Lost 96lbs and made top 10 in physique contest...

Options

Replies

• advan031
    advan031 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Very impressive transformation....great job
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Thanks...Now that I got the photos up and running, I'm open to answering questions.
  • allenpearcy
    allenpearcy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Incredible definition!
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    ^^^Thanks. I have to get my back photos together from when I was 200 lbs. vs. now at ~177lbs. My back really leaned out and my waist got way smaller making that V-taper pretty awesome...

Will post as soon as I can find them.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    awesome, congrats!!! you look amazing
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    thanks will upload more photos when I find them...
  • Annemiles
    Options
    Wow - such a difference, you must feel fantastic. Do you just do lots of weights or gym/run as well?
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    Wow - such a difference, you must feel fantastic. Do you just do lots of weights or gym/run as well?

To be honest, I lifted weights all through high school and college. But then grad school, post doc, marriage, kids, 4 businesses later and you can guess what happened... I ate the same as "if I was still working out..."

Then it was a battle to start an on-again and off-again exercise regimen that didn't pan out as I planned for about 6-7 years. Gaining roughly 10-15 lbs per year and voila I was 96 lbs. heavier than what I was.

So I came to the conclusion that I just didn't want to lose weight, but rather get back to the shape (if not bigger) than what I was in my highschool/undergrad years...

I started lifting weights, cardio was kept to a minimum (other than for cardiovascular health reasons) and I lift 5x per week; my lower body is actually overdeveloped and dwarfs my upper body (product of being a volleyball player and being only 5'8" means I had to train my legs to jump higher than dudes 6'4"). Lower body workouts are usually 1-1.5 hours. Upperbody or arm/shoulder workouts are in excess of 2 hours. Currently cardio is kept to 2x per week at no more than 35 mins per session...

What really motivated me was entering a physique competition - I'll tell you the day you enter and you know how much time you have left to get your butt in gear you can "Feel" the difference in the gym. You are more motivated and more focused to OUTWORK the next guy that's going to show up. And the kicker is, you don't know who's going to show up...So then it's just you vs. you.

Cardio during the contest prep was only 5x/week at no more than 30 mins per session. The ABSOLUTELY GOOD THING about having more musclemass is getting away with less cardio to get lean.

For every 1-pound of muscle you add, you get to eat 50 more calories. Doesn't sound like a lot but pack on 10 lbs of muscle and that's equivalent to eating an extra Big-Mac from McDonald's without gaining any additional weight. However, I don't eat at McD anymore...But you get the point.

From now until next year I will be in my mass gaining phase, and hence, cardio is kept to a minimum of 2x per week and lifting 5x per week. So essentially I'm working out everyday, but it's not taxing. It's the nutritional habits that's taxing, but I've nailed it now thanks to my coach, Layne Norton. Google him. He has a lot of free articles and research papers publish. Guy has a Ph.D. in skeletal muscle protein synthesis and is a pro natural bodybuilder and has given back so much to the community.

Because of his expertise, I'm leaner and bigger and more enegetic than I've ever been. When you're deadlifting heavy or squatting or bench pressing heavy, playing with your kids or dealing with stresses at work just doesn't seem as tough any more. Now squatting with +300 lbs on your back that's OR deadlifting 335 lbs 4-5 times off the ground for 1-2 hours - that's tough!!! Running around with the kids - easy! Looking like the most ripped dad/husband at the beach - priceless :bigsmile:
  • jamielr84
    Options
    Wow! Awesome transformation! You look great. Thanks for sharing!
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    Found them...

Back when I was about 188 lbs.

1VUUtSQI9ZIbrsnnEyHlrHe2fevqDO943.jpeg

Back last week
    1NIfPmus3RFABE7C03GjvHgtEW27l7710.jpeg
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    Wife is so over taking photos of me. If it ain't photos that need to be taken so I can send them to Layne, she's not taking photos anymore :cry:
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would really like to see some of your before pics, when you were at your heaviest....you have clearly done an amazing job!!!

Here you go...

Left photo 271 lbs.
    Middle photo 200 lbs.
    Right photo 175 lbs.

1zi0kNow9V69fQrZo95brSLZUP8K0475.jpeg

WOOOOWWWWW!!!! YOU LOOK AMAZING! GREAT JOB!!:-)
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    ^^^Thanks - more work to do over the next year...
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    Pizza :happy:

index.cgi?action=downloadattachmentpage&board=nutrition&thread=1728&post=25871
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Can't see the pizza pic. :(
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    whoa amazing! Oh, and where does one get that ice cream?
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options

This ^^^^^ Your transformation is amazing. But yes, need the info on the ice cream.
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options

This ^^^^^ Your transformation is amazing. But yes, need the info on the ice cream.

I see the Ralph's by me carries it. AWESOME.
  • stardust91
    Options
    wow thats amazing!
  • zipnguyen
    Options
    Can't see the pizza pic. :(

The pizza is actually in my profile/bio page. For some reason, it wouldn't pull. I'll fix it when I get back to my desktop.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!