Could you eat McDonalds as part of a healthy diet?

Options

Replies

• Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    , Exactly. It is supposed to be a lifestyle and mindset change. Eat McDonnell's wel then can you drink or smoke. McDonnell's is pure garbage. What is in their meat??Rats? The chicken isn't real.
    I haven't cooked in years , now to be healthy and lose weight I am cooking, measuring weighing my food. I am exercising, and educating myself on nutrition. To me if you cannot give up McDonnell's, you are not ready and looking for the easy way out/

That's a bit extemist isn't it? To me, the people who go the most extreme end up crashing harder than those who use moderation.

Also rats?? It definately sounds like you don't have any solid facts on the ingredients here... BUT if there IS rats, then damn those things taste good! ;)
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    A Toronto family has filed a $17.5 million lawsuit against McDonald's of Canada, alleging that nine-year-old Ayan Abdi Jama took a bite of a McDonald's hamburger containing the crushed head of a rat, "complete with eyes, teeth, nose and whiskers."

The burger was cooked; the rat was not.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Rats?

Even Schlosser agrees McDonald's has the cleanest beef in the U.S.. Excel/Cargill, Tyson and ConAgra can't even come close to McDonald's standards and regulations, let alone the USDA.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    That's cool, but the idea of eating nothing but McDonald's for even one day makes me feel a bit ill. Good for her for having more tolerance than I! My boyfriend told me as a joke that the meat is from kangaroos; even though I know it's not true, it deters me from eating hamburgers there.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    A Toronto family has filed a $17.5 million lawsuit against McDonald's of Canada, alleging that nine-year-old Ayan Abdi Jama took a bite of a McDonald's hamburger containing the crushed head of a rat, "complete with eyes, teeth, nose and whiskers."

Even if true, the alleged incident took place in 1999. You're really reaching here. It was also alleged to be the result of employee tampering. Rat is not an "ingredient". *sigh*
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Oh? This case? Sounds to me like Ayan Abdi Jama's parents wanted a fraudulent payday...

In court papers, Ayan's parents claimed she has suffered both physical injury and "extensive psychological damages."

The lawsuit also contends that the restaurant's assistant manager attempted to confiscate the hamburger, but the girl's mother kept it and submitted it to a laboratory for testing. According to the Toronto Star, lab results indicate that the rat's head had been placed in the sandwich after the beef patties were cooked.

It's *ludicrous* to believe that there are purposely/regularly rat parts in fast food burgers. I rarely eat fast food, but I have absolutely no patience for ridiculous claims about nonexistent, urban-legend based food safety issues.

Edited to add... LOL - I see that others beat me to finding the real facts! :-)
  • AylaBean
    AylaBean Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between eating low cal and eating healthy. You can lose weight eating nothing but mccrapalds. It will eventually effect your health though since the food is garbage, contains plenty of chemicals, and lacks nutritional value. I don't consider most fast food, food. It's just processed garbage imo.
    Truth.
  • Megan2Project
    Options

So what you are saying is that "someone" put a rat head on a burger AFTER the cooking process... Not that there are actually rats in the meat. Sounds like some teenage boy made an expensive prank, OR the family placed it there in order to sue for legal damages... You run the risk of consuming food that has been tampered with, everytime you eat food you did not grow, pick an prepare yourself... That's not just McDonalds...
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    , Exactly. It is supposed to be a lifestyle and mindset change. Eat McDonnell's wel then can you drink or smoke. McDonnell's is pure garbage. What is in their meat??Rats? The chicken isn't real.
    I haven't cooked in years , now to be healthy and lose weight I am cooking, measuring weighing my food. I am exercising, and educating myself on nutrition. To me if you cannot give up McDonnell's, you are not ready and looking for the easy way out/

That's a bit extemist isn't it? To me, the people who go the most extreme end up crashing harder than those who use moderation.

Also rats?? It definately sounds like you don't have any solid facts on the ingredients here... BUT if there IS rats, then damn those things taste good! ;)

Maybe that post was extreme, but I find it odd that a lot of people think eating fast food is normal, that if you don't eat it, that's extreme, etc. It's only "normal" because so many people do it - that's what "normal" is. Some people rarely or never eat fast food and they do just fine. If people want to have it every day or in moderation, that's their choice, but to say that people who don't eat it are going to an extreme seems a little silly to me. It's "normal" to eat dogs in some countries, doesn't mean that people who don't are going to an extreme. Culture defines normal, and people can do just fine if they don't fit into what is normal - just because they don't follow what a lot of people do doesn't mean they're going to have a breakdown.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Extreme just means you are clearly on one side of the spectrum on an issue, that there is no gradient to your opinion. Being absolutely against fast food and integrating fast food into every meal are two extremes on the same spectrum.
  • Megan2Project
    Options

Maybe that post was extreme, but I find it odd that a lot of people think eating fast food is normal, that if you don't eat it, that's extreme, etc. It's only "normal" because so many people do it - that's what "normal" is. Some people rarely or never eat fast food and they do just fine. If people want to have it every day or in moderation, that's their choice, but to say that people who don't eat it are going to an extreme seems a little silly to me. It's "normal" to eat dogs in some countries, doesn't mean that people who don't are going to an extreme. Culture defines normal, and people can do just fine if they don't fit into what is normal - just because they don't follow what a lot of people do doesn't mean they're going to have a breakdown.

I'm sorry you mis-interpreted what I was saying. When I said it was extreme I was talking about this part "To me if you cannot give up McDonnell's, you are not ready and looking for the easy way out/"

You can live a healthy lifestyle and enjoy a chicken ceasar salad from McDonalds once every couple months... If there are people out there who regularly eat there 3-5 times per week and love it, then giving it up and not including it or any other foods that they really enjoy *may* not be the best option for them. Everyone is different and it has been said again and again that when you deprive yourself for too long you run the *RISK* of falling harder than if you have just been using moderation.

Many people need moderation in their diet so they don't feel too restricted. Eat healthy 90% and enjoy treats the other 10%, and I don't see anything wrong with that. Trust me I am ready for a change and I have been working it, BUT it needs to work for me and if that means having a fast food burger once a month, I don't think that that is unhealthy, and I KNOW its a LOT healthier then how I was eating previously.

Its OBVIOUS that someone who eats totally clean, and doesn't include any fast food of any sort has a healthy lifestyle. I didn't think I needed to state that.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm too cheap to spend my hard earned money on processed food when I can prepare it myself much more healthy and a lot less money.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options
    Good cause or not .. the simple fact is the food is high in fat and sodium and MSG (now proven to cause cancer) ... Just look at the "Nutrition Facts" and judge for yourself.

There are other ways to raise money and awareness .. no reason to risk anyone's health to do it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Good cause or not .. the simple fact is the food is high in fat and sodium and MSG (now proven to cause cancer) ... Just look at the "Nutrition Facts" and judge for yourself.

There are other ways to raise money and awareness .. no reason to risk anyone's health to do it.

MSG is now proven to cause cancer, studies supporting this?

what makes MSG terrible and glutamates fine?
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

Maybe the meat at McDonnell's is made from rats.

Not sure about McDonald's though. Pretty sure it's chicken.
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    Options

Maybe the meat at McDonnell's is made from rats.

Not sure about McDonald's though. Pretty sure it's chicken.

If they say it's chicken .. it HAS to be chicken. A friend watched a documentary on it one time .. when they 'brewed' up the meat for their chicken mcnuggets. They grind all the meat up, press them into forms and bread them with a breading mixture. Oh, by the way .. they use chicken alright .. EVERYpart of a chicken .. brains, innards, even eyeballs...but, sure as shoot'n it's ALL chicken!

Ever since I heard about this 'process' .. I don't want to even drive in their parking lot. Can't even think about it, without gagging.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between eating low cal and eating healthy. You can lose weight eating nothing but mccrapalds. It will eventually effect your health though since the food is garbage, contains plenty of chemicals, and lacks nutritional value. I don't consider most fast food, food. It's just processed garbage imo.
    It has protein, carbs and fats. Your body doesn't distinguish these macros whether it's from a hamburger or meatloaf.
    And calling the food garbage is subjective and some would take offense since this could be construed as an opinion of the choices they make. Also you'd have to show evidence (peer reviewed clinical study) about it affecting one's health. Personally I've eaten it for over 40 years and don't suffer from any effects that some say eating it would cause (high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, etc.)
    I would never try to be a vegetarian and would end up eating all the time to get the calories and macronutrients I need to sustain my physique, but I wouldn't refer to their diets as dumb or stupid.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Me? No.
    I could not eat it, Sam I am.
    Haven't stepped foot in a McDonald's except to use the potty for more than 22 years. Can't STAND it!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    In my opinion, no way. It could be part of a low cal diet... but healthy, nope. It's so processed and full of sodium and junk. After I started using MFP and eating healthy, there have been days when we need a quick meal and picked up McDonalds and I feel so crappy after eating it, I'm talking headache, sluggish... bathroom "problems". I can't imagine eating it for 31 days straight. Whoever is doing that, well they can do whatever they want I guess. Stuffing myself with fast food and risking my health sure doesn't seem like a good way to raise support for a good cause. Raise they money by having a 5k or something.
    Subjective. As long as you get in your daily essentials, you can practically eat anything you want as long as you stay within your calorie limits. There have been a few people that have eaten NOTHING but junk food and had their cholesterol, triglycerides and body fat go down.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have to agree here. You could do low calorie, but I couldn't imagine it could be healthy if it was something that was long term. I haven't seen 'Supersize' but from what I heard it was not a good result. I also read an article recently about the popular foods that add cellulose (wood pulp) to their ingredients. McD's was on that list.

I do admire her cause! This was a good way to get the attention to her effort. Hope it pays off!
    There is "filler" (wood pulp) in many foods besides McDonald's. It's NOT dangerous or unhealthy.

IDEA Fitness member