to compete in the CF games, but I like the reward of doing something I didn't think I could. Like I said in my original post that didn't get quoted, I think it'll be fun for me to check out CF more in depth once I lose a little bit more weight.

And I'm not trying to re-invite the troll. Just commenting on a PP's comment. :)
  • kitt8980
    kitt8980 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is "WOOT WOOT" I finally concored my fear of the wooden box thingy in my gym. I completed 6 jumps, don't know the inches of it, but I don't care I did it....yay me. It feels great to be able to concure somethin that I have been havin trouble with for 2 mths. I am in a great mood now. :tongue:
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Hey, you know what?

I can be in a great mood without having to jump on boxes! Woot! Woot!

And my legs don't have to look like this:

http://sgirlcrossfit.blogspot.com/2011/07/july-18th-gross-stairs-and-box-jumps.html

or this

http://www.crossfitcli.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ali2.jpg
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    you would see amazing results in your weight loss if you gave it as much attention and effort as you do here bashing Crossfit!
  • engineman312
    Options
    the girl in the first pic you posted clearly states that she did a lazy jump.
  • kitt8980
    kitt8980 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You know I really wish you would quit bein so negative, to me I did something good. Guess what I didn't get hurt and I am still goin to do Crossfit now matter what articles you try to email me. It was an accomplishment for me, not you. You don't like Crossfit, we all get that, stop bashin those who do and want to share what they do and enjoy about it on this thread. That is the only reason, I started comin on here in the first place was to talk with other who do what I am doin, not to talk to someone who can't seem to get it in their head that people don't want to listen to you about all your negativity.
  • MissFit0101
    Options
    Ok. I have been reading the crossfit babble. I am neither for nor against it. What i am against is people on here bashing others for trying it. I am in the army. I have heard people say cf is very militaristic. I am not conceited ot narcissistic but my picture is current and i am around 9% body fat. If cf does that for people....then what is the problem?

And for those that say it is too extreme... then stay away. I like extreme. I want to be pushed. No offense but the pink weights do not cut it for me. That is the difference between someone who wants to lose a couple of pounds and an athlete. To each their own.

I was just admiring how far you have come my friend, you look FANTASTIC!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    you would see amazing results in your weight loss if you gave it as much attention and effort as you do here bashing Crossfit!

FYI, my weight is fine. I am within the guidelines for my weight, and am satisfied with it. So I do have time to inform people about Crossfit.
  • engineman312
    Options
    Rachel, you're going to give yourself an ulcer. Or an aneurysm. Just chill out. Or start an "occupy crossfit" movement.
  • MissFit0101
    Options
    Rachel, you're going to give yourself an ulcer. Or an aneurysm. Just chill out. Or start an "occupy crossfit" movement.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    People that hear about Crossfit need to know what they are getting into before they sign the paper and pay their money.

Most people start exercising and join a gym to get healthy, not to take a trip to the emergency room!

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You -- from the NY Times
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all