Could you eat McDonalds as part of a healthy diet?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    , Exactly. It is supposed to be a lifestyle and mindset change. Eat McDonnell's wel then can you drink or smoke. McDonnell's is pure garbage. What is in their meat??Rats? The chicken isn't real.
    I haven't cooked in years , now to be healthy and lose weight I am cooking, measuring weighing my food. I am exercising, and educating myself on nutrition. To me if you cannot give up McDonnell's, you are not ready and looking for the easy way out/
    So I guess that people like myself that eat "garbage" don't have better health than someone like you who eats much better?
    I've eaten it for over 40 years. I must be really dumb.<eye roll>
    To me people who judge how others eat, especially when for some reason they got overweight on "healthier choices", have to get off that high horse.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    A Toronto family has filed a $17.5 million lawsuit against McDonald's of Canada, alleging that nine-year-old Ayan Abdi Jama took a bite of a McDonald's hamburger containing the crushed head of a rat, "complete with eyes, teeth, nose and whiskers."

The burger was cooked; the rat was not.
    And of course this was PROVEN in court? Sorry, but listening to news on some people who may be just trying to get some money is not the best way to make decisions.

IDEA Fitness member
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    What amazes me is people are still buying into the entire "McDonalds is poison and unhealthy" bit. Let's do an example shall we:

Example:

One middle aged man (we'll call him Bob) has been eating 3 meals a day of nothing but McDonalds cheeseburgers and fries for the past 3 months, but is eating a calorie deficit and is losing weight at 1-2 lbs per week and he is exercising 3-4 times a week.

versus

One middle aged man (we'll call him Fred) has been eating 3 meals a day everyday for the past 3 months composed of whole foods but is eating a calorie surplus, doesn't exercise, and sits on the couch all day long.

Which of these two men is the unhealthy one?
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    They grind all the meat up, press them into forms and bread them with a breading mixture. Oh, by the way .. they use chicken alright .. EVERYpart of a chicken .. brains, innards, even eyeballs...but, sure as shoot'n it's ALL chicken!

Ever since I heard about this 'process' .. I don't want to even drive in their parking lot. Can't even think about it, without gagging.

I think you'll find the same is true for any highly processed meat product. Not just at McDonalds.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

If they say it's chicken .. it HAS to be chicken. A friend watched a documentary on it one time .. when they 'brewed' up the meat for their chicken mcnuggets. They grind all the meat up, press them into forms and bread them with a breading mixture. Oh, by the way .. they use chicken alright .. EVERYpart of a chicken .. brains, innards, even eyeballs...but, sure as shoot'n it's ALL chicken!

Ever since I heard about this 'process' .. I don't want to even drive in their parking lot. Can't even think about it, without gagging.

That is actually a very efficient use of the animals. People in many places in the world eat ALL the offal along with the muscle tissue and fat that "Western cultures" traditionally consume. Frankly, I don't see a difference between eating a muscle and eating an organ. It's better than slaughtering an animal, cutting off the breast meat and discarding the rest.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    , Exactly. It is supposed to be a lifestyle and mindset change. Eat McDonnell's wel then can you drink or smoke. McDonnell's is pure garbage. What is in their meat??Rats? The chicken isn't real.
    I haven't cooked in years , now to be healthy and lose weight I am cooking, measuring weighing my food. I am exercising, and educating myself on nutrition. To me if you cannot give up McDonnell's, you are not ready and looking for the easy way out/

Maybe the meat at McDonnell's is made from rats.

Not sure about McDonald's though. Pretty sure it's chicken.

If they say it's chicken .. it HAS to be chicken. A friend watched a documentary on it one time .. when they 'brewed' up the meat for their chicken mcnuggets. They grind all the meat up, press them into forms and bread them with a breading mixture. Oh, by the way .. they use chicken alright .. EVERYpart of a chicken .. brains, innards, even eyeballs...but, sure as shoot'n it's ALL chicken!

What does that have to do with it being healthy or not?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    A Toronto family has filed a $17.5 million lawsuit against McDonald's of Canada, alleging that nine-year-old Ayan Abdi Jama took a bite of a McDonald's hamburger containing the crushed head of a rat, "complete with eyes, teeth, nose and whiskers."

The burger was cooked; the rat was not.
    And of course this was PROVEN in court? Sorry, but listening to news on some people who may be just trying to get some money is not the best way to make decisions.

Even if that was true, it doesn't mean that the meat is "made" of rats or that is a common occurrence. It's just as likely for a rat to find its way into any restaurant or a home and get into some shenanigans.

To answer the original question, of course you can eat fast food as part of a healthy diet. I lost the majority of my weight over this summer while working and eating at Burger King.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I've heard bad things about the cyproterone McDonald's adds to the fries. I think I'll just stick with burger king.
  • servilia
    Options
    I've heard bad things about the cyproterone McDonald's adds to the fries. I think I'll just stick with burger king.

But that's still fast food and hence, EVIL!! :wink: :laugh:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

Does that make me evil? :flowerforyou:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    So I guess that people like myself that eat "garbage" don't have better health than someone like you who eats much better?
    To me people who judge how others eat, especially when for some reason they got overweight on "healthier choices", have to get off that high horse.

LOL...40 years ninerbuff? How are you even still alive? You obviously cannot think for yourself and have no control over your appetite and actions.

Joking. :smile:

I really am amazed at the contempt expressed for those of us who choose to indulge in fast-food. :frown:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

rst126.gif
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    I didn't read all of this, just browsed the first page but I know these two things:

1) It's great it's being done for a cause but there are really better ways to show one's support and work for a cause than purposely poisoning the body.

2) There are some "good" foods at McDonald's (I'm utterly addicted to their brocolli and cheese soup!) but it really isn't just about the calories. That's only one part of it. Even if the one doing this kept the calories low, it's also the type of food, and that type of food is greasy, fattening, and extremely unhealthy and it will affect her body in a lot of negative ways, even if the calorie count is okay.

Fast food is just that - fast food. It's not good, it's not healthy, so really priorities have to be set here. Is the WAY the support is being done worth it? I'm not saying she shouldn't support the cause. I admire that, but personally, I think the way it's being done isn't going to help anybody, especially her.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

rst126.gif

if nothing else...I learned a new word: "cyproterone." Yay for Google.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I don't personally eat fast food of any kind. I don't particularly like the way it tastes anymore (though I did when I was younger) and the last time I had it (about 3 or 4 years ago) it didn't sit well in my tummy. Plus, I figure if I'm going to use 1000 calories on a meal - I'm gonna get the most bang for my buck (give me steak, crab legs, and cake). I personally don't care if other people choose to consume it - it isn't my place to tell someone else what to eat or not to eat.

What bugs me is when people who do eat fast food decide to judge those of us who don't. I am not a perfect eater by any stretch and I enjoy my share of "processed" food - it just so happens that I don't enjoy fast food.

If you wanna eat it, go ahead.. it doesn't bother me. But, just remember that some of us simply do not like how it tastes or makes us feel and there's NOTHING wrong with us not wanting to eat it either.
  • trazrene
    Options
    We live very rural Kansas, so you have to do some driving just to get near a McDs. We eat mostly foods that are made from scratch, no chemicals. The last time I ate at the arches not only was I physically sick, but had messed up my digestive system for days. I'll pass on all the chemicals and preservatives, thank you.
  • servilia
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I don't personally eat fast food of any kind. I don't particularly like the way it tastes anymore (though I did when I was younger) and the last time I had it (about 3 or 4 years ago) it didn't sit well in my tummy. Plus, I figure if I'm going to use 1000 calories on a meal - I'm gonna get the most bang for my buck (give me steak, crab legs, and cake). I personally don't care if other people choose to consume it - it isn't my place to tell someone else what to eat or not to eat.

What bugs me is when people who do eat fast food decide to judge those of us who don't. I am not a perfect eater by any stretch and I enjoy my share of "processed" food - it just so happens that I don't enjoy fast food.

If you wanna eat it, go ahead.. it doesn't bother me. But, just remember that some of us simply do not like how it tastes or makes us feel and there's NOTHING wrong with us not wanting to eat it either.

I don't mind at all if someone prefers not to eat it. I don't find that anyone says there's anything wrong with you folk that choose not to. It's the other way around on these threads. Usually the people that never eat fast foods are the ones that come on here and tell us we're eating "garbage" and "poison" and I find that offensive. Not talking about you here, you didn't do that, just talking about others..
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Ok it's been posed to me that my title was miss leading. The statement of don't judge a book by it's cover comes to mind. If you read my post you'd understand that I have nothing against personal opinion, I'd just appreciate some positive response toward the goal of this amazing woman. You come here post opinion totally based on the title without reading the info. Title is just that title. I don't mind if you comment toward the title but also appreciate the effort someone is giving toward furthering good will toward others. At least if nothing else acknowledge it. I know that for a fact (as I have experienced) titles have been made for much less worthy stories in the news. It's not just about the title but the story as well. If it weren't for a title you'd not pick up the book to begin with and the story generally makes the title as it is. Not angry just frustrated that her good will is being overlooked in this thread if not down played. It's sad to me because people come here for encouragement and the majority are on here in this feed overlooking the goodwill done.
  • DevanEve
    DevanEve Posts: 130
    Options
    Wouldn't that still do some damage to your insides though? I guess it all depends on what she eats...

You can watch the film Supersize Me. It'll show his health condition when it's all done.
  • servilia
    Options
    Ok it's been posed to me that my title was miss leading. The statement of don't judge a book by it's cover comes to mind. If you read my post you'd understand that I have nothing against personal opinion, I'd just appreciate some positive response toward the goal of this amazing woman. You come here post opinion totally based on the title without reading the info. Title is just that title. I don't mind if you comment toward the title but also appreciate the effort someone is giving toward furthering good will toward others. At least if nothing else acknowledge it. I know that for a fact (as I have experienced) titles have been made for much less worthy stories in the news. It's not just about the title but the story as well. If it weren't for a title you'd not pick up the book to begin with and the story generally makes the title as it is. Not angry just frustrated that her good will is being overlooked in this thread if not down played. It's sad to me because people come here for encouragement and the majority are on here in this feed overlooking the goodwill done.

I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that she's definitely helping a worthy cause! :) Good for her!!